The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HCL Varis, made in thailand?! Mastering Console
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

I would vouch for Thailand. Most of our cars, movies (big movie post facilities there), ads and air conditioners are made there.

I know a few audio designers who would move there right away if they find a steady gig.
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copiapoa View Post
+1.Baan Suan on Koh Chang!!!!
Suay zing zing lei !!!

On that thread Please do excuse us for this brief Thai moment enjoyment

Old 14th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightpolymath View Post
Having been to Bangkok many times (including recently during the military rule), I would say that Bangkok is as safe as any major city in the Western hemisphere. In fact I am 45 times more likely to be shot in Detroit than in Bangkok. Let me know if you're moving the factory to Phuket and I'd gladly volunteer to do some of the heavy lifting. heh
I believe he was referring to the stability of Ukraine.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator adam View Post
I believe he was referring to the stability of Ukraine.
The "Grand geopolitical Chessboard" ...

I wish the world Sanity.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Head

I am very interested to Varis compressor mastering, I'd put it in my chain from mastering the parallel circuit or as the last compressor, given that said the Varis starts acting at levels high enough db.
I wondered, however, how much background noise develops this compressor. You'd rather little noise, around - 90 dbfs ..... Can anyone give this information?
Thank you all.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyer View Post
I am very interested to Varis compressor mastering, I'd put it in my chain from mastering the parallel circuit or as the last compressor, given that said the Varis starts acting at levels high enough db.
I wondered, however, how much background noise develops this compressor. You'd rather little noise, around - 90 dbfs ..... Can anyone give this information?
Thank you all.
Especially newer Varis' have very quiet operation. The older ones were a bit louder, mostly from hum from the power transformer.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Mollyer

Please don`t mix up analogue and digital domains.

The VARIS is pure analogue device, and noise floor measured in analogue domain, of course.
So, noise floor is near 90dB of analogue, (what`s also pretty low value yet )), for pure tube device).

Just for convenience, analogue and digital domains :
Attached Thumbnails
HCL Varis, made in thailand?!-vu-scales.gif  

Last edited by HandCrafted Lab; 15th October 2015 at 05:21 PM..
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Can someone help me here, and tell me which of the tubes in this photo are the input tubes, and point out whether left and right are layed out vertically or horizontally (From the front).

It was beyond me. Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

Inside the HCL Varis.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
Can someone help me here, and tell me which of the tubes in this photo are the input tubes, and point out whether left and right are layed out vertically or horizontally (From the front).

It was beyond me. Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

Inside the HCL Varis.
Input tubes-6И1П
Output tube-6Н5П
Attached Thumbnails
HCL Varis, made in thailand?!-tubes-6n5p.jpg  
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copiapoa View Post
Input tubes-6И1П
Output tube-6Н5П
Thanks.

The diagram is from the front? or the smaller tubes are the inputs?
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks.

Birds eye view I would say..
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks.

From the front.
Attached Thumbnails
HCL Varis, made in thailand?!-img_20180416_213806.jpg  
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

i love my varis blue face, made in thailand, built by competent ukrainians.
never was a varis better.

what hcl saves on costs by building with their own people in thailand, they seem to be stuck in better components.
that's how it works out for everyone in the end.
correctly, it must still be labeled "made IN thailand", which does not mean "made BY thai people" - which is ultimately insignificant as long as the quality and the final inspection are right and the employees have decent working conditions.
Old 17th April 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Tengu asked about tubes.
No need to resurrect a geographical topic already discussed three years ago.
Please keep the discussion technical.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

I had the pleasure to meet the man himself in Thailand, less than a month ago.
Top notch quality gears indeed, very impressive to see many units at the same time, ready to be inspected and shipped. He has a huge background in electronics and there is no surprise why the gears fell and sound that good. Build quality is first class, in the range of many high end brand that you all know. All this in a beautifull environment with the kindest people ever. So if you're thinking about pulling the trigger on a Varis or Islander, I would say as my dear Genna (the boss) would say : Tak !

Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
I had the pleasure to meet the man himself in Thailand, less than a month ago.
Top notch quality gears indeed, very impressive to see many units at the same time, ready to be inspected and shipped. He has a huge background in electronics and there is no surprise why the gears fell and sound that good. Build quality is first class, in the range of many high end brand that you all know. All this in a beautifull environment with the kindest people ever. So if you're thinking about pulling the trigger on a Varis or Islander, I would say as my dear Genna (the boss) would say : Tak !

Tak,Adrien!
Bud'mo-Sante.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Made in Thailand.
Attached Thumbnails
HCL Varis, made in thailand?!-img_20180412_124848_hdr.jpg   HCL Varis, made in thailand?!-img_20180412_140405_hdr.jpg  
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
i love my varis blue face, made in thailand, built by competent ukrainians.
never was a varis better.

what hcl saves on costs by building with their own people in thailand, they seem to be stuck in better components.
that's how it works out for everyone in the end.
correctly, it must still be labeled "made IN thailand", which does not mean "made BY thai people" - which is ultimately insignificant as long as the quality and the final inspection are right and the employees have decent working conditions.
This was not my experience, as I had months long shipping time, and upon arrival the compression character and amount was quite different LEFT/RIGHT. Tried to return it, was refused, and told it was working properly - I even sent video documentation of the odd behaviour, which was then blamed on VU meter characteristics. Ended up paying for a repair for a brand new unit, putting it for sale and losing more than half the purchase price.

Which leads to another problem, constant revisions of circuit and features - IMO it is poor service, to keep releasing the same product with revision after revision, as it will instantly lower the value of already purchased units.

Anyway, lots of people seem to have good experiences with HCL - all power to you.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilddyr View Post
This was not my experience, as I had months long shipping time, and upon arrival the compression character and amount was quite different LEFT/RIGHT. Tried to return it, was refused, and told it was working properly - I even sent video documentation of the odd behaviour, which was then blamed on VU meter characteristics. Ended up paying for a repair for a brand new unit, putting it for sale and losing more than half the purchase price.

Which leads to another problem, constant revisions of circuit and features - IMO it is poor service, to keep releasing the same product with revision after revision, as it will instantly lower the value of already purchased units.

Anyway, lots of people seem to have good experiences with HCL - all power to you.
that doesn't sound funny at all.
i had a pretty big asymmetry left/right on a hcl device years ago, but the new blueface is very good and sounds basically more balanced.

you can always have bad luck, I already have the second replacement device from a very expensive, renowned danish manufacturer here and it makes problems again after a short time - the good service itself (which you can ask for in this price range) doesn't do much anymore.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Good service is a very important aspect for me when looking for new gear. Buying gear, occuring problems, but getting no or bad service is a huge showstopper.
I often prefer to buy local because of that. But even when not, good support per mail is a must for me and in most cases I had good luck with it in the past and it mostly are the small boutique developers that really shine here.
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Good service is a very important aspect for me when looking for new gear. Buying gear, occuring problems, but getting no or bad service is a huge showstopper.
I often prefer to buy local because of that. But even when not, good support per mail is a must for me and in most cases I had good luck with it in the past and it mostly are the small boutique developers that really shine here.
Same here. I only have to read a few posters saying that their emails were ignored, or the company blames the experienced user, and immediately I think poor customer service. Many boutique companies in the past failed because of poor QC and annoyed customers. Some brands are worth percevering with...I can think of a famous EQ.
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No matter where equipment is made it is MADE by people and there can be a wide difference in how committed they are in producing the best units. It sounds like this company has found some very dedicated people to manufacture their gear. Congrats to them and to the people who built their equipment.

FWIW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search