The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov Mastering Compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov Mastering Compressor

Tokyo Dawn Labs new compressor is out now!

Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records

The paid for "GE Version" really is a no brainer for 40 euros and I imagine most here will want access to the extra features. The frequency dependent ratio is very cool, as is the fully variable slope on the SC filter.

Anyway, both free and paid for versions are available now so well worth checking out.

More info from the Labs:

TDR Kotelnikov is a wideband dynamics processor combining high fidelity dynamic range control with deep musical flexibility. As a descendant of the venerable TDR Feedback Compressor product family, Kotelnikov has directly inherited several unique features such as a proven control scheme, individual release control for peak and RMS content, an intuitive user interface, and powerful, state of the art, high-precision algorithms.

With a sonic signature best described as “stealthy”, Kotelnikov has the ability to manipulate the dynamic range by dramatic amounts, while carefully preserving the original tone, timbre and punch of a musical signal. As such, it is perfectly suited to stereo bus compression as well as other critical applications.

The concept is “proudly digital” in the sense that it doesn’t try to emulate any previously existing device. This is the original!

Key specs and features

64bit floating point precision for all relevant calculations
Multi-rate processing structure for highest accuracy
“Delta” oversampled signal path (bit transparent at 0dB gain reduction)
Super fast, yet natural sounding compression
“Crest factor” based control scheme offering independent release controls for peak and RMS events
Flexible sidechain highpass filter
Advanced stereo linking options optimized for the stereo bus
Delta preview mode to preview the difference between compressed and original signal
Latency compensated parallel bypass (i.e. processing not interrupted)

Cheers

Conundra

Last edited by Conundra; 2nd December 2014 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: link added / typos
Old 2nd December 2014
Here for the gear

Cool news. Will check it out!
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I was already a big user of Feedback Compressor II but Kotelnikov GE is even better. FDR is awesome, from the day the beta testing period started it was the most cool feature of this plugin. With it you can apply less compression to certain areas (for instance), and it's been helpful on tracks that I want to keep the low end as natural as possible while applying some compression on it. It's a totally different sound from what you get by high passing the sidechain!

Equal loudness bypass is also an awesome feature, all plugins should have one of those in it.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Fantastic plug, was also on the beta testing team. Still need to get my head around the FDR!
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

great plugin, thank you!

still have to check all the possibilities ... great freatureset!
Old 2nd December 2014
Lick my plot!

Pure RMS/Hilbert stage, fastest setting, insane mode

Pure Peak stage, fastest setting, insane mode

Thank you for the flowers everybody! Really happy reading the positive feedback from such critical listeners!
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

i was also beta-tester & contributed the idea with the equal loudness bypass. its one of my favorite ITB-compressors for the masterbus. very nice control behaviour, rich feature set and a nice & clear gui. for 40€ its a no-brainer. great work fabien & vlad!
Old 2nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
i was also beta-tester & contributed the idea with the equal loudness bypass.
t.b.h we were on the edge of cancelling the whole feature until you came up with the genius idea to "auto gain" the bypass signal instead of the active path. This allowed us to hide all automatic adjustments and freeze them as soon bypass becomes active. In that sense, we have to thank!
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
wow, looking forward to test it.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

I read somewhere that this release is the "fix" for the Logic X instability bug with the TDR Feedback Compressor II. So I take it there will be no more updates for the FBCII plug-in? I'm not sure I have confidence in this style of "maintenance" scheme...

Unless "Koteinikov" serves as a drop-in replacement for FBCII?

Although TDR plugs are generously priced, I have to honestly say I hesitate at integrating these into my workflow due to potential support issues. (i.e.: being able to re-visit sessions using these plugs a year or two down the road)

Any info regarding TDR updates/plug-in maintenance would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2014
6strings, we refactored our whole build chain with the development SlickEQ, the most visible changes being the toolbar (undo/redo, preset management, A/B etc) and AAX support.

The main reason why we (both Vlad and myself) slowly discontinue our old products is to make sure that all our offers follow the same standards and remain easily extensible and "updatable". I totally understand your point and would never sell a product that I couldn't maintain, support and update over a longer period. The hard cut between slickEQ and all previous product releases is meant to assure the reliability you are looking for. BTW, we're already working on similar updates regarding Vlad's limiter 6 and NOVA.

Old stuff will still remain free and hosted, though. We won't break old sessions.

Sadly, setting up clean and effective "factory" is a lot of really boring work, and nothing a DSP developer prioritizes from the beginning.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Is that accurate that it only generates odd harmonics?
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntley Miller View Post
Is that accurate that it only generates odd harmonics?
In Yin/Yang modes the compressor starts to generate even harmonics. Check plots at the end of page 13 of the manual: http://www.tokyodawn.net/labs/KotelnikovGE/Manual.pdf
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
6strings, we refactored our whole build chain with the development SlickEQ, the most visible changes being the toolbar (undo/redo, preset management, A/B etc) and AAX support.

The main reason why we (both Vlad and myself) slowly discontinue our old products is to make sure that all our offers follow the same standards and remain easily extensible and "updatable". I totally understand your point and would never sell a product that I couldn't maintain, support and update over a longer period. The hard cut between slickEQ and all previous product releases is meant to assure the reliability you are looking for. BTW, we're already working on similar updates regarding Vlad's limiter 6 and NOVA.

Old stuff will still remain free and hosted, though. We won't break old sessions.

Sadly, setting up clean and effective "factory" is a lot of really boring work, and nothing a DSP developer prioritizes from the beginning.
This is actually great news Fabien. Top bar with controls, your UI framework used in SlickEQ and later plugins is very well thought and functional. Same with small details like velocity based knob control, "just right" mouse wheel sensitivity, clickless bypass independent on DAW etc. All are pretty important things, which involves workflow IMO.
So if you plan to re-release your and Vlad's previous plugins with all mentioned improvement incl. AAX support, it would be very good, I think. Plus I really like concept of enhanced GE flavors.

So far I tried new Kotelnikov against Feedback II comp in several different situations and besides several mentioned visible improvements, I subjectively found, it also sounds better. Maybe it is just my impression (victim of "new has to be better" syndrome or its slightly different peak crest control range or rather some internal adjustment, but it seems to me, it works better with leading jumpy events (like bump at first syllable of words in vocals or voiceovers).. Its reduction with moderate compression seems to me just more natural.

Well done and good luck with next work,

Michal
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Addict

Hello Fabien, what happened to extending the SC option all the way to the upper frequencies so that the compressor can be used at a high frequency limiter/compressor? I remember making that suggestion in the KVR forums for the GE comp development a while back. Think adding this feature would be really helpful since the comp is so transparent.
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear
^^^^^ that's a good idea!
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
Hello Fabien, what happened to extending the SC option all the way to the upper frequencies so that the compressor can be used at a high frequency limiter/compressor? I remember making that suggestion in the KVR forums for the GE comp development a while back. Think adding this feature would be really helpful since the comp is so transparent.
Maybe something like in picture attached? Peak mode, fast timing, FDR 7:1 for frequencies above 10k and 1:1 for lower frequencies.

Sorry, I'm away from my listening environment. Fabien, doesn't this configuration work as HF limiter?
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov Mastering Compressor-1.png  
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

So this FDR mode, it still compresses entire signal, just with enhanced or diminished sensitivity per frequency band?
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Maybe something like in picture attached? Peak mode, fast timing, FDR 7:1 for frequencies above 10k and 1:1 for lower frequencies.

Sorry, I'm away from my listening environment. Fabien, doesn't this configuration work as HF limiter?
Yes. In fact, there's also a "Vocal Bus - Sibilance Control" preset in the GE version. Not a surgical de-esser, but does what it says.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah this works pretty well as a high frequency limiter.

You should set FDR to 100% and try Shelf A or B set to 10Khz. Setting the SC filter to max (500Hz) can only help too.

I managed to get over 10dB of GR on a full mix's high frequencies with the compression recovering fully to zero GR between events.

I'm sure there is a lot of scope to using Kotelnikov as a kind of dynamic EQ. The FDR is easier to get your head around if you go for some pretty over the top compression before you start investigating it's effects.

Cheers

Conundra
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
So this FDR mode, it still compresses entire signal, just with enhanced or diminished sensitivity per frequency band?
No, it's the other way around.

The SC filter restricts sensitivity (this is what you are describing).

FDR restricts reaction (e.g. if detection and ratio ask for X dB of reduction, this value will be reduced by the FDR function for the given frequency/shape).
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Okay, I will have to take your word for it (since there's no demo).
I have all your plugins, only one that doesn't find a lot of use is Proximity, everything else is a must have!
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Maniac

I've been testing the regular edition for 2 hours and I'm very impressed. This thing behaves extremely well and brings great results on complex material. It sounds both clean and 'alive'. I like it a lot. And I like the 'proudly digital' philosophy too.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
Okay, I will have to take your word for it (since there's no demo).
I have all your plugins, only one that doesn't find a lot of use is Proximity, everything else is a must have!
Yeah, a quick demo demonstrating FDR would be great! For me it's better to describe FDR as some kind of dynamic EQ, which gives different compression ratio (and different gain reduction) for different frequencies.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post

Thanks for the response. Good to know your policy on this.

Going OT, What does "Kotelnikov" mean? How do you pronounce it?? (Really needs a nickname, IMO... K-Comp?) Nice GUI, BTW!
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Yeah, a quick demo demonstrating FDR would be great! For me it's better to describe FDR as some kind of dynamic EQ, which gives different compression ratio (and different gain reduction) for different frequencies.
i see it as a similar effect if you boost or attenuate frequencies in the sidechain. the technical difference is, that the kotelnikov doesn't implement it with (frequency dependent) threshold, but with ratio.
Old 3rd December 2014
@6strings: It's a tribute to a real person, check appendix B here: http://www.tokyodawn.net/labs/Kotelnikov/Manual.pdf
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
i see it as a similar effect if you boost or attenuate frequencies in the sidechain. the technical difference is, that the kotelnikov doesn't implement it with (frequency dependent) threshold, but with ratio.
Another explanation of FDR is boosting or attenuating frequencies in delta path (you may hear delta path by "Delta" button)
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
no RTAS version?
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Going OT, What does "Kotelnikov" mean? How do you pronounce it?? (Really needs a nickname, IMO... K-Comp?) Nice GUI, BTW!
This is the right way how to pronounce his name:

https://vimeo.com/113505588

:-)

If you prefer FBC for "Feedback Compressor" you may call it TDR KMC ("Kotelnikov Mastering Compressor") :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search