The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would cause you to stop working? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th July 2014
What would cause you to stop working?

I was thinking about this the other day - I've just been on holiday for a week so took the opportunity to send my MEA-2 in for servicing.

It arrived back today in tip top condition so it hasn't had any downtime, but I have an attended full album session tomorrow and I wouldn't be super comfortable working without it in that situation. Unattended I'd have no problem - it might take slightly longer but I'd be confident of getting similar results, but for attended sessions I really only feel comfortable if I'm operating at 100% speed.

If it hadn't come back I would have still done the session as it has been booked in for a long time, but I might have offered them the option of delaying a few days. Perhaps that just breeds an uneasiness that is unnecessary, though.

So, what would it take for you to down tools, even if only for a day? A broken piece of gear? Ear infection? Just feeling a bit crappy?
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I think the answer to this is to not engage emotionally with any piece of gear hw/sw (and have a backup plan). These are just tools. From the business point of view the continuity of operation is usually a top priority in services departments.
Sometimes such issues lead to discover something different, something quite useful, sometimes it's the only way to escape from daily routine.

Art
Old 28th July 2014
Yeah, I agree. I think the other problem re: attended sessions would be when the client turns up and sees the big hole in my rack: "why is that bit empty?" Am I then considered to be selling their project short by admitting that I am not working with my usual set of tools?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Personally I would agree that hardware should not be an issue. Unless you have a computer problem that is not solved by using the system backup. But I immediately get ear problems when having a cold. There is no other way than asking for a couple of days patience.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Yeah, I agree. I think the other problem re: attended sessions would be when the client turns up and sees the big hole in my rack: "why is that bit empty?" Am I then considered to be selling their project short by admitting that I am not working with my usual set of tools?
Surely the spin is the trick here?

"Yeah I usually use this awesome piece of gear, it's analogue and expensive and exciting, but the downside is sometimes it needs servicing and seeing as I'm a super efficient and busy self employed engineer I can't stop working "

I've done a few attended sessions recently, after doing some enhancements to the space people are more impressed with the 70s lamps and leather sofa tbh..
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Colds and flus really are the main one here.

I am purposely overstocked with gear, so that gives me a little bit of redundancy in the system and while I may not be able to get to where I want as quickly if a piece of gear went down due to my workflow, I could still get the master to where I think it should be with my other options.

The other situation is when you are half way through a record and something stops working (usually a valve) and it a a colour piece used for the record. In that situation I would send the band/mix engineer across the road to the pub on my tab while I got everything back up and running.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Broken DA-AD, amp, C drive, moved speaker position. Massive Passive would be a bad one to be out of service, would be missing that a lot, also Varis. I am fortunate enough to have good back ups for the first 2 DAAD/amp.

I get a flu jab every year, had it once 4 years back and it put the schedule out for 8 days, never again.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, if it's a client who is more interested to be in mastering room (and see the gear) rather than to listen to his music being lifted to the levels of his greatest satisfaction- that's the issue . Just replace the hole with a blank panel and try to go smoothly through the session (I know it's uncomfortable experience), maybe try to be more informative than usual, show him more before/after samples of his tracks. Just grab his attention somewhere else if needed and follow his response.
If it's a returning client who knows your console and gear well- just be honest about the unit in service. This is the opportunity to show the arsenal of tools at your disposal. Just try to think positive and the client will get it.

Art
Old 28th July 2014
Interesting thoughts. As I mentioned above it's not a current issue for me as the unit is now back and operational but it's nice to hear what people think anyway.

With a young child in the house who attends nursery colds are a semi-regular occurrence for me. Usually I can get by OK but I sometimes have to take a day or two off. Luckily the last time this happened was in the middle of a fairly dry spell, work wise.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I have enough gear to cope should something break. I have backup speakers, a backup DA/AD converter, backup outboard gear and even two backup computers.

However, I tend to take time off when I have a bad cold affecting my ears.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It also makes the assumption that they know/care what the gear is.

I think most people attend because they don't like emailing more than anything. Which I appreciate!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A couple days each spring I might need to take a day off if my allergies get bad enough that the neti pot won't fix it, but that's about it. Earlier this year my left shoulder was still recovering from surgery when I broke my right hand too, even then I was working the next day (thank you trackpads).
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, what would it take for you to down tools, even if only for a day? A broken piece of gear? Ear infection? Just feeling a bit crappy?
of course, illness. i have two computers with same specs & same audio software (one at home for editing, assembling, etc.) so in case of a fault there i could continue. but gear: not really. but of course, its always good to have some spare parts around (tubes, opamps, etc.).
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

illnes, a dead daw or a broken monitoring.
the rest is more or less "nice to have", maybe the knif's i would miss really...
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Internet access
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurend View Post
Internet access
+1

If you think about it it's crazy how much we depend on the web these days.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Do any other MEs find themselves super prone to ear infections? I'm so so so careful yet one ear seems to always get little infections, often it's dermatological but causes fluid to build (horrible!) but at the other end I get allergies and sinusitis a lot too, causing inner ear blockages.

I've learned to give in to it and just let it do it's thing and work it's way out these days. No point fighting it, you're bodies gotta sort itself out.
Old 28th July 2014
Cold, flu like everyone else or the amplifier for the main speakers.

Razik Mastering
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Power outage

Computer down

Monitor or amplifier down

Illness (do hangovers count?)

Missing any piece of rack gear has never prevented a session here, attended or not, unless recalls were involved...
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Do any other MEs find themselves super prone to ear infections? I'm so so so careful yet one ear seems to always get little infections, often it's dermatological but causes fluid to build (horrible!) but at the other end I get allergies and sinusitis a lot too, causing inner ear blockages.

I've learned to give in to it and just let it do it's thing and work it's way out these days. No point fighting it, you're bodies gotta sort itself out.
i realized, that what i thought is a little prone to sinusitis in my case is not sinusitis, but the result of a stiff neck (as consequence of sitting in front of a screen with a mouse in my right hand).
to adjust my atlas and making some streching exercises helped me a lot to open my "system"
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to get extremely bad ear infections all the time when I was younger, so now I'm fanatical about keeping them clean. And using alcohol drops every time after showers or swimming.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

illness mainly, make sure to keep in good health and take immune system boosting vitamins. nothing like boosting B vitamins and mega dosing on C regularly.

Absolutely true about the link between stiff neck and ear ringing.. stretching and trying to maintain a relaxed blood pressure helps a lot.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Unfortunately, being self employed and having a stiff neck go hand in hand!
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Winning the lottery... then I'd stop working forever
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I too have backup software on a separate computer. I have enough mastering equipment that I could use another piece of equipment in case my favorites are down or out for service. I guess a bad ear infection would stop me from working for a couple of days. Last summer one of the cross arms on a high voltage tower, that supplies the electricity for my town, cracked and fell off the tower. When it did it took down all the high voltage supplying my town so we were without any power for the better part of 10 hours. No lights, no AC and no way to do anything in my studio. Luckily I did not have a client that day but it made me think a lot about a back up generator. So far I have not done anything about getting one but the thought is still in my head. Good topic!
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I was going to write the same Silvertone posted.. Winning the Lottery would be a very good reason.

Returning to the topic, what can make me stop the workflow here:

a) internet problems;

b) some serious illnesses;

c) power failures;

d) Knowing that its is going to rain the whole weekend on summer. So why not go to the beach on friday?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Unfortunately, being self employed and having a stiff neck go hand in hand!
Very true, unfortunately.... somedays wish I had sick pay like most manufacturing ant workers.
Old 30th July 2014
Time ago I had a cold and I have mastered a whole album with only one ear. It was horrible and my blocked ear started to hurt a lot more after that. It took a good month to heal priperly.
So lesson learned...I have backup for pretty much everything else apart from a spare couple of ears.

It happened in the past and I'll postpone sessions again for sure if I have clogged ears or serious bad cold.

Apart from that I guess having the kids away and an empty house with my wife for a couple of days could be another reason

AB
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
I was going to write the same Silvertone posted.. Winning the Lottery would be a very good reason.
Great minds think alike Alecio!

No power, bad head cold or near death... otherwise there's bills to pay.

No internet has ever stopped me, in fact when I started we never relied on it, so why start now (ha ha).
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Direct hit by an asteroid.

Tornado headed directly for the neighborhood.

Zombie and/or Alien attack.

One night about 11pm I was working on a project, and Boom! The power went out.

After a few minutes of waiting, decided to go outside and look around.

The city power company had decided to replace a pole transformer in our complex,

Without any notice.

Guess they assumed no one in their right mind would be working that late.

Best, JT
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search