The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Song Titles and Album Titles in Mastering?
Old 29th November 2006
Here for the gear

Song Titles and Album Titles in Mastering?

Hi,

I am kind of a newbie but had a question. Let's say I have the brand new U2 record. When I put it in my computer and it starts playing the album in Windows Media Player and all the song titles are already listed and the album title, and sometimes the album cover pops up. Is this something that is done during mastering? If not, when and how is this done? What is this called? THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

It's a technique employed by mastering engineers where they use a special piece of equipment called a 'CD text Transmogrifier' that loads album art, song information, pictures of their colleagues' wives (and sometimes their colleagues themselves) in lingerie, and George W. Bush quotes onto the subcode of the CD.

But seriously, it's just CD text and album art - iTunes and WMP use it as do other media players.

But if you've got the new U2 RECORD and it does that...wow that must be magic!

OK time for more coffee....
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Head

I don't know about WMP but I'm fairly sure iTunes doesn't actually look at the at CD text at all. Instead, when you put a disc in it looks up that disc on an online data base and gets the information from there.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Luke is right, as far as I know -- CD-TEXT works in modern car stereos and the few standalone players that support CD-TEXT. WMP and iTunes rely on online databases (CDDB, Gracenote, freeDB, etc.) that retrieve info based on the CD's "unique disc ID." Of course, this unique ID isn't truly unique, and that's why sometimes the players retrieve the wrong data for a disc. The ID is based on the length of the disc and other random factors that can actually be identical on more than one disc.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sound View Post
I don't know about WMP but I'm fairly sure iTunes doesn't actually look at the at CD text at all. Instead, when you put a disc in it looks up that disc on an online data base and gets the information from there.
Yes - iTunes and WMP use the Gracenote database. Other software uses the alternative Freedb database. A few programs will also use CDText but online databases seem more usual for some reason.

cheers

James.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
A few programs will also use CDText but online databases seem more usual for some reason.
I think this is the default for most apps because until recently many computer CD-ROMs didn't support CD-TEXT. Many CD-ROMs (most?) do now, but the online database model has really taken hold in the past few years. Unfortunate, as it is definitely flawed despite obvious advantages.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Gracenote CDDB works like this:

It recognizes CD's by the times of the tracks.

It compares that to a database of lists of track times.

If there are two CD's with identiacal track times, it prompts you to choose which one you have.

Gracenote used to poll users for the info; if you were the first user to play a certain disk, it'd ask you for the info from the liner notes, but I don't know if it does this anymore.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renadatender View Post
Hi,

I am kind of a newbie but had a question. Let's say I have the brand new U2 record. When I put it in my computer and it starts playing the album in Windows Media Player and all the song titles are already listed and the album title, and sometimes the album cover pops up. Is this something that is done during mastering? If not, when and how is this done? What is this called? THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Everything (almost) you need to know:
http://airshowmastering.com/upcimg/lastword.pdf
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Nut

CD Text is NOT supported (and displayed) by Windows Media Player.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
CD Text is NOT supported (and displayed) by Windows Media Player.
It is supported in Real Player on PC.

And as per some of the other posts, in order for names to appear under almost all circumstances, you have to enable CD TEXT in your CD writing program and also enter the tracks in the Grace Database or iTunes, which accesses the Grace Database.

Because new care stereos and DVD players that play CDs are displaying the text, I put them in all my masters now.
Old 29th November 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks so much, this was all awesome info, you all rock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search