The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
P4S ME
Old 16th August 2014
P4S ME

Something new from FCS

Based on the P4DMS but made into a ganged stereo mastering unit utilizing a new main board layout.

> RMS or manual peak (attack/release) modes
> Feedforward and feedback modes
> Cinemag input and output transformers
> 8 top quality VCA, 4 per channel
> SL2520 op amps
> All rotary controls on Elma switches
> Front panel HPF
> Rear panel buffered side chain inserts
> Elma Classic collet knobs
> Powder coated 4mm front panel

Introductory price $4,750.00 USD + shipping

Thanks for looking!
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
P4S ME-p4sme_turquoise_front_sm.jpg   P4S ME-p4sme_turquoise_left_sm.jpg   P4S ME-p4sme_turquoise_right_sm.jpg  
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

I cannot wait to hear this.........

Great look BTW..

Want!
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sick! Looks great Roger.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

That one is mine.........
Old 17th August 2014
Gear Nut

Love the look, can't wait to hear how one sounds! Nice job, Roger!
Old 17th August 2014
Gear Addict

very nice indeed. not output transformer bypass? different colour front panel possible? price?
Old 17th August 2014
Thanks guys!

Simon,
The P4 topology does not have any monolithic parts in the audio path,

Input transformer > 2002X VCA pack > 2520 DOA I to V amp > output transformer.

The input transformer/DOA/output transformer are part of the circuit, so no bypass.

Panel colors at my disposal:

Turquoise Blue (shown)
Jet Black
Sulfur Yellow
Signal Yellow
Aluminum Grey
Traffic White
Grey White
Light Grey
Clay Brown
Signal Green
Signal Blue
Signal Red

We have 21mm Elma knobs in the following styles and colors:
Matte gray (shown)
Gloss gray
Matte black
Gloss black
Soft touch black (rubberized) which is the same as the Knif Soma uses IIRC

We have both wing knobs and standard round knobs.
We also have a stash of gloss red 21mm round knobs. Wing knobs are not available in gloss red.

This unit was just completed yesterday, I will be doing a cost workup asap.

Best
Roger
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Looks great Roger! How does it differ, sonically, from the P3S?
Old 17th August 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Looks great Roger! How does it differ, sonically, from the P3S?
Hi HM,

The P4S has more of a "sound" if you will, slightly more vintage

An important difference is that the P4 detector is superior to the P3S which has a beneficial effect on the soundstage and imaging.

I recently purchased 1,400 of these discontinued detectors so we could continue to manufacture the P4S Precision Bus, P4S ME and P4DMS compressors.

Best,
Roger
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Very well done Roger..look forward to try it,but i think it'll be hard as im based in Rome.
Old 18th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Any way of incorporating the P4 detector with the P3S? Better sound-stage and imaging plus the more transparent P3S sounds like a winning combination.
Old 18th August 2014
Beautiful aesthetic!
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

A/B

I am going to A/B it with my P3S ME in a couple weeks.....
I love my current comp but I am not afraid of a little Iron if it
makes lovely music. (the transformer class A is on most gigs anyway)
I will report back!
Old 18th August 2014
Gear Addict

Is this in line with classic VCA/SSL compression? I'm very close to going for a VSC-2, but this might be something to look into...
Old 18th August 2014
Awesome. Time to give Roger more of my money
Old 18th August 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
Any way of incorporating the P4 detector with the P3S? Better sound-stage and imaging plus the more transparent P3S sounds like a winning combination.
Actually, it would be more labor than the cost of new equipment to do this.
That said, the P3S detection performs very well, I spent years working on the detection on the P3S.

The P4S/P4S ME is not poised to replace the P3S, it is a different beast with some similarities and a signature sound of it's own.

Also be aware that the "sound" of the P4S ME is not colored in the sense of being non-transparent.

Best
Roger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilddyr View Post
Is this in line with classic VCA/SSL compression? I'm very close to going for a VSC-2, but this might be something to look into...
The P4S is not a SSL clone.

The SSL comp uses a much different type of peak detector.
The P4S ME provides a fully adjustable peak detector + RMS detection using true power stereo linking.

Best
Roger
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Looks great.

P4S: stereo
P4DMS: dual mono stereo

Anyone wanting more should go read the P4DMS thread. I posted a bunch of clips and observations, I also own the P3S type and that gets addressed a bit. This new P4S will have some sonic differences, different transformer type, among other things. The P4DMS is hands down the best all-around compressor I've ever used. When I have taken mixes to mastering with identical bus compression through both the P3 and P4, the P4 has always sounded both clearer and richer. Right or wrong, I have attributed the extra clearness to the advanced approach in the VCA with the P4.

It is not at all like the SSL family in result. I address that in a thread about the Serpent SB4001, which I also own.
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Doug!

Looking forward to testing this unit!

M
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

I am certain you will dig it!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Hi HM,

The P4S has more of a "sound" if you will, slightly more vintage

An important difference is that the P4 detector is superior to the P3S which has a beneficial effect on the soundstage and imaging.

I recently purchased 1,400 of these discontinued detectors so we could continue to manufacture the P4S Precision Bus, P4S ME and P4DMS compressors.

Best,
Roger
That's interesting as I found the P3S had a smaller soundstage (or width) than other high end compressors when I tested it, if this has been improved then it looks like a winner.
Old 19th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

That wasn't what i was implying, for it to be a clone. I have the p3s ME allready, and I don't wanna buy more of the same. And the quad VCA topology is just a classic, so thought it would draw some inspiration from that and I do miss the ability to be more grabby at times with the P3S.

Sure it will sound awesome either way. Would you say that this unit has superior stereo operation to the P4DMS, or should they behave more or less the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
The P4S is not a SSL clone.

The SSL comp uses a much different type of peak detector.
The P4S ME provides a fully adjustable peak detector + RMS detection using true power stereo linking.

Best
Roger
Old 19th August 2014
Hi Vilddyr,

I hear that question a lot about SSL clones, and there are some excellent ones out already.

The 4 VCA (used to be 8 to get this performance) design was first demonstrated by dbx. Now the VCAs are so much better we use 4 for over the top performance. This one is based on THAT 2002 examples.

The audio performance will be the same as a P4DMS in stereo mode, probably incrementally better because of less long routing traces, being a "designed for stereo" unit that does not need to switch between the 2 modes, mono and stereo.

As far as grab goes, we designed the mastering editions for the type of gentle transparent compression they are known for.

In the bus compressor design, where we can have deeper ratios and lower thresholds you can achieve a lot more grab and compression "sound" if you will.

We are doing a P4S Stereo Bus Compressor too which will have ratios out to 12:1, minimum thresholds down to -30 dB and 23 dB of makeup gain.
The bus compressors have a slightly harder knee as well.

Best
Roger
Old 19th August 2014
Gear Addict

Great Info Roger! Lov hearing about this stuff from the designers. My absolute favorite on the SSL (and clones) is ratio 4, hence my lust for a little more grab, since ratio 4 also has the hardest knee.

It might look like I should try out one of your bus versions to compliment the ME i have
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

I wasn't thinking about getting another compressor! Maybe a Pendulum PL 2 to put in font of my AD. NOW THIS! Damn! Looks beast.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
That's interesting as I found the P3S had a smaller soundstage (or width) than other high end compressors when I tested it, if this has been improved then it looks like a winner.
compared to vari-mus or optos, for sure. compared to a SSL, maybe not. but a SSL (of maybe a vertigo vsc-2) is also a bit faster, so i would say, that there is also some kind of relation between soundstage (depth/width) and "snappy-ness".
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

I would generally disagree comparing all the opto's and vari-mu's I've owned and used as a mix guy. The FCS stereo image changes the least of anything I've ever used. The SSL type I have (SB4001) is quite small and trashy when you wind it up with significant GR, which of course is not mastering territory either. Sometimes it's what you want on a track or bus.

At any rate, the P3 and P4 are different beasts, so unless you've heard a P4 variant, you're guessing.
Old 19th August 2014
One thing you have to look out for, especially in some (not all by any means) SSL clones is the detector that is deaf to stereo, it only compresses mono and gives an artificial width enhancement simply because side info is not compressed.

It is our opinion that our true power linkage is as close to unadulterated stereo image as you can get.

Best
rf
Old 19th August 2014
Gear Head

Has a P3SME CLASS A owner i'm totally interested by this beast. What's the price tag???
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I would generally disagree comparing all the opto's and vari-mu's I've owned and used as a mix guy. The FCS stereo image changes the least of anything I've ever used. The SSL type I have (SB4001) is quite small and trashy when you wind it up with significant GR, which of course is not mastering territory either. Sometimes it's what you want on a track or bus.

At any rate, the P3 and P4 are different beasts, so unless you've heard a P4 variant, you're guessing.
ben was refering to the p3s, so was i (i haven't heard the p4). i guess with soundstage he didn't meant (only) stereo-image/width from a technical point of view, but more depth of the compression itself. e.g. a manley varimu produces a bigger sound stage than a P3S (which is of course not always desired).
๐Ÿ“ Reply