The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many HD crashes/data loss did you have?
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Head

How many HD crashes/data loss did you have?

Fellow sufferers,

Today my NAS Apple drive said byebye. 2TB of ITunes content are cruising now somewhere between Moon and Mars.

In February this year my Synology Thunderbolt SSD RAID refused to mount. 4TB gone with the wind.

5 years ago my first Backup RAID (old HDs) crashed. With some luck I rescued the data and transferred it to a new RAID. This RAID collapsed 3 years ago.

So all in all I had a loss of 9TB in about 5 years.

Anybody better than this?

Yes I know: You have to backup your drives. And, yes Sir, I did so. But I hate this "walking on thin ice" feeling.

I would like to share this video. It's about photography, but as you might understand he is my friend now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GB3SDe9Sl4

Last edited by Fugist; 20th May 2017 at 08:35 AM..
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

I feel you. I've had zero crashes for over 10 years using the traditional hard drives. Since switching to SSD drives I've had 3 major crashes in the last 2 years which required a complete re-install of Mac OS. I just don't trust SSDs anymore and I would always use a traditional hard drive for backups. My most important data I backup with with 10 year old Magneto Optical drive.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

SSDs are not fault tolerant media. I do use them for tracking, but at the end of the day, I back up the session to a real hard drive. I do set up systems with SSDs as the os drive (only on request of the customer), but In those cases, I program the os so all of the swap and temp files are in a ram drive that auto saves at shutdown onto a usb stick I mount inside the computer tower.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Guru

My main problem over the years has been corrupted PT sessions and individual .wav files, not HD issues.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post
SSDs are not fault tolerant media. I do use them for tracking, but at the end of the day, I back up the session to a real hard drive. I do set up systems with SSDs as the os drive (only on request of the customer), but In those cases, I program the os so all of the swap and temp files are in a ram drive that auto saves at shutdown onto a usb stick I mount inside the computer tower.
That sounds pretty smart....
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
I feel you. I've had zero crashes for over 10 years using the traditional hard drives. Since switching to SSD drives I've had 3 major crashes in the last 2 years which required a complete re-install of Mac OS. I just don't trust SSDs anymore and I would always use a traditional hard drive for backups. My most important data I backup with with 10 year old Magneto Optical drive.
Didn't know that SSD are so unreliable. Like the MO thing. I think I have to get back to DVD/Blu Ray storage. For the TBs of sounds I'll need another solution..
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Even though I find it harder to find brand names I trust at a local store, I haven't had an HD failure in about 10 years. I did have two regular HD's I replace start acting up, but they didn't fail, and I was able to extract all data (and even run the OS on a USB enclosure).

That said, I feel lucky. It seems like a lot of these HD's fail, and SSD's more so. I do back up regularly, and my drive containing all my music, samples, patches, etc, is not an SSD, brand name, so that is easy to get files back, I still wonder how long that drive, but more so my C: SSD's will last.

When reading reviews for HD's of various speeds, and SSD's, IMO, it started to feel like HD's have become "consumer products" rather than by commercially reliable. Even the reviewers seemed to only find an HD not lasting for more than 3 months being more inconvenient than a major problem.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Having used hard drives for 30 years too many to count, I once had two laptop drives fail within a day of each other!

For the important stuff use a 3-2-1 backup strategy...at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (or different devices), and at least 1 copy offsite.

For instance I have a copy of my home files (encrypted) at my office, and a copy of my office files at home. I use syncing software to update the differences.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Having used hard drives for 30 years too many to count, I once had two laptop drives fail within a day of each other!

For the important stuff use a 3-2-1 backup strategy...at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (or different devices), and at least 1 copy offsite.

For instance I have a copy of my home files (encrypted) at my office, and a copy of my office files at home. I use syncing software to update the differences.
To keep the backups fresh that are offsite: Do you have to carry them to your office now and then? I'm not aware of a software which is capable of file copying and syncing via internet. Would be great!
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

never lost data. Firewire backup to 5TB. In reality I have lost two drives and the back up was fresh.
The rule is 2 backups because during restore you could restore the blank drive to your data.
or the backup could get damaged.

I had a backup go bad and the main DAW was fresh.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

My failed drives collection is 7 most of them failed of just being of certain age and got no broken sata hd only few ssd .

Top one is IBM Deskstar that made a big dent in reputation

Old 21st May 2017
Gear Nut

No hard drive crashes, but a heap of my earlier music that wasn't backed up very well has gone missing or become inaccessible over time due to borrowed and then lost or damaged CDs
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Even though I find it harder to find brand names I trust at a local store, I haven't had an HD failure in about 10 years. I did have two regular HD's I replace start acting up, but they didn't fail, and I was able to extract all data (and even run the OS on a USB enclosure).

That said, I feel lucky. It seems like a lot of these HD's fail, and SSD's more so. I do back up regularly, and my drive containing all my music, samples, patches, etc, is not an SSD, brand name, so that is easy to get files back, I still wonder how long that drive, but more so my C: SSD's will last.

When reading reviews for HD's of various speeds, and SSD's, IMO, it started to feel like HD's have become "consumer products" rather than by commercially reliable. Even the reviewers seemed to only find an HD not lasting for more than 3 months being more inconvenient than a major problem.

I've always stuck with industrial class hard drives for the tracking. They are 5 year warranty drives. For the past 17 years of working with digital recording, I've been using Western digital drives with no issues. Now these days the drives I would recommend from them would be ones with 200 MB/s and up for multi tracking. WD gold and WD red Pro series.
I've also been testing the 10 TB WD purple drive and it seems to be great for this too, but I've only been using one for tracking, and haven't ran it through the works with os beatings so it hasn't made the list truly yet.

So the gold and the red pro are good to build with and the 10TB purple seems very promising.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Triple redundancy on the data drives. Your computer WILL crash and burn, but if you keep 3 copies you'll never lose the good stuff.

I got the idea talking to a jet fighter pilot, all the planes have triple redundancy.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Your computer WILL crash and burn
Ya, it's NOT IF BUT WHEN!!!!
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

but I also believe in running redundant daws. Dante makes this cheaper to do now these days
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
My failed drives collection is 7 most of them failed of just being of certain age and got no broken sata hd only few ssd .

Top one is IBM Deskstar that made a big dent in reputation

Nice little tower of desasters...
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post
but I also believe in running redundant daws. Dante makes this cheaper to do now these days
you mean recording into two different DAWs simultaniously?
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugist View Post
you mean recording into two different DAWs simultaniously?
yep and master /slave them via MTC
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

nice thing about it @Fugist I can track them that way then I tun off the slave computer, and unplug it from the power strip, then I start mixing it. if my computer get hit by lightning, I lose my post production but I can plug back in the other computer and contine my work till the other one is rebuilt.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Triple redundancy on the data drives. Your computer WILL crash and burn, but if you keep 3 copies you'll never lose the good stuff.

I got the idea talking to a jet fighter pilot, all the planes have triple redundancy.
Just make sure you keep things in different places. I have seen too many people buy some complex backup system, only to have a flood, fire, theft, etc, and the backups went with the main drive. Many people consider this, many don't, just stating it because it is important.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Only two HD crashes. A 40 meg Seagate which was backed up, and a 250 gig laptop which wasn't, midway thru a 7500 program point light show setup. That one cost me two weeks of re-programming.

Neither begin to compare to losing a network to malicious intrusion. Lost two here. Good luck even figuring out where to start recovering from one of those, without re-infecting newly clean filesystems.
Old 15th June 2017
I've had several, at least 5 and no backup. After my last one, I begun making a backup. Sad but true, with so much going on I've had no time to make a current backup. Guess it's time to do it again.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

For security reasons, I backed up the last few posts, cant be to careful now days.

Attached Thumbnails
How many HD crashes/data loss did you have?-capture.jpg  
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I've had several, at least 5 and no backup. After my last one, I begun making a backup. Sad but true, with so much going on I've had no time to make a current backup. Guess it's time to do it again.
I bought a Western Digital external HD and found that the software was actually more valuable (to me) than the HD. Now, I have a separate HD for music and my programs are on a solid state drive but back up is simple and easy. I don't backup my C: because I don't really have a need. I don't know how well it would restore a computer, but files is easy. If you google search "Western Digital Backup Software", I think you can get it for free, without HD purchase, if I recall correctly.

My backups take about 10 min tops, usually less. Do it regularly and it is not hard. Set a reminder on your phone on a day you know you have time. Loosing an HD is just so rough. My only failure without backup was when I just started so even though I don't really miss anything, now that I am not only much better, I have much more material that I simply couldn't recreate, samples and sound banks that are not available, I just make myself do it.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Bringing a new computer up, I first patch the OS to date, then patch the AV to date, then hang a new directory named Data directly off the root. (Handy, right near the top of the file structure.)

Three directories under that, Backups, Media, and Net Setup. Backups is where phone dumps and data files that stay embedded in programs, like Bookmark files, go, properly IDed and dated.

Media holds Audio, Images, Text and Videos.
Net Setup holds every file I download, drivers, apps, plugs, etc. Not the installed programs, the zip files that hold them.

Been set up this way since Win 3.1, no problems with the structure yet. Backup consists of two steps, dumping phone and copying Bookmark type files over to Data, then copying Data in its entirety to the backup media. Direct NTSF file copy, no compression between me and my files.

I don't have a backup I trust until I open a file from each section from the backup media.

Since I'm running a network, the finished multi PC backup goes to my Master Network File Server, where new material is integrated into the Master File System, after which, that gets backed up too.

Next trip to the bank, the new backup goes into a Safe Deposit Box, and the old comes back here to a fire resistant safe, onsite if needed, until its,wiped clean in prep for the next backup.

At any given time, a file exists 4 places. On its normal host PC, under Data, on the Master File Server, on the new Backup in the vault, and on the old backup onsite.

Except for a brief experiment back in the DOS days with a proprietary tape compression backup system, I have access to every digital file I ever created, live on the network, and archived offsite, no worries about whether I chased down all the scattered files or not.
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac
I never had a hd crash but i do keep extensive backups. Too much valuable stuff that cannot be replaced so I always make sure to have backups and redundancies in place. I use a synology nas with backups going and my macs with time machine.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Maniac

About ten years ago I had a friend come over for beers and recording, we recorded some music with his out of tune guitar. Unfortunately the hard drive crashed and all was lost, to this day this guy still think I stole his music.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search