The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Posters--Please fill out your GS profile
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Posters--Please fill out your GS profile

Posters--please fill out the "About Me" section of your GS profile.

Otherwise no one can tell if you are anybody.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I recordi ergo sum (after Descartes)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

That is why I left mine blank.

So no one can tell I am nobody.

They'll just have to assume it for themselves.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
That is why I left mine blank.

So no one can tell I am nobody.

They'll just have to assume it for themselves.
I thought you were just that multi-abled kid who sure played a mean pinball...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I'm happy to be a nobody - I'm all mind and no body.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
I'm happy to be a nobody - I'm all mind and no body.
I'd rather be loved for my personality anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Who wants to know? Ça ne me fait rien. Will we be issued uniforms?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I checked mine out - it says "old ******"....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey - what's wrong with ******?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Actually, it is sort of fun to read about you guys. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Since there are so many people on GS ruining the recording business with low, low confidence rates, myth spreading, fake authority posts riddled with inaccuracies, I need to know if you are for real.

Real posters offer their location, their studio affiliation, they have friends on GS in their friends list, and their provenance and authority can be traced.

To me it is not funny.

If your profile is not filled out, I can't tell if you are anybody.

Don't be one of the unwashed.

For the home recordists mocking my thread----

UP YOURSELF

Last edited by Plush; 1 week ago at 01:42 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well personally I'll still talk to you guys even if you don't have your profile filled out.

Better yet, I'll still talk to you even if you have your profile filled out and you are a nobody

I like being a nobody!

And I like that the internet is a great equalizer where everyone's viewpoint is valid. You have to take each post on its own merits rather than the merits of the person posting it.

Heck, I've gotten some great advice on here from nobodies!

-Not Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hudson, you are on a forum of the internet...the great leveller. Last time I looked this wasn't "Linked In".....but tell more about your "need to know"......

Decide for yourself if the calibre of somebody's contributions are worthy of your attention or not, based on their character and, if applicable their posted recording samples. This is a broad church, which welcomes people of all levels of experience....give and take.

Many of us have no studio affiliation...Tony Faulkner is proudly one of those, to take but one example. This talk of anybody/nobody is offensive and belies elitism under the surface.

Profiling (of ethnicities and other indices of demarcation) has taken on a bad smell in recent times, don't champion it here, as you have with Asian products in the past.

In conclusion, you're old enough to remember the prose poem 'Desiderata' (Les Crane et al):

" As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The simplest way to do it is to require full, real names to post a la PSW.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Since there are so many people on GS ruining the recording business
your posts are interesting but tend to confuse consumerism with recording technique

"a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No certainly not. Tony Faulkner runs Green Room Productions and everyone knows that. Not trying to make it LinkedIn. Trying to urge the assembled community to be telling others about themselves. It DOES matter who your influences are. It does MAKE A DIFFERENCE where you have worked. It CERTAINLY matters who your mentors are.

Saying all opinions have the same weight is just as untrue here as with any people one meets in life.

Cynics and naysayers can UP YOURSELVES.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
your posts are interesting but tend to confuse consumerism with recording technique

"a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods"
Garbage. Fill out your profile.

You cannot parse the subtleties of the English language.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Since there are so many people on GS ruining the recording business with low, low confidence rates, myth spreading, fake authority posts riddled with inaccuracies, I need to know if you are for real.

Real posters offer their location, their studio affiliation, they have friends on GS in their friends list, and their provenance and authority can be traced.

To me it is not funny.

UP YOURSELF
I actually kind of agree with Plush, in a way.

I'm not a recording engineer and I think I make it clear in my profile. I'm a cello prof. But, I've been doing recordings as a serious hobby for over 20 years.

Anyway, when I first came on GS I thought I knew more than I did and listening to the uploads here from the verified pros, reading their very informative posts, seeing their credentials, and listening to their sound cloud uploads, I have much less of a big mouth around here (though still opinionated haha). But reading the credentials and experience of the posters here, for me, has been quite helpful as a hobbyist, if not just for curiosity sake.

And I can also see Plush's point about the decline of the recording arts. It drives me nuts to see musicians putting up $100 USB mics into their laptop positioned in awful places when it's an important recital. Then they post these terrible recordings of recitals on youtube and I just want to rip out my hair. It's a real problem. I do my best to instill in my students the importance of getting quality recordings and that it is worth it to pay some money for it. It's ridiculous to practice so much for a performance and not have a quality archive of it. I also push them to get a quality recording after their recital while it's still fresh in their fingers to develop a good library of recordings of their performances that they can use in their career. It's absolutely necessary, it's not an option.

Back to the point...

If posters are not comfortable giving their personal names or studio names, it would be super cool if they at least indicate a little about their background and how long they have been a professional RE. Just a thought from the hobbyist perspective.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm... anyone else forget to take their meds today?

Enjoy the spring holidays folks, whoever and wherever you are!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hudson, most of us realize that it's your "thing" to be abrasive and opinionated, the Simon Cowell of the forum if you will, and that's fine.

This however has crossed the line into abusiveness and I hope it will not be tolerated in a welcoming and open forum like Gearslutz. I like hearing from all people, no matter what their experience level or affiliation, and do not want people like you to scare anybody away.

I have reported your posts to the moderators and will no longer be participating in this thread. I hope others will do so also.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

What Plush is talking about is the decline of the recording business. I went to a luncheon where he gave a talk to new recording engineers, engineers that recently left college and working as assistants etc. The point he stressed was to not beg for a job with low prices. Charge what you think you're worth and since this is a business get a fair wage so that you can support yourself, in other words don't undersell your value. When you give away your work it just screws up the industry, don't back off of your worth. The same thing happened in the Photography business many years ago. My studio was equipped with the best 8X10, 4X5, 2 1/4 and 35mm cameras and lenses, plus a full darkroom to print 4X5 and smaller, Color or B&W. Along comes someone with a 35mm camera operating out of a house (no darkroom of course) don't know how to print, underbidding everybody's prices. Pretty soon the business get's messed up for everyone and prices go down. The low bidders also leave the business and get a regular job and look at what's left.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Hudson, most of us realize that it's your "thing" to be abrasive and opinionated, the Simon Cowell of the forum if you will, and that's fine.

This however has crossed the line into abusiveness and I hope it will not be tolerated in a welcoming and open forum like Gearslutz. I like hearing from all people, no matter what their experience level or affiliation, and do not want people like you to scare anybody away.
Laughable. Since when is asking "tell us who you are" equitable to abusiveness??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post

I have reported your posts to the moderators and will no longer be participating in this thread. I hope others will do so also.

-Mike
Call me Plush!
Sorry, but you characterize me in a totally inaccurate manner. I am neither abrasive nor scaring anyone. I have staked out a position that I feel would be helpful here.

Likewise the poster who accuses me of profiling is delusional. Others here pose as easily offended.

Instead, exactly what the title suggests!

I hope that people will fill out their profiles.
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Come on, brother Plush.

Let's be a bit more respectful to our fellow Remotesters!

Quote:

You cannot parse the subtleties of the English language.
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

That being said, let's keep an open mind to the newbies, journeyman, and masters. IMHO, everyone has value in this forum of Remoteness.

Quote:

To me it is not funny.

UP YOURSELF
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope that people will fill out their profiles.
Plush - a lot of folks here have websites etc listed in their sigs which perhaps already gives a lot of info about them. Is that an acceptable compromise?

In broader terms I do agree that members operating under made-up alias names more often fail to display the same level of courtesy and gravitas as a real person, but it's great to see so many people (particularly in this section of the Forum) prepared to contribute under their actual names.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Decide for yourself if the calibre of somebody's contributions are worthy of your attention or not, based on their character and, if applicable their posted recording samples. This is a broad church, which welcomes people of all levels of experience....give and take.
This is key. I took "nobody can tell if you are anybody" and "provenance and authority can be traced" to mean that anyone without a certain level of experience / pedigree as gleaned from their profile would have their comments on this board dismissed / derided.

Many of us here are in fact amateur recordists and do not have the level of training, experience, or equipment as the professionals. That doesn't mean we don't have something valuable to contribute, or that our inferior equipment cannot be used to make good recordings.

But what do I know?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
And I can also see Plush's point about the decline of the recording arts. It drives me nuts to see musicians putting up $100 USB mics into their laptop positioned in awful places when it's an important recital. Then they post these terrible recordings of recitals on youtube and I just want to rip out my hair. It's a real problem. I do my best to instill in my students the importance of getting quality recordings and that it is worth it to pay some money for it. It's ridiculous to practice so much for a performance and not have a quality archive of it. I also push them to get a quality recording after their recital while it's still fresh in their fingers to develop a good library of recordings of their performances that they can use in their career. It's absolutely necessary, it's not an option.
This is the best off topic advice I've ever read!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
This is the best off topic advice I've ever read!
Haha Thank you! I felt the rant coming out and couldn't resist. Hopefully they will listen!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
This is key. I took "nobody can tell if you are anybody" and "provenance and authority can be traced" to mean that anyone without a certain level of experience / pedigree as gleaned from their profile would have their comments on this board dismissed / derided.

Many of us here are in fact amateur recordists and do not have the level of training, experience, or equipment as the professionals. That doesn't mean we don't have something valuable to contribute, or that our inferior equipment cannot be used to make good recordings.

But what do I know?
This is not the AES, but I'd like to think it supports many of the organization's ideals...and it has the capacity to help all who participate to make better recordings than they were able to before coming on board ?

Collegiality can work on numerous levels..it can be as specific as "Connloyalist" trying to nail the problems of recording a brass ensemble in a particularly problematic room, which is a persistent issue for her. It can be the consistently epic recordings of "Rolo 46" demonstrating the capabilities of dual fig 8 mics, or the exhortations of Plush for us all to charge appropriately for our recording services.
There are many issues which have, can and should be given air-time here...and some of the most insightful observations have come from those whose experiences are outside of the audio realm...where business practices may be different but can lend useful advice, to cite but one example.

If my humble, small-scale experiences can help others I'm grateful...and if I can glean info on practices or equipment which can improve my craft I'll happily accept those. I'll be eternally grateful that Plush turned me toward the DAV mic-amps, and the Sennheiser MKH8000 series: two of the most significant additions to my kit.

The Tonmeister training he underwent might be the envy of many of us...this forum is the most accessible substitute for that we might expect to attain ?

We should all be proud that this forum requires relatively few regulatory interventions from Steve, and the the signal to noise ratio is consistently high...spiced with humour along the way !
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search