The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hendy Amps Michelangelo
Old 28th August 2019
  #931
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Verified Member
The pre air-shift models have a very high turnover freq (12-15k iirc) and not a huge amount of gain so it's subtle but it is there.

Ask Chris about modding it for you, makes a big difference.
Old 29th August 2019
  #932
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
I have a pre Air shift unit (which I modded not so long ago) and the effect is very noticeable but also dependant of "High" setting.
Also the action is not not linear along the pot, sometimes, you've reach the "maximum" action possible and pushing the nob more won't affect the sound more. (I don't know if I'm clear)
Old 30th August 2019
  #933
Lives for gear
 
adamj31's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
so I recently picked up one of these, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the air band, I hope it is not broken, though I suspect it is not, because I hear it on white noise test osc, but when I put program material into the Hendy, I don't hear it doing nearly anything. The manual seems to imply its more than a boost/cut like the other bands, that it interacts with aggression and trim, can anyone explain this? many people rave that this is the sweetest air band on any unit, and I'm having trouble hearing it, which is sad! I know I've got some hearing loss from my youth, but didn't think it was that much!
Same here. I contacted Chris because I thought mine was broken. I ran signals through Q-clone and it’s working as intended. I just can’t hear it. Funny, because I’ve heard people rave about that air band. He suggested modding it to add the frequency shift.
Old 30th August 2019
  #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
gotcha. no air shift on mine. q clone requires a flash drive for the license, haven't used one of those in ages, gotta find one, urg.
It's all have to do about how you set the calibration and the aggression knobs. Try and see if the settings below will work for you:
Calibration=12 o'clock, Aggression=0, Low=0, Mid=0, Trim=10
Bottom switches: LoZ, Sharp, Flat, 150Hz
Upper switches: Vintage =Off, Air shift= Off
Now you should be able to hear it by increasing the Air knob or you can increase the High knob as well.
Old 31st August 2019
  #935
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
It's all have to do about how you set the calibration and the aggression knobs. Try and see if the settings below will work for you:
Calibration=12 o'clock, Aggression=0, Low=0, Mid=0, Trim=10
Bottom switches: LoZ, Sharp, Flat, 150Hz
Upper switches: Vintage =Off, Air shift= Off
Now you should be able to hear it by increasing the Air knob or you can increase the High knob as well.
Cool, thanks for the settings. Out of town, be back home soon, will try these. Hopefully have flash drive as well.

The odd thing is, I can totally hear the air band on this youtube video, which leads me to believe perhaps something is amiss:



Out of curiosity, how does this unit compare/differ from a pultec/clone?
Old 19th October 2019
  #936
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Verified Member
If anyone is in the hunt for a Michelangelo, I just listed one in the GS Classifieds.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #937
Lives for gear
 
Waltz Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
If anyone is in the hunt for a Michelangelo, I just listed one in the GS Classifieds.
Ditto
Old 22nd October 2019
  #938
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Seen a lot of these for sale recently. What's the crack? Moving to another unit, or ITB?
Old 22nd October 2019
  #939
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Seen a lot of these for sale recently. What's the crack? Moving to another unit, or ITB?
I certainly can’t speak for everyone’s reasons, but I have recently built a whole lot of new MA’s for previous owners wanting to upgrade to a new one with all the options and tweaks that don’t exist on older units. Obviously not everyone has done this, and some sellers have moved to other gear, ITD, or whatever, but over the last year, more than I expected have upgraded to a new one. FWIW
Old 22nd October 2019
  #940
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendyamps View Post
I certainly can’t speak for everyone’s reasons, but I have recently built a whole lot of new MA’s for previous owners wanting to upgrade to a new one with all the options and tweaks that don’t exist on older units. Obviously not everyone has done this, and some sellers have moved to other gear, ITD, or whatever, but over the last year, more than I expected have upgraded to a new one. FWIW
Ah I see - what has been added since the first version? I'm on the lookout for a stereo tube saturator/EQ at the moment and would have likely bought one of these from the classifieds if it was UK based. Always in the US! Expensive import fees.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #941
Lives for gear
 
Hippocratic Mastering's Avatar
I'm one of those who had a pretty early unit, since modded with some of the improvements, who wanted to get the very newest version. I haven't actually put the old one on the classifieds yet but it is for sale (in the UK) - PM me if interested.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #942
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Ah I see - what has been added since the first version? I'm on the lookout for a stereo tube saturator/EQ at the moment and would have likely bought one of these from the classifieds if it was UK based. Always in the US! Expensive import fees.
The original unit did not have:
- LoZ option (it was always in HiZ)
- Low Shift
- High Shift
- Air Shift
- Various other circuit tweaks such as optimizing the control ranges and such.
Old 10th November 2019
  #943
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
The thing about the SIPP is that the parallel and MS paths are seperate circuits. So you can only use one or the other, not together.

So I only use the MS circuit when I'm not using the MA in parallel and then only on the rare occasion I want to add a bit of width. The stereo shuffler does sound special though.
Hi

If you input a LR stereo track into the SIPP, are you from there on able to used the Mid Side before sending it out after processing. I have already sent the LR into the SIPP and am able to widen the image, but the thing that is troubling me is that when I listen to just the Side, it seems out of phase to me. I think there's some point I'm missing, but I don't know what it is. I don't want to ask Mick (again) as it's hardly fair to ask a chap to conduct a correspondence course!!!!
Old 11th November 2019
  #944
Lives for gear
 
SmoothTone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
If you input a LR stereo track into the SIPP, are you from there on able to used the Mid Side before sending it out after processing.
As I understand it, the M/S matrix is applied to the insert when the M/S button is pressed. So the signal is encoded to M/S at the insert SEND and decoded back to stereo at the insert RETURN. The main output will therefore always be stereo regardless of whether M/S is engaged or not.

Quote:
the thing that is troubling me is that when I listen to just the Side, it seems out of phase to me. I think there's some point I'm missing, but I don't know what it is.
The side signal is, by definition, out of phase. So if you're monitoring it 'in place,' then it should sound like that.

Mick has a link on the SIPP webpage to a paper on the shuffler circuit and the following article from SoS might help: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...-actually-work
Old 11th November 2019
  #945
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
As I understand it, the M/S matrix is applied to the insert when the M/S button is pressed. So the signal is encoded to M/S at the insert SEND and decoded back to stereo at the insert RETURN. The main output will therefore always be stereo regardless of whether M/S is engaged or not.



The side signal is, by definition, out of phase. So if you're monitoring it 'in place,' then it should sound like that.

Mick has a link on the SIPP webpage to a paper on the shuffler circuit and the following article from SoS might help: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...-actually-work
Thanks for this helpful info. I'm hearing what I was expecting to hear now, I just wasn't sure I had things right when I listened to the Side signal alone.
Whenever I've used MS before it has been via three channels on the mixer and a splitter cable during sessions on location but not for later adjustment, more for the advantage of a forward facing mic - then it's straight forward from a width point of view. With the SIPP I wasn't quite sure exactly what was happening in the unit, but I see now that EVERYTHING is happening in there and all I need to do is adjust as needed.
It's a very impressive effect and one that I think should be used with the utmost care. I've taken to listening to the positioning of instruments with the shuffler turned off, and then trying to make sure they are more or less in that position when the shuffler is engaged. It will become second nature to me after a while. Thanks again for the help.

I actually think it would be interesting to mix the original with the shuffled version to see what results come from that. Probably nothing worthwhile!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 13th November 2019 at 12:20 AM..
Old 21st December 2019
  #946
Does the '1/3 gain mod' for this also apply to the Aggression knob or just the EQ section? On the fence between one of these or the Thermionic Culture Kite.
Old 21st December 2019
  #947
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Does the '1/3 gain mod' for this also apply to the Aggression knob or just the EQ section? On the fence between one of these or the Thermionic Culture Kite.
No it does not apply to Aggression...though I can make it do so if you want.
Old 10th February 2020
  #948
Gear Nut
 

Anyone got any internal pics of the MA?
Would love to see the guts of this.
Old 19th February 2020
  #949
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

For anyone interested, I'm going to be in the Nashville area (Ocean Way Studios) with some gear to play with on March 12.
Feel free to stop by!

Contact me if you have questions!
Old 27th February 2020
  #950
Lives for gear
 
Trakworx's Avatar
Need new tubes. Using JJs. Will any supplier do or is there a recommended source? Sorry if this was asked before...
Old 27th February 2020
  #951
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Need new tubes. Using JJs. Will any supplier do or is there a recommended source? Sorry if this was asked before...
Chris said he gets JJs from here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/
Old 27th February 2020
  #952
Lives for gear
 
Hendyamps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Need new tubes. Using JJs. Will any supplier do or is there a recommended source? Sorry if this was asked before...
Most suppliers are usually fine but yes, I typically get mine from the link Graham listed as my orders are usually well over $100 and they give free shipping if it is over $100 total.
=)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump