The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Equilibrium users thread (tips n tricks) Equalizer Plugins
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
How do we know it doesn't oversample by default?
I've checked with Dave Gamble and it's not something he seems interested in following up on or implementing unfortunately. Maybe if enough people requested it to be added he might reconsider. I never really noticed because I almost always up-sample all incoming projects to 2x FS before using Equilibrium anyway. However it makes a considerable difference even after down-sampling back to 44.1kHz again. Really surprised me actually.
Old 15th July 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
You can't change it in Equilibrium. You have to do an offline sample rate conversion on the file you want to process to the sample rate of choice i.e. 96kHz then load that into a 96kHz DAW session and then Equilibrium will be working at 2x FS
Ok thank you !!!!
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Sorry to dig up this thread, but does anyone know if Dave has ever addressed the glitchinesses of the undo/redo feature in equilibrium? It has never functioned properly in live on mac or pc.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape set View Post
Sorry to dig up this thread, but does anyone know if Dave has ever addressed the glitchinesses of the undo/redo feature in equilibrium? It has never functioned properly in live on mac or pc.
I have never experienced any issues with the undo/redo function of Equilibrium. On the other hand Equilibrium (and Limitless) seems to have become quite unstable in the last version. I suspect it might have to do with the OpenGL rewrite but it is just a guess.

I need to contact DMG about this but I haven't had time to do extensive testing yet to pinpoint the issue.

Alistair
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I have never experienced any issues with the undo/redo function of Equilibrium. On the other hand Equilibrium (and Limitless) seems to have become quite unstable in the last version. I suspect it might have to do with the OpenGL rewrite but it is just a guess.

I need to contact DMG about this but I haven't had time to do extensive testing yet to pinpoint the issue.

Alistair
Never? Hmm. I will go ahead and assume that maybe its an issue peculiar to live as i've always experienced it on live 8/9 on my pc and now 9.6 on my mac. What it does is sometimes skips around in the order of eq moves when undoing/redoing. Iow, sometimes it will skip the last move altogether instead reverting to the move made before that. Its an annoyance i've always dealt w bc i love the eq so much, but something told me to take it to task as it would make life a lot easier. Can anyone with ableton chime in? I should probably just email dave.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old thread revival - I'm late to this party (typical!), but am a recent Equilibrium owner and very happy with it.

Of its many attributes, I notice it seems particularly good for calming over-bright material - I don't know if it was just this particular batch of tracks, but the result seemed more natural and transparent with Equilibrium than other options.

A couple of things I'd like to see implemented (if they're already available, please let me know), both features of Slick EQ M I like:

1. Right mouse click (or a setup facility) to move amplitude in 0.5dB steps

2. The RTA police will be coming for me: although It's always ears before eyes here, I find the analyser useful on occasion. What it seems to lack at present is an 'average' line in the display to help confirm prominent frequencies over time.

Dave now emailed about these, be interesting to see what he says.

Last edited by lowland; 25th September 2017 at 09:13 AM..
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
I hope you can share it with us
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by melopie View Post
I hope you can share it with us
Will do, assuming Dave's happy for me to quote him.

Re. my point 2, I see there's a 'decay' parameter for the analyser in the setup, which when set to 'slow' goes some way to the kind of averaging display I'd like to see.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Old thread revival - I'm late to this party (typical!), but am a recent Equilibrium owner and very happy with it.

Of its many attributes, I notice it seems particularly good for calming over-bright material - I don't know if it was just this particular batch of tracks, but the result seemed more natural and transparent with Equilibrium than other options.

A couple of things I'd like to see implemented (if they're already available, please let me know), both features of Slick EQ M I like:

2. The RTA police will be coming for me: although It's always ears before eyes here, I find the analyser useful on occasion. What it seems to lack at present is an 'average' line in the display to help confirm prominent frequencies over time.

Welcome to the DMG train!

For maximum transparency try working in free mode and try your low cuts and filters in Linear Phase and let you high and mid stuff work in minimum.. all on the highest settings your computer can hack...

That's simply the most transparent EQ I have ever heard by some way, you can move the mix around holistically without any noticeable narrowing or closing up of the image, genius design!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Welcome to the DMG train!

For maximum transparency try working in free mode and try your low cuts and filters in Linear Phase and let you high and mid stuff work in minimum.. all on the highest settings your computer can hack...

That's simply the most transparent EQ I have ever heard by some way, you can move the mix around holistically without any noticeable narrowing or closing up of the image, genius design!
Thanks for that, Joe. Using a SADiE card as I do can be a bottleneck for plug-in speed, but I'll give it a go.
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
For maximum transparency try working in free mode and try your low cuts and filters in Linear Phase and let you high and mid stuff work in minimum.. all on the highest settings your computer can hack..
For everyday applications of EQ, I think the average mix engineer would recommend the opposite . Minimum phase for lows, linear phase for mids and highs
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
min phase for everything.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
IIR for everything! (I don't even know what kind of "phase" that is...)
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
minimum!
Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
For everyday applications of EQ, I think the average mix engineer would recommend the opposite . Minimum phase for lows, linear phase for mids and highs
Well I aint average or a mix engineer
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

Krzysztof of DMGAudio came back:

"Thanks for your suggestions, the first we will be implementing something similar in the future (we'll make it possible for the models to snap to the values of the hardware). The second you could achieve already by lowering the decay of the analyser."

Re. 1., I've asked if this could apply to the DMG curves as well, and as far as 2. is concerned, Krzysztof's right of course as noted in post 128 - now I've spent more time with Equilibrium, the decay parameter does everything I need in that department.

In other news, Equilibrium has been the catalyst for at last putting a display in the console: now I can listen front and centre while adjusting plug-ins, and don't have to sneak glances at the PC monitor to my right. A simple thing, but it makes me happy...
Attached Thumbnails
DMG Equilibrium users thread (tips n tricks)-display-console.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search