The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dbfs or dbfs+3???
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Head

dbfs or dbfs+3???

Hi everybody.
I was searching whole forum for explanation, but couldn't find anything.
The question: if I want to get RMS -12 dbfs what should I consider as a correct algorithm in Voxengo SPAN, for example? It show me -12 with dbfs and -9 with dbfs+3 settings. Cubase show -12 but Wavelab show -9. TT Dynamic Range Meter also claim it is -9. As I remember Adobe audition also measure the loudness in two different ways (sin and square wave). Also in RME digicheck there is an option to choose +3. When someone is talking about -12 dbfs RMS what does he mean? SPAN has a preset Stereo Mastering and by default dbfs setting is coming which show me RMS -12, but K-12 algorithm show +3. As I understand to get 0 with K-12 I have to lower loudness for 3 db. Then it will mean that my RMS will be -12 dbfs. But in mastering preset it will be -15. I am very confused.
Shortly: which RMS everybody talking about?

Thanks in advance
Leo
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There's no way of knowing that. These 2 standards are equally widespread.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Addict
Leq(m)- LUFS - SLk - RMS - MLk - SLk - LU EBU+9+18+27 - LKFS ATSC/ITUR
CREST - DBabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

can we go back to VU please
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Head

Thanks AUDIOBOMBER, spasibo Alexey.
Still not clear. Any other explanations?
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioleorec View Post
Still not clear. Any other explanations?
I don't pay much attention to either for level in mastering,
but there's a 3dB offset between the AES17 edition and the standard/traditional (whatever you want to call it) edition.

Confusing
6 of one, half dozen of the other...

The AES17-1998 standard is calibrated using a sine wave peaking at 0dBFS (Square would be +3dBfs). The non or possibly more traditional meters are calibrated using a square wave peaking at 0dBFS (sine would be -3dBfs).

As long as you'd want to use either as a measure, just pick one ...and know there's a 3dB difference between the two.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
I don't pay much attention to either for level in mastering,
but there's a 3dB offset between the AES17 edition and the standard/traditional (whatever you want to call it) edition.

Confusing
6 of one, half dozen of the other...

The AES17-1998 standard is calibrated using a sine wave peaking at 0dBFS (Square would be +3dBfs). The non or possibly more traditional meters are calibrated using a square wave peaking at 0dBFS (sine would be -3dBfs).

As long as you'd want to use either as a measure, just pick one ...and know there's a 3dB difference between the two.
Thank you, Tom. This is what I usually do. But since there is a client asking for exact RMS I wanna know what to concider. If he/she ask -10, it can vary from -13 to -7.
Since there are two standards, it will be confusing situation all the time. Not for me, but for my understanding of client's request. I think better to ask them for crest factor they want , this one is always the same.

Thanks for input guys.
Leo
Old 26th November 2014
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This article just labels one standard as correct and the other one as incorrect... which is incorrect, imho.
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

easy...just ask the client. if you need to meet spec, they will give you the spec.
if they are just pulling numbers out their ass because they're ignorant, **** em...
Old 26th November 2014
Gear Addict

Ask the client why he needs that requirement, is it because he needs do be compliant with something (???) or just because he thinks "-12 is a good loudness point"? If it's the case I would explain him that simply matching an RMS (regardless of what standard you're referring to) doesn't mean reaching the desired loudness...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search