The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Posters--Please fill out your GS profile
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Sorry--I feel you're putting words in my mouth when you talk about assigning status to who someone is over their words and writing.
Mine is a simple request to know more about each poster.

Certainly I agree with the rest of your post.
I am less interested in GS and the Remote Forum when I can't see the background and affiliation of those who talk here.
Well, it was the if you are anybody thing. But it was my bad for not reading more recent posts and seeing that aspect had already been covered. Sorry about that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Well, it was the if you are anybody thing.
It doesn't mean what you think it means, you silly. Same as "wiretap."
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Never said nothin' about using real names or listing equipment.

I asked that posters fill out the "About Me" section of their profile.

Ah. In that case, yes why not?!

That I do do.
Old 1 week ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am less interested in GS and the Remote Forum when I can't see the background and affiliation of those who talk here.
I think that depends on whether you see this as a commercial or a technical forum. I see it mostly as technical, so background and affiliation are less important than content. If I'm at the bar kibitzing with other audio guys, knowing where they fit in the industry helps me avoid foot-in-mouth disease. OTOH, I like to think that my AES Journal articles were accepted for their technical merit, NOT my background and affiliation!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
I think that depends on whether you see this as a commercial or a technical forum. I see it mostly as technical, so background and affiliation are less important than content. If I'm at the bar kibitzing with other audio guys, knowing where they fit in the industry helps me avoid foot-in-mouth disease. OTOH, I like to think that my AES Journal articles were accepted for their technical merit, NOT my background and affiliation!
I wrote my opinion because I believe that one's background is the basis for the one's written (posted) content.
So I AM vitally interested in poster's backgrounds and influences / mentors.

We all should know that an AES paper from no one is never published.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As we should all recognize why he said that.
Old 6 days ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, then, my AES publications should have been rejected, as I was pretty much nobody at the time; I was neither in an audio-related academic program nor employed in the audio industry. I have to assume the journal editors accepted them based on technical merit.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

So I'm confused. Does a nobody who publishes AES papers become a somebody? If that person is just as brilliant but unpublished, what then?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I am pleased that your paper was published. But it has nothing to do with our discussion at hand. I defined carefully in the English language what I mean. Please keep to the subject. I have made my ideas and opinions very clear. They are opinions.

For Mr. Hahn, stop following me around and posting passive-aggressive commentary. You have attempted to paint me as a fascist and class-conscious arbiter of credibility. Since I am not that, you have failed in your fruitless pursuit.

It is unbecoming of you to take that path.

The thread has probably run its course.

But for other posters, do fill out the "About Me" section of your profile.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For Mr. Hahn, stop following me around and posting passive-aggressive commentary.
I respect your work and your expertise in your niche and the industry recognition you've earned. But when I call you out, it's because you're being a snob and a bully. And up to now, I haven't reacted to that thing you said about Neumann M50's giving you a hard-on, but... Jesus, man. That one defined a whole new category.

So get some class. And google "fascist."
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Wont take the bait, baby.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again I've met many amateurs who know more and do more than pros do, because the amateur does it for fun, while many pros typically just know what they need to know to get the job done (at least the ones I've met). The only real difference is the pro gets paid for it while the amateur does it in their free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
I think that depends on whether you see this as a commercial or a technical forum. I see it mostly as technical, so background and affiliation are less important than content.
Agree. Maybe what's needed is a "PROS ONLY" section where you are required to prove your pedigree before being allowed access to it, and they can compare their qualifications there and talk shop there. Actually, I probably wouldn't be allowed in because although I run an auditorium and use mixers, compressors, DIs, etc., I do it as a volunteer.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
[...]

Well, I think we can all agree on that one.

If no one chops down a tree in a forest, there is no sound, subjective, objective, or anything in between.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If no one chops down a tree in a forest, there is no sound, subjective, objective, or anything in between.
Don't be so sure. i've had clients who were perfectly capable of writing a script that said:

SFX: TREE
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Don't be so sure. i've had clients who were perfectly capable of writing a script that said:

SFX: SPLINTERING WOOD

SFX: CRACKLING FIRE

SFX: BUBBLING PORRIDGE

SFX: SNORING

It's all about montage.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
SFX: SPLINTERING WOOD (etc)...
I guess my point was that a lot of these ad people are so darn visually-oriented (which is essential in nearly all of their work) that they have trouble switching it off on those rare occasions when they need to.

Case in point, copywriter writes a radio spot set in Medieval times. The handsome prince has returned from 7-Eleven. The princess calls down from her lofty tower, asking if he has gotten everything on her shopping list. How do we know she's up in the tower? On TV, we'd see her up there. On radio, well, she's up in a tower because it says so in the stage directions on the left margin of the script. How will she be united with the goods? On TV, you'd just cut to her with him on the ground, or him with her up in the tower. On radio, you need another plan.

Here's how it got solved:
Attached Files

711_quest.mp3 (1.38 MB, 437 views)

Old 6 days ago
Quote:
I guess my point was that a lot of these ad people are so darn visually-oriented (which is essential in nearly all of their work) that they have trouble switching it off on those rare occasions when they need to.

Case in point, copywriter writes a radio spot set in Medieval times. The handsome prince has returned from 7-Eleven. The princess calls down from her lofty tower, asking if he has gotten everything on her shopping list. How do we know she's up in the tower? On TV, we'd see her up there. On radio, well, she's up in a tower because it says so in the stage directions on the left margin of the script. How will she be united with the goods? On TV, you'd just cut to her with him on the ground, or him with her up in the tower. On radio, you need another plan.

Here's how it got solved:
That was great! Very old school, very Frebergian. With a tangy hint of Firesign.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So I'm confused. Does a nobody who publishes AES papers become a somebody? If that person is just as brilliant but unpublished, what then?
Maybe Plush could explain how a brilliant, but unpublished person fills out his profile in a way that helps Plush. Or how guys who haven't won a grammy let you know how good they are. They are good before they win the grammy obviously. Or perhaps Plush reads more into the profiles than he should.

BTW, Plush should be happy as I have now filled out my profile. He can now look at it to quickly confirm no matter what I post I am nobody.

So being a nobody what if I post a really good idea? Will Plush recognize it or will he look askance at it nonetheless? I mean you know the old saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
... you know the old saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
And there's that other old saying, that blind squirrels have better than average ears.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was great! Very old school, very Frebergian. With a tangy hint of Firesign.
Why do I hear French horns?

Anyway, no matter what, in that biz the big accomplishment is starting with a blank page and ending up with something the client will pay money for. My job is just to keep them from driving it into a ditch.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 6 days ago at 12:54 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
Maybe Plush could explain how a brilliant, but unpublished person fills out his profile in a way that helps Plush. Or how guys who haven't won a grammy let you know how good they are. They are good before they win the grammy obviously. Or perhaps Plush reads more into the profiles than he should.

BTW, Plush should be happy as I have now filled out my profile. He can now look at it to quickly confirm no matter what I post I am nobody.

So being a nobody what if I post a really good idea? Will Plush recognize it or will he look askance at it nonetheless? I mean you know the old saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
If I am curious about someone on GS, I look at their profile. It's not about awards or status within the industry. I'm trying to learn where they are, what studio they are at or what their specialty is; often the category I"m most curious about is "influences." From the influences notes I can get an idea of what genre the person works in, their likes and who they might model their sound on.

After all, most people should be pursuing recording work after listening to a LOT of recordings. My people listen to a minimum of 3000 hours of recordings.

So the person filling out their profile would probably have certain directions and influences that they could list.

So for me I think it is useful for ALL on GS to see:

career highlights
key gear used
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
What I really wish is that everyone had easily available examples of their work. That's a lot more interesting and revealing to me than industry connections. I'd take advice from a talented amateur making sounds I liked over a jaded professional who knows a lot of people and turns out one cheesy mix after another any day.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I am curious about someone on GS, I look at their profile. It's not about awards or status within the industry. I'm trying to learn where they are, what studio they are at or what their specialty is; often the category I"m most curious about is "influences." From the influences notes I can get an idea of what genre the person works in, their likes and who they might model their sound on.

After all, most people should be pursuing recording work after listening to a LOT of recordings. My people listen to a minimum of 3000 hours of recordings.

So the person filling out their profile would probably have certain directions and influences that they could list.

career highlights
key gear used
I have a pretty good idea what you are about, and have never viewed your profile. I put that together by reading what you write, and by how others react to you, and to what you write.

My profile... is a mish-mash of "what was required to join", and what I have managed to discover and fill in since, with certain restrictions.

But you asked, so here goes. My studio and I are about 2.5 hours SSE of your general location, rural area, 35 minutes from DT of a top 10 US city. This is a residence, although, there's more studio than home here. Priorities.

Started running live sound in 1974, recording, well...same general time frame. Made a life plan in 1986, started building this studio iteration in 2010, and just finished final, major routing on a 4 room, 300+ I/O, 240 ch fiber backbone, 12 PC, 30 camera, 300+ device, AV facility, ~1000 sq ft. Capitalized in the low to mid six figures.

Mostly self taught, but influences include Mike Senior, Quincy Jones, Anthony Savona, Moses Avalon...basically anyone who writes on the subject, and I read sonewhere between 750-1000 wpm these days. Vision goes, you know?

I've lost the network here to malicious penetration twice. Never again. Soooo... no name address or TX #. No recordings you ever heard of. If I had, I wouldn't post that here, but I haven't.

This being a rural area, time away interacting w musicians keeps me security concious. Comprehensively so. Onward.

Most of my time here at GS is spent learning. I never act on single source data, but a lot of ideas begin here. I give back with in depth answers to medium and less complex questions, maybe once a day.

Other interests include physics, ballistics, econ, military science, cosmology, and obviously computers and networking. Extensive construction background. 3 doctorates, a professor, an MD, numerous papers and about 40 US patents in the immediate family.

I like hard rock, Boston's a good place to start, bluegrass, jazz, some classical, prefer melody, harmony, counterpoint, and fairly high energy levels.

I will consider any additional questions. I may get around to putting some of this in my profile, but a lot of it, well, why make things easy for predators? I'd rather make music than bury aggressors.

But not today. I just re-did my to-do list infrastructure yesterday. Six clipboards, 150 action items, and that's just scratching the surface, a bare outline.

Nice to meet you sir. You can call me JT.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Right on, JT. Outstanding!

You are my kind of freak.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Later conversation:

"oh sorry! I thought you meant the talking tree from Lord of the Rings.

You just wanted a leaf rustling sound? "
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I have a pretty good idea what you are about, and have never viewed your profile.
I don't think I ever looked at anyone's profile until this thread happened. Kinda forgot they were there. Totally forgot what I put in mine. Didn't put anything about where I grew up, downstate Illinois. Meaning I'm not just a nobody, I'm a redneck flatbilly nobody.

I agree that you can pick up the gist of what someone has going on from reading a few of their posts. Content and tone both count.

I also think a mega-somebody in some threads might be out of their depth in others.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 5 days ago at 07:28 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

career highlights
key gear used
You changed your post as it once said I filled out the profile with meaningless information. And right you were.

Location I put planet earth.

Studio? I have been in one twice.

Influences????? Don't have any you could learn anything from really. Like music, have heard recordings, most of them are lousy. I do get lots of that is for reasons having nothing to do with the people recording.

As a retired person, I wanted to try recording and see what one could do. Strictly volunteer. Don't know if I would accept any pay. That way I can say yes, no or nope not doing it that way without restriction. What I have done has been interesting and educational. I mostly lurk here to learn from others.

As for my rates, twice nothing is still nothing. I am not stealing business from people like you. In fact I recorded people who didn't think they would ever be in a studio. After hearing what I did, how they sounded some of them have booked studios and made "real" recordings.

I haven't listened to recordings for 3000 hrs in pursuit of a career though I likely have listened to more than that just as music. So without a career there are no career highlights.

Key gear used, nothing to right home about. Inexpensive computer interfaced gear mostly from Focusrite. I spent most money on some microphones that aren't bottom of the barrel and yet none cross $600 in retail cost. Mine were purchased second hand.

So maybe you are happy now.

I do think I understand mostly where you were coming from, and don't think your intent was as snobbish as it came off. It did come off that way and the responses should have made that clear to you by now. I think some of that is you seem caught up in your part of the business and give too little thought to the variety of levels and reasons many people are here. Not just nobodies like me, which in terms of most parameters for this group yes I am a nobody and am okay with that. Even to others making a living you seem out of touch. You act as if you can hold the line on price of work done, to not cheapen the industry. Maybe you can, most people in most studios I believe are going find that approach untenable. If you insist everyone can just hold the line and make it so, you sound like someone old enough they are getting out of touch with the age they live in.

Sorry for the brusque tone of the post. I am a pretty easy going person and quite courteous face to face. When you post about people needing to UP themselves as if it is a required goal to be worth posting here it didn't go over well.

So you took the long way around to find out what an empty GS profile was telling you at least about me anyway.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If you had said in the beginning:

Quote:

career highlights
key gear used
Instead of:

Quote:
Posters--please fill out the "About Me" section of your GS profile.

Otherwise no one can tell if you are anybody.
this would have been a non-thread. It's the tone of the original post that turned people off.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Since there are so many people on GS ruining the recording business with low, low confidence rates, myth spreading, fake authority posts riddled with inaccuracies, I need to know if you are for real.

Real posters offer their location, their studio affiliation, they have friends on GS in their friends list, and their provenance and authority can be traced.

To me it is not funny.

If your profile is not filled out, I can't tell if you are anybody.

Don't be one of the unwashed.

For the home recordists mocking my thread----

UP YOURSELF
Too lazy to do it, plus I'd rather be one of the unwashed. There is a certain level of anonymity I like to maintain. People don't need to know who or what my associations are, nor do I need to advertise what I have in my studio. I rather see unbiased opinions not based on whom I am talking to (or to me). Nor I do not want to intimidate others with my clout.

If I get things wrong, I get things wrong, but most things are very opinionated here, and other things are not as black and white like most want it to be either. Some people forget that conventional things are only conventional when everything is the same, and in certain environments, conventions don't work like they should.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search