The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do ME's charge so much extra to sit in? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st March 2014
i wouldnt do it,but i cant fault those who do
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Charging extra for attended sessions is wrong, imo.
Most ME don't charge more for attended sessions.

We just charge less for unattended sessions!

... For all the reasons already listed, and the fact that unattended is usually a flat rate, whether or not we spend twice the amount of time polishing unattended projects out of professional pride).
Old 22nd March 2014

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Charging extra for attended sessions is wrong, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brethes View Post
Most ME don't charge more for attended sessions.

We just charge less for unattended sessions!
Exactly the point. My main reason for charging more would be for scheduling reasons.

I don't master, I mix - but the principle is the same. I don't charge "more" for attended mixing, but then people rarely expect to come and sit in.

I fit mixing work around scheduled tracking sessions in the main. If someone really wants to "sit in" on a mix, I'd have to "book" the studio (which might mean turning down a tracking session), and it'd probably take longer too. If I have to turn down a tracking session, you're costing me money, so you're going to pay more in anticipation of that. Plus I often work on mixes at unexpected times - I might get a cancellation so have 6hrs to spend on an outstanding mix.

I appreciate the situation might be different for many guys who only master, but the principle is broadly similar. Flexibility is worth a discount; if someone gets a cancellation which means they can slot a scheduled master in early and get an afternoon with their kids/in the sun/out of work, that's got to be worth more of a discount than if you've got a couple of hours of dead time whilst you're waiting for a client to turn up for an "attended" session.

Sometimes attended sessions are simply necessary (in mixing as well - although it's best just at the end of the process), but a lot of the time they're not - and you pay for the extra inconvenience. Or as dom points out, you get a discount for being more flexible
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Any system of exchange of value, whether it is the bleeding edge of global capitalism, or pre-monetary barter, is going to distinguish between a hand job, a blow job, and getting preached at from the Book of Job.

In an alternate reality, attended sessions might cost less. What costs more or less is not important: what is important is the distinction between different kinds of performance art and human interaction.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search