The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audiofile Engineering Spectre DAW Software
Old 15th April 2014
Here for the gear
Audiofile Engineering Spectre

Anyone used this for mastering purposes ? I am interested but would like to hear from some users if possible.

Spectre | Audiofile
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Hey, I think Miguel from Bender Mastering Studio uses them!

Contact him thru his Website.

Best.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use them sometimes, but the fact they are a separate app versus plugins means I typically reach for other options first. Great meters, just not something I can quickly set up if I have need.
Old 15th April 2014
Here for the gear
This is what i was worried about, as i can still use them with out being in my DAW but like you said its a lot easier to meter from the DAW.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I believe the meter plug ins in Triumph are based on Spectre, not sure if that's easier for you though.
Old 15th April 2014
Check out the Flux analyzer. Or for a cheaper option, check out the one by HOFA. I demoed it recently and really like it.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

dont really like something not inside my daw...hofa and bluecat rocks
Old 16th April 2014
Here for the gear
Yeah the flux and hofa meters are looking more appealing now
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Spectre is great! I'm not using it for mastering, but my mixing setup is "mastering grade" (Lavry Gold, Curve Bender, 2500, Vertigo Sound, OCL-2...) if that counts...

I am running Spectre and Flux Pure Analyzer together on a dedicated screen. It's a bit difficult to set up, but once finished it works like a charm. The fact that it is not a plug-in inside the DAW also has its advantages.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

I was about to purchase Spectre thinking I could assign it to my sound card output but it seems to only want to analyze inputs.

I believe that AF said they were working on an iOS version of Spectre that will meter your pre-volume button (maybe post too?) audio playback levels and probably EQ too.

If and when that happens, I'll buy that in a second.
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Head

I use it on a daily basis... I actually kind of enjoy it being an app, and not a plugin. I can run it behind my session and rely on my ears, only to flip over if there's something nagging me I can't catch or for RMS, etc.

The input only issue is kind of a bummer, but a simple lightpipe in/out loop took care of that issue and keeps the signal from hitting any additional d/a a/d processes outside of whats already happening in the signal chain.
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I do use spectre and I really like it! It's easily costumizable and a very powerful set of analyzers.

However, I don't use analyzers in mastering that often, though they are a must have tool to check things like L/R alignment, tape/converters calibration, etc.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know but their web site needs work. You go there, click on the app & it just brings up a screen that lets you buy it. No information, no screen shots, not even a proper description of what their stuff does.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sounds dumb, but did you scroll down? I made that mistake too before, it looks like a static page when it loads but all the content is lower down.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm on mobile and couldn't really check the website but there's a new Spectre version coming in the next few days, so it can also have to do with that.

According to Audiofile, the new 1.7 version was already submitted to the App Store.
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Nut

Spectre 1.7 has indeed been released and is on sale for $49.99 for a limited time. Can't afford not to have it.

Direct from Audiofile - Spectre | Audiofile

Mac App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spec...36872608?mt=12

Also, just posted a beta with some early bug fixes:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com...pectreBeta.dmg

iOS, Audio Units and AAX are in the future.
Old 22nd May 2014
Great program - I've used it for years with a dedicated MacMini for metering. New version is zippier, but so far doesn't support 88.2khz. Not sure if it's a bug or they are omitting higher sample rates.

- kent
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop View Post
Great program - I've used it for years with a dedicated MacMini for metering. New version is zippier, but so far doesn't support 88.2khz. Not sure if it's a bug or they are omitting higher sample rates.

- kent
It's a bug if the Input and Output hardware aren't the same device.

In Prefs > Audio, make sure the device for input and output are the same. Then, set the sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup.
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your presence here on the forum. I love all the AF Engineering apps.

Is there a reason why Spectre can't directly meter the output? I know there are workarounds but I've been a little too swamped to try them out.

It would be great to just be able to set Spectre to analyze the main L/R output of my Lynx AES16e. I understand if it's a technical limitation but if it's doable I think many users would find it useful.
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Nut

Route internally in your interface if it supports it. Otherwise, you can use patch cables (output > input). Otherwise you need to use something like Soundflower. It's ultimately a limitation of OS X, not the app. If Apple implements inter-application audio in OS X, it'll be a different story!

Audio Units and AAX plugin version of Spectre are on the way as well.
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foust View Post
Route internally in your interface if it supports it. Otherwise, you can use patch cables (output > input). Otherwise you need to use something like Soundflower. It's ultimately a limitation of OS X, not the app. If Apple implements inter-application audio in OS X, it'll be a different story!

Audio Units and AAX plugin version of Spectre are on the way as well.
Thanks for the info. I have a few stereo AES I/O so I was able to make a loop when working ITB but haven't had time to add the loop into my Lynx settings when implementing my analog mastering chain. It shouldn't be too hard once I have a few hours of downtime to integrate the two settings.

Is there a VST version of Spectre planned? Wavelab 8.5 is due out in June and one of the features is adding a post slot that isn't in the processed signal chain. It's ideal for things like meters that you want inserted but not in your signal chain, and don't have to remember to remove when rendering files even if they claim to not affect the audio. I still prefer to not have any meters inserted when doing final renders or bounces.

Anyway, I do some things in Pro Tools so AAX will be nice but let me know if there are plans for VST too.

What is the timeline for AAX? weeks, months, or next year?

thanks again.
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Nut

No VST. AU's first, AAX after that. Likely Q3.
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll just plan on making the AES mirror/loop work for all my workflows.

One thing that would be nice is a way to group all the meter windows and be able to move them around all at once. I have a two monitor setup and as soon as you launch Spectre with the 2nd monitor off (happens for various reasons), all the meters pop over to the main monitor and then moving all the meters back to monitor two one at a time takes a little time. Not a major issue but a nice feature to consider....or maybe you can already do this and I need to learn how.

thanks.
Old 22nd May 2014
Quote:
It's a bug if the Input and Output hardware aren't the same device.

In Prefs > Audio, make sure the device for input and output are the same. Then, set the sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup.
That fixed it. Thank you Matthew!

Great app.
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1.7 is a great update to an already very good app. I've been using with AU netsend to measure Reaper output and it wworks flawlessly. And it's not a CPU heavy app this version.
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

It would be great if AAX happens. I remember the older versions always mentioned that RTAS was coming and it never seemed to happen. I think a plugin similar to the Flux Analyser, which lets you run the software as a separate application with a plug in that lets you internally route the audio from a DAW to the analyser application would be a great workflow.
Old 23rd May 2014
Here for the gear

Got this to work with PT11 by using Source-Nexus.

Source-Nexus | Source Elements

Set Spectre's hardware input to Source-Nexus.

Then in PT put a Source Nexus send plugin on the master.

Was very stable me on a Macbook Pro.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

If you are daring, you could attempt to setup JackD for windows (originally developed for Linux), which will let you route I/O between all the programs on your computer.
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Thats awesome news!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear maniac

Quote:
Please do a VST version, CUBASE and ABLETON run on Mac and use VSTs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search