The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst Gig You Ever Saw
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Worst Gig You Ever Saw

I don't want to name mine as I know someone who knows them, suffice to say it was a goth/metal type band and at one point I counted the guitarist had 13 effects pedals (all on) and for the finale the singer did a mock suicide with a cardboard dagger. What's yours?
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

A Saxophone concert by a well known group. The concert lasted over three hours and at the end the only people in the house were the sound crew and lighting crew. The group said they were going to take a small break and start hour four and the two crews said NO WAY and turned off the stage lights and turned off the sound. I think they got the message as they walked off stage, got changed and left. The whole concert consisted of bleeps and blats. It sounded like a bunch of farm animals with to much gas. It was horrible.
Old 14th April 2017
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Sonny Sharrock. He was a very polarizing character, though. His fans thought his detractors didn't get it, while his detractors thought there was nothing to get.

Old 14th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sonny Sharrock. He was a very polarizing character, though. His fans thought his detractors didn't get it, while his detractors thought there was nothing to get.

I used to listen to this album quite a bit. I'm not sure if I got it or not. Probably not. I don't think I really enjoyed it, either. I really have no idea why I kept going back to it. I vaguely remember seeing Coleman at the Jazz Closet in Baltimore back in the 80s.

Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I'm not sure if I got it or not. Probably not. I don't think I really enjoyed it, either.
A Bo Diddley should never be defiled in that manner.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Wow, sonny sharrock is very influential and has a wide variety to his catalogue, from tightly composed things to more textured.
I don't think gearslutz is much of a safe space for free improv/avant jazz jamming, but some of that stuff has been the most amazing, egoless live music I've ever seen.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head
I saw OM once, which I totally love, but man, it was so boring. To this day I'm not sure if they were more bored than me or uber stoned. Also bass was so quiet, despite the wall of Ampegs... such a shame. Maybe bad sound guy day as well.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

The Cult in Leicester. Ran into Billy Duffy a few months later and asked him about it, he said it was their worst gig ever and apologised!

Special mention for The Enid performing their Four Seasons. Me and my mate were shushed by the audience all through the first half because of our uncontrollable laughter, the execution was fine but the whole concept was just terrible. We left at the interval.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
Wow, sonny sharrock is very influential and has a wide variety to his catalogue, from tightly composed things to more textured.
You're right! I forget what it was called, but he wrote a theme for an animated TV show that I think is kind a little masterpiece.

But the OP's question was "worst gig," and this particular set at the Village Vanguard was definitely, well, I guess "more textured" is one way of looking at it.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You're right! I forget what it was called, but he wrote a theme for an animated TV show that I think is kind a little masterpiece.

But the OP's question was "worst gig," and this particular set at the Village Vanguard was definitely, well, I guess "more textured" is one way of looking at it.
for a moment i thought they were playing a cover of Eight Miles High over an African Rhythm .. that first solo line .. Sweet ..

i used to play in a band back east, during the Late Unpleasantness, that was very much like this .. crazy fun for a bass player and drummer .. guitar players can wank all day over this stuff ..

worst gig .. lets see ..

keanu reaves band, enough said there ..

buddy rich on a tear - yelling over the top of the band .. you M & f'ers can't keep time !!! .. you suck !!! play you bastards, faster, faster .. haha .. all the while, a bunch of grandmothers are sitting there getting their panties in a bunch ... haha .. more fun that worst .. so keanu wins in my mind right now ...
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

My first live gig as FOH. I had a Peavey powered mixer, "500 watts a side" and a pair of SP2 or 3s. Big horn, set back, atop a 15 or 18. Vox only.

Up against a slammin drummer and four full stacks.

In a tiny room.

Nothing but mush. Way into the red to even detect vox audibly.

I was the light guy, too. One gooseneck floor lamp w white bulb. Knocked over first song and broken, so the bulb dangled at waist heigth.

Nobody SAW anything, nobody HEARD anything, man...

...we ROCKED that party!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
My first live gig as FOH. I had a Peavey powered mixer, "500 watts a side" and a pair of SP2 or 3s. Big horn, set back, atop a 15 or 18. Vox only.

Up against a slammin drummer and four full stacks.

In a tiny room.

Nothing but mush. Way into the red to even detect vox audibly.

I was the light guy, too. One gooseneck floor lamp w white bulb. Knocked over first song and broken, so the bulb dangled at waist heigth.

Nobody SAW anything, nobody HEARD anything, man...

...we ROCKED that party!
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

The first gig I ever played when I was 15 was at a small club that had a huge mirror on the back wall. I watched me and my band in that mirror as we played - that was the worst gig I ever saw.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

If we're talking personal worst gigs, I did one once as bassist for a band I'd just joined. There was a video screen playing Thriller and the promoter said to go on when it finished. I knew it was a long video and figured I had time for a piss. It turned out the toilets were three floors down and I was mid flow, when I heard them switch off Thriller and our drummer began a basic beat which I was supposed to join in on after about eight bars. So I had to stand there waiting to piss out however many beers I'd drunk, then run up three flights of stairs and across to the stage, pick up my bass, plug in and finally start the riff. The guitarist was then meant to join me after eight bars, which he did, only to realize the battery in one of his effects pedals had gone dead. So he then has to find a new one and replace it all in front of the audience while the drummer and I are still playing this same riff for at least another two or three minutes when we were able to properly start the song. I can't remember much about the rest of the gig, but that must have been one mind-numbingly tedious intro to have to witness.

Last edited by vincentvangogo; 22nd April 2017 at 05:40 AM..
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear
I was in one. The band: Sonic Empire, based out of Oakland, CA about 1993. We were playing our first gig in SF, CA with critics on hand.

It started with a 15 second keyboard riff while introducing the band, and we hit the first big note. The singer jumps off the base drum and lands on the bass players cable, ripping the guts out of the bass. 20 min later we start again after our sound guy uses his teeth to strip some wires and duct tapes the bass guitar back together.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

I once saw an unannounced, unbilled NYC punk band open for the Pretenders. They were absolutely dreadful, and the audience, already annoyed at this 'surprise' that was not on the ticket or the poster, became furious. The exchange of one-finger salutes between audience and band quickly escalated - so that, by the second song, objects were flying.

In both directions.

The only entertainment value to us in the balcony was the wagering on whether or not they were going to live long enough to finish their set. I think the promoters must have decided that a riot would be bad publicity and mercifully pulled the plug after about 15 minutes.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Spandau Ballet a couple of years ago. They were actually really good but the audience of mostly middle aged people just sat down and never got up to dance. It was a bizarrely flat atmosphere.

Best: Prince.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search