The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hendy Amps Michelangelo Equalisers (HW)
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

It would be great to see a well coded plugin version that adds mid/side suppprt as well as a wet/dry blend.

I often use the MA at about 70% parallel.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Head

OT: In my humble opinion, all these emulations of xformer and tube mojo do mostly more harm than good for mastering. But for mixing it´s totally ok.

Happy owner of a Michelangelo mastering version here. Great tool, and very different than all the other EQ's I have.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
Happy owner of a Michelangelo mastering version here. Great tool, and very different than all the other EQ's I have.
Just curious: Whats the difference between the mastering and the normal version?
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Head

+- 6 db and Elma switches instead of pots. Even if the Michelangelo doesn´t have many knobs, the switches for mastering are very comfortable. Small changes can have a relatively big effect at the Michelangelo..
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Head

Just racked up #185 ! Will test soon and hopefully post some samples on acoustic piano (I'm a pianist and got it for sweetening my solo tracks). The blue gloss looks incredible; I'm very impressed with the build quality. Thanks Chris for your responsiveness and hard work!

[/IMG]
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderwalker86 View Post
Just racked up #185 ! Will test soon and hopefully post some samples on acoustic piano (I'm a pianist and got it for sweetening my solo tracks). The blue gloss looks incredible; I'm very impressed with the build quality. Thanks Chris for your responsiveness and hard work!
Looks great!!
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've been wondering how many of these were out in the wild. Mine is #18 .

Congratulations Chris!
Old 13th June 2018
I need to replace the tubes in my Michelangelo. For those who have done this, what specific variety of 12ax7 did you use? Anyone have a good, reliable supplier based in the UK/EU?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I need to replace the tubes in my Michelangelo. For those who have done this, what specific variety of 12ax7 did you use? Anyone have a good, reliable supplier based in the UK/EU?

Thanks in advance.
Stock tubes are all still JJ - widely available and not expensive. You can inquire with APKE Tontechnik Germany for some vintage NOS ECC83 alternatives, which are much more pricey and change the sound significantly. Whether or not it's for the better is of course a matter of taste and depends on your chain. I love them but do sometimes think the JJs work better for mixes that need more help.
Old 13th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Stock tubes are all still JJ - widely available and not expensive. You can inquire with APKE Tontechnik Germany for some vintage NOS ECC83 alternatives, which are much more pricey and change the sound significantly. Whether or not it's for the better is of course a matter of taste and depends on your chain. I love them but do sometimes think the JJs work better for mixes that need more help.
Thanks! Mine is an old unit without the low-z mode so I guess I'll stick with the JJs.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
€490 for 3 12AX7s does seem quite expensive. I've only ever used stock JJs. Cheap and sound good. Whats not to like. Would be interested to hear the difference between the JJs and some NOS Mullards.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
€490 for 3 12AX7s does seem quite expensive. I've only ever used stock JJs. Cheap and sound good. Whats not to like. Would be interested to hear the difference between the JJs and some NOS Mullards.
I tried NOS Mullards in this circuit and they sounded like dog crap. Also tried some Telefunken Diamond plates (my ex neighbor was a tube collector). None of them good. I actually "might" have tried some Valvos that sounded ok, but still not as good. The problem is headroom, all of these tubes seemed to compress too fast and thus roll off either top or bottom.

I think the best suitable replacement I found was the Gold Pin JJs. They are a bit smoother and more linear, but I missed the bite of the original sound and just went back to the original cheap JJs. Can't be beat yet.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

My experience was the opposite honestly. The tubes I have now seem to have extra headroom and both lows and highs pass transients through more clearly. A bit less grease and thickness but more open and quite linear (in lo-z).
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
My experience was the opposite honestly. The tubes I have now seem to have extra headroom and both lows and highs pass transients through more clearly. A bit less grease and thickness but more open and quite linear (in lo-z).
What tubes are you using?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
My experience too. But they might steal some of the MAs "character" as well (as it seems to be tuned just around the JJs). So if you like this sweet, juicy, thick, forgiving but bit loose sound and if you are enjoying all the different modes and option of the MA constantly (or if you have an early version) you might be happier with the original JJs.
But if you always felt the MA that bit too colored (even in lowZ and with zero aggression) for mastering use, then this set of special NOS tubes might worse a try imho.
Yes, they might feel expensive, but in my experiences hq tubes definitly worse it. Not only regarding sound (which is always a materr of taste), but because of durability. The tubes in my Rockruepel CompOne (which are selected from the Apke guys too) are now 7 years old and the unit still is calibrated absolutley precise. I expect the same from my MA as well.
Old 14th September 2018
Here for the gear

Just ordered a MA finally! #200

Hope it lives up to all this hype. This thread was Definably an influence on my purchase. Usually I like to demo stuff. It’s gonna replace an OZ pultec style EQ from HCL in the chain.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
The tubes in my Rockruepel CompOne (which are selected from the Apke guys too) are now 7 years old and the unit still is calibrated absolutley precise. I expect the same from my MA as well.
Even if they still work fine, 7 years old is quite a lot for tubes tbh. If you retube it I'm pretty sure you will hear quite a large difference, especially in terms of "liveness" of the sound.
Old 14th September 2018
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Even if they still work fine, 7 years old is quite a lot for tubes tbh. If you retube it I'm pretty sure you will hear quite a large difference, especially in terms of "liveness" of the sound.
Yea Chris said that he runs the tubes very hot which tends to shorten their lifespan.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

How often are people changing their tubes? I believe mine are about 21 months old and wondering if I should swap them out.
Any good distress in the US for replacement tubes?
thx
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Whatever that means, my chain sounds better now than ever before. I see no reason to panic and if I believe some german tube experts no panic needed. Maybe more a topic with cheap modern tubes? Any audio comparissons between "livless" worn out tubes vs new ones around?
From what I know (and Im far away being a tube expert) its also about the "funkelrauschen" which easily should be measurable.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

I was talking about JP Rockruepel tubes wich shouldn't sound their "best" after 7 years of use. Darker sound, less definition in the midrange aswell is often sign of a "tired" tube. At the price tubes are on the market now, in my opinion its worth checking out, to get the best sound out of your unit.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I was talking about JP Rockruepel tubes wich shouldn't sound their "best" after 7 years of use. Darker sound, less definition in the midrange aswell is often sign of a "tired" tube. At the price tubes are on the market now, in my opinion its worth checking out, to get the best sound out of your unit.
Sounds changes slowly, ofcourse. So the risk to getting used to those kind of changes in sound is high.
Getting the RR a bit "darker with less midrange definition" might be not the baddest thing, considering what a lot of people are looking for in a tube unit...
May someone should sell used worn out tubes for tuning reasons then...
Im carefull with chnging tubes, diffs are threre, even with the same manufacteur. Imho they shouldbe also well selected, not an easy task to do at home. Dont doing itmay will change things to the worst then. Not an easy topic thought.
Playing around with tubes (or ICs) needs care and high attention, not the best idea in busy times. So Im highly sceptical changing components without anyvreal need is a good idea then. I have donethat a lot in the past, but only whenI wasnt happy soundwise.
Saying this, changing the tubes in my MA was a great move. It will get less use with the stock tubes over here thought.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds changes slowly, ofcourse. So the risk to getting used to those kind of changes in sound is high.
Yes exactly When I retubed my Vari mu after 5 years of use, I couldn't believe how "undefined" the sound became without really noticing it along the years...and Also I retubed it with some Sylvania's that had SUCH an amazing low end.

Quote:
Getting the RR a bit "darker with less midrange definition" might be not the baddest thing, considering what a lot of people are looking for in a tube unit...
May someone should sell used worn out tubes for tuning reasons then...
Im carefull with chnging tubes, diffs are threre, even with the same manufacteur. Imho they shouldbe also well selected, not an easy task to do at home. Dont doing itmay will change things to the worst then. Not an easy topic thought.
Playing around with tubes (or ICs) needs care and high attention, not the best idea in busy times. So Im highly sceptical changing components without anyvreal need is a good idea then. I have donethat a lot in the past, but only whenI wasnt happy soundwise.
Saying this, changing the tubes in my MA was a great move. It will get less use with the stock tubes over here thought.
Well changing tubes in general is also a good practice as they can simply "fail" over time. Some shorts can appear to the filaments or other nasty things, wich simply ask for a tube replacement.
Now although tube swapping is something fun because tubes do have a different sound between brand etc, IC's swapping is another story. You can ruin your unit by doing so, or introduce very nasty problems that you won't "hear" but that can cause trouble into the circuit. (high frequencies oscillation and stuff like that). I saw some circuit litteraly go on fire because of this...
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

I just replaced the tubes in my Michelangelo after about 18 months of use. I bought regular JJs off of amazon. Don't at me. I recorded a flat pass with the EQ engaged before and after and there is an increased transient power in the 80-140Hz punchiness range and more clarity and detail in the 2-8K ranges. Ill be changing my tubes every 12 months from now on.
Old 18th September 2018
I tested my tube this week end (three in the unit and three spare) in order to make a better trio.
With well balanced tube, it felt way better, like an increase definition of the low end and an overall more pleasing boxtone.
@Switchcraft : Did you buy balanced/matched tube ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I just noticed that Watford Valves here in the UK have started doing cryogenically treated balanced JJs.

ECC83/ECC83S-JJ TESLA CRYO BALANCED

"The Cryo treatment gives better clarity, improved sonics and more detail than a non-treated valve".

"The biggest benefits I have found have been a dramatic improvement in dynamic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics. The soundstage is bigger with more detail with a big reduction in the noise floor. "

Sounds good in theory. Over double the price but still cheaper and more available than NOS tubes. Would be interesting to compare. Might give it a go.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I just noticed that Watford Valves here in the UK have started doing cryogenically treated balanced JJs.

"The Cryo treatment gives better clarity, improved sonics and more detail than a non-treated valve".

"The biggest benefits I have found have been a dramatic improvement in dynamic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics. The soundstage is bigger with more detail with a big reduction in the noise floor. "

Sounds good in theory. Over double the price but still cheaper and more available than NOS tubes. Would be interesting to compare. Might give it a go.
following
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

ordered!

i also will try them in the tubetech hlt2am
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Those quotes were from the Watford website and not my own findings by the way! Just thought I would clarify that before anyone made an order! Looking forward to giving them a go.

Has anyone tried the ECC803S-JJ long plate version? Apparently thicker mids and slightly more top end according to most descriptions.

According to Watford:

"JJ have used long 17mm plate design used in the 1950s by Mullard with a longer fin to improve heat dissipation. The valve features gold plated grid, top getter and a spiral filament to reduce hum and noise.

The ECC803S is an excellent sounding audio valve. It produces a rich warm sound which is both thick and fat. The valve is very musical and well balanced; it is easy to listen to with no harshness and it has plenty of detail in the upper mids with a fast smooth bass response. It has the classic Warm audio sound."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search