The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would cause you to stop working? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post

No internet has ever stopped me, in fact when I started we never relied on it, so why start now (ha ha).
USB Stick and nervously sitting in a coffee shop hoping my battery doesn't die.. been there.
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
USB Stick and nervously sitting in a coffee shop hoping my battery doesn't die.. been there.
Yeah, I remember a lot of trips down to sit outside McDonald's when I first moved into my current space and had no internet access.
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

What's with you guys and the "internet access"? You can't run a session without posting on GS? Or shopping on eBay/Amazon Prime?
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
What's with you guys and the "internet access"? You can't run a session without posting on GS? Or shopping on eBay/Amazon Prime?
It wouldn't literally stop me from working but without internet I couldn't send or receive files from clients. That's what we meant. Most of work here is unattended, without internet there isn't much I can do. I also have other parts of my business that rely on the web, like my invoice software, so I also couldn't invoice anyone without web access.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
It wouldn't literally stop me from working but without internet I couldn't send or receive files from clients. That's what we meant. Most of work here is unattended, without internet there isn't much I can do. I also have other parts of my business that rely on the web, like my invoice software, so I also couldn't invoice anyone without web access.
Ah, Okay. My bad. When I first clicked on this thread it was in So Much Gear > Studio Business section. After your reply, I realize it's part of the "Mastering" section. So yeah, now I can see how that would bring business to a standstill since you probably rely on file transfer for business a bit more than a recording studio. Again, my apologies.
Old 1st September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I was thinking about this the other day - I've just been on holiday for a week so took the opportunity to send my MEA-2 in for servicing.

It arrived back today in tip top condition so it hasn't had any downtime, but I have an attended full album session tomorrow and I wouldn't be super comfortable working without it in that situation. Unattended I'd have no problem - it might take slightly longer but I'd be confident of getting similar results, but for attended sessions I really only feel comfortable if I'm operating at 100% speed.

If it hadn't come back I would have still done the session as it has been booked in for a long time, but I might have offered them the option of delaying a few days. Perhaps that just breeds an uneasiness that is unnecessary, though.

So, what would it take for you to down tools, even if only for a day? A broken piece of gear? Ear infection? Just feeling a bit crappy?
Spiders! I ****ing hate spiders!
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm moving from Milan to Paris on Wednesday, without a permanent new place to move into. That's gonna stop me working. Studio will be in storage until we can find a permanent place, hopefully will only be a couple of weeks! I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have anything to master for more than a couple of days!
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
I'm moving from Milan to Paris on Wednesday, without a permanent new place to move into. That's gonna stop me working. Studio will be in storage until we can find a permanent place, hopefully will only be a couple of weeks! I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have anything to master for more than a couple of days!
Good luck with that!
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks, stressful but exciting!
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm getting ready to move from Seattle to Luxembourg, so I feel your pain.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

I always have a piece of gear out for servicing. I also have a backup DAW and converters. I practice doing about one mix a month completely ITB just to keep those skills up and have those options for workarounds.

The most disruptive gear to go for me would probably be monitors, monitor controller or hardware on the mix buss. Yeah, the internet going down would force me to take the day if I didn't have any stems already in the studio.
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Very envious! My wife and I spent 6 weeks there about 6 years ago while very seriously considering moving there. I felt it would be tough to break into the small audio market there.

We moved from Ireland to L.A. 3.5 years ago and it's been fantastic, best thing we ever did.

Good luck and please report back, Paris is my favorite place in the world.
Old 2nd September 2014
Quote:
I very recently spent 2 weeks in France, one of those weeks in Paris. On a creative level it's quite the inspiring place to be. Good luck with the move.
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks everyone, moving and signing the lease on a place tomorrow, next to Ecole Militaire metro stop, studio room has a view of the Eiffel Tower! Today 102 boxes left us in Milan, including all of my studio. Fingers crossed it all makes it! Will hopefully be up and running again in a couple of weeks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search