The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying my first mastering eq Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

I would add the Gyraf G14 to the list! TK-Lizer is a very good EQ for cheap money aswell.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone know what the price would be to get a Barry Porter eq built? How would that compare to the sontec?

I'm now more indecisive over what to get than before I wrote this post.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
If I remember correctly you can switch the Op Amps in the 5500 if you're not happy with the sound. That might get you somewhere.
Yup - that's what I did for my own - changed to Purple Audio DJ4's - it's smoother than stock but it still ain't no Sontec.

Discrete Opamps

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Nut

BPNEQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
Anyone know what the price would be to get a Barry Porter eq built? How would that compare to the sontec?

I'm now more indecisive over what to get than before I wrote this post.
Stock build for the Porter is about 1-1.5k. Depending on what rotary switches you want, add another 1.5-2k. Euro by the way.

It doesn't compare to Sontec as it does not use the HS OA. Which is a big part of the Sontec.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Another option is the Summit EQ200/MPE200 designed by Mr Neve. I am a big fan of mine and they should be around 3k IF you find one.

the MPE version issue is that the HP/LP are on the mic pre inputs not the EQ circuit.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Massive Passive Mastering version DO IT
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Not a huge fan of the massive passive on full mixes. I'm more wanting clear and sparkly hifi sounding.. The mp to me is thick and rich but slightly soft sounding.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a huge fan of the massive passive on full mixes. I'm more wanting clear and sparkly hifi sounding.. The mp to me is thick and rich but slightly soft sounding.
Then you probably are in the ballpark looking for - Musiq - Bettermaker - Sonteq 250.

I just wanted to check. Do you use DMG Equilibrium already?

Having recently got the CharterOak PEQ1 I can say that with Equilibrium for corrective and a single broad band "enhancement" Eq I would be more than happy myself for most jobs.

DMG plus Elysia XFilter would probably be a great combo for a tight budget.

Or the PEQ1 for a bit more.

I have the Millennia FF here as well and I much prefer the DMG for surgery duties and top end lift over the Millennia FF.

The Millennia FF is fantastic for a lot of crazy tricks that it has going. The second band is like as much of a mid range widener as it is a Eq. Very rich harmonics in this aria.
The top 2 bands act like a transient enhancer but they get too brittle sounding on most stuff if you push it more than a dB. Even just 1/4 dB is very very noticeable tho so its not like you wish you could have more.
The bass cuts act almost like a compressor in the way they pull back and tighten up the subs. It really is nothing like other Eq's I have used or heard.
Its a very specific sound and is really useful on modern music pop/hip hop/Electronic. But for me its not really a correctional Eq. Its sort of a transient enhancer/reducer and mid range widener tool.

The Millenia and the DMG Equilibrium together pair really damn well. I used/use this combo for the type of music you work on and it really works for me.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Honestly a good piece of analog eq for the beginning of an analog set up would be the BAX eq
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Nut

Deitrich mentioned the Summit/Neve MPE-200 EQ - it's a great piece but they are hard to find for sale. A quick heads up that I've just listed mine in the classifieds for $2800. Great sounding EQ that comes with a free pair of mic preamps, haha. I think it fits into the clear/sparkly/hifi vibe that you're looking for.

There's a well-written review of the piece right here
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Elg View Post
Deitrich mentioned the Summit/Neve MPE-200 EQ - it's a great piece but they are hard to find for sale. A quick heads up that I've just listed mine in the classifieds for $2800. Great sounding EQ that comes with a free pair of mic preamps, haha. I think it fits into the clear/sparkly/hifi vibe that you're looking for.

There's a well-written review of the piece right here
this is a difficult situation now, i think i need a cold shower...

no chance - the gearsluter in me won.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Great River MAQ-2NV. Amazing analog EQ, and could be found on the used market for about 3K. Stepped knobs, easy to use, sweet highs and tight low end. Good luck!
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Great River MAQ-2NV.
I did! It's a good EQ - the mids are great, especially for cuts, and the low end is very big but still quite tight, although quite restricted frequency wise and with a fairly wide Q. I find the highs to be a little on the harsh side but not as harsh as the API 5500, and still very usable in lots of situations.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
where?

a museq for 3k would be a great first mastering eq!
In the electonic bay.
I got mine there for 2500 euros.
Another one also went for 2,5k.

Of course you need to be a bit patient, because they do not pop up that often there.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I did! It's a good EQ - the mids are great, especially for cuts, and the low end is very big but still quite tight, although quite restricted frequency wise and with a fairly wide Q. I find the highs to be a little on the harsh side but not as harsh as the API 5500, and still very usable in lots of situations.
i will get my summit mpe-200 next week - had a great river maq - booth are (more or less) neve designs - would be interesting to compare them.
the great river maq have great mids, the lows are often a bit to massive and the highs have a very own texture - smoky in a way - works sometimes.
handling is great - in a way a underrated eq, maybe because of his sober layout.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

eq

ARREL Audio: ML-116

This is my main eq,and i strong suggest you to check out.
Its not very famous around globe but i consider it second only to Fairman.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had the MAQ as well. the mid cuts were like no other Eq i have owned...however it did not give me the lows+highs other EQs can...

it would be a luxury EQ to have in my rack to do cuts only
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
For 3K you can get a used Elysia Museq in best condition. It is an insane stereo mastering EQ.

I totally 2nd this! After shooting out a couple I was sold on the Museq! it is really an incredible all around mastering EQ.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Lancastermaster; 6th August 2014 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: Gif
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancastermaster View Post
I totally 2nd this! After shooting out a couple I was sold on the Museq! it is really an incredible all around mastering EQ.

Good Luck!
how easy is the recall? the potentiomenters ar afaik stepped with 23 steps - is it easy to find the same step or do they have a too fine resolution?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
how easy is the recall? the potentiomenters ar afaik stepped with 23 steps - is it easy to find the same step or do they have a too fine resolution?
No, recall is very easy. The steps are well defined and there's only two positions - either directly on the written value or in between two values. It's not like the 500 series gear, which while recallable, is a little tougher to nail because the steps aren't well defined and there's no set amount of steps between values.

Recall is a snap.

Regards,
Frank
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I recommend the d.a.v. electronics Broadhurst Gardens No. 3 mastering EQ. Outstanding finishing eq from Decca Records.

$1700 delivered from London.

D.A.V. electronics
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, recall is very easy. The steps are well defined and there's only two positions - either directly on the written value or in between two values. It's not like the 500 series gear, which while recallable, is a little tougher to nail because the steps aren't well defined and there's no set amount of steps between values.

Recall is a snap.

Regards,
Frank
great, thank you for this information!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
great, thank you for this information!
My pleasure. If you haven't already, make sure to check out my review here on GS about the Museq which has more information about it.

Elysia Museq

Regards,
Frank
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My pleasure. If you haven't already, make sure to check out my review here on GS about the Museq which has more information about it.

Elysia Museq

Regards,
Frank
That review made me wanting the Museq twice as much as i wanted it before :-)
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That review made me wanting the Museq twice as much as i wanted it before :-)
Sorry about that!

I've owned it a few years now and it still blows me away,

Thanks,
Frank
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Now I want a Museq too...
I think it would complement my Bettermakers nicely. Out of my budget though.
I'm in love with the Bettermakers and I'm looking for an eq with different high and low curves to complete my sonic arsenal. Not an easy task to match BM quality withing my budget. Those BMs are killer!
I def must check Elysia out, asap. Maybe the xfilter is close enough?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry about that!
No problem. That was my best investment beside my 2 MPressors :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marinelis View Post
Maybe the xfilter is close enough?
I have both, the XFilter and Museq. The XFilter is a superb true stereo eq/filter unit, and definitely worth to check it out.
But it is far from what the Museq can do.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have both, the XFilter and Museq. The XFilter is a superb true stereo eq/filter unit, and definitely worth to check it out.
But it is far from what the Museq can do.
Thanks for the info. I'll try the xfilter. It's nice the it has the resonant filters and the shelves as well. I don't worry about the mids, I have that covered
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So I've been doing more and more mastering work and it's getting to where I need a good basic outboard eq. I've been using an outboard focusrite red compressor and the mdw eq and various waves plugins in pro tools for now.

As far as eq's the only one I really have experience with on full mixes is the gml 8200 which I love but is out of my price range.

So far at the top of my list is a sontec 250 or the API 5500.. I know two totally different animals but I feel I could make either work.

What would you guys recommend in the 3k or lower range? Most of the music is modern heavy rock or hard hitting hip hop/ electronic tracks. Not too much soft dynamic music, so I'm looking for something tight and polished.
I started with the Sontec 250 and quickly moved to the Maselec MEA-2. highly recommended, maybe you can find one used. couldn't imagine using the 5500 as my sole eq on electronic music...
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
: /
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search