The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clean compressors at the mastering stage Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th March 2014
Clean compressors at the mastering stage

Here are a couple of well known clean compressors; I welcome your thoughts and experience with them.

1. GML Dynamic Range Controller

2. Cranesong STC-8

3. DW Fern VT-7

4. Charter Oak SCL1

5. Pendulum Audio OCL-2

6. Pendulum Audio ES-8

7. Dangerous Compressor

8. Avalon 747

9. Dave Hill Titan

10. Cranesong Tracker
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 (#1 actually) FCS P3S ME
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

i use the foote & the titan, stc8 have a comparable texture, but is more expensive.
avalon 747, pendulum ocl & charter oak haven't impress me very much - but many things are a matter of taste & the unit have to fit into your chain.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For absolutely transparent compression the best I have found is the TDR Feedback Compressor II (free software plugin), but then I haven't used any of the hardware devices you mention.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
My favorite also.....
Old 7th March 2014
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
2. Cranesong STC-8
I have an STC-8/M and it can be very clean, especially when used with semi-automatic release in Hara mode, which further reduces the risk of intermodulation distortion with short release times.

In Ki mode, as gain reduction increases it becomes increasingly colored (bright). This can be useful on some sources or when used in parallel.

Quote:
8. Avalon 747
Not so clean IMO. I remember the AD2044 as cleaner, but it's a long time ago I had one.

Quote:
9. Dave Hill Titan
I have a set of Titans and they can be very clean. They can add a bit more punch than the STC-8, especially in combination with a touch of Dynamic Color. Using the Vintage knob and Dynamic Color the Titans can be made to color the signal considerably (beyond what most would ever need in a mastering situation). The Titans can't do traditional saturation, so they won't subsitute something like The Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Getting one soon.. Class A version. Looks like a desert island compressor, very versatile.
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Here are a couple of well known clean compressors; I welcome your thoughts and experience with them.

1. GML Dynamic Range Controller
Very clean transparent compressor that I wish I could own

2. Cranesong STC-8

Another very transparent compressor. With the Ki and Hara, I remember liking one and the other seemed to be a little dull.

3. DW Fern VT-7
This is a compressor to die for. It's clean but it has an organic clean sound that just makes the mix sound better. This would be my first choice at of all these clean compressors if I could afford it.

4. Charter Oak SCL1
Never had one in my studio, but the samples I heard did not impress me

5. Pendulum Audio OCL-2
Great for adding that 3 dim sparkle, but thats about it.

6. Pendulum Audio ES-8
Expensive and it failed to impress me. It reduces the signal but its not as clean and #1, & 2

7. Dangerous Compressor
I have not heard it so I cannot comment, but I would think it is just as transparent as 1 & 2. With the options on each would make them unique and a little different.

8. Avalon 747
[/B]Love the Avalon 747, and its the bang for the buck one here. Turn the tube section off and it is clean. Just -1, to -2 db and your done. Very flexible with the hp filter it has on it. EQ is a bonus on the unit.[/B]

9. Dave Hill Titan
One of the best compressors as it is very flexible in sound and how it reacts to the signal. Also great for tracking as well.

10. Cranesong Tracker
Have not tried it but those who have tried the Ttian and Tracker, seem to like the lower price and additional options of the Titan.

For me, my top 3 in this group is
1. DW Fearn VT-7
2. Two Titans
3. Avalon 747
Old 7th March 2014
7. 1. 2. ds1. 5. 10. in order of transparency. even though i didn' t used 1 for a long time so...
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

I love my 747 too. Very clean for the $$$.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

The 747 is great, awesome price for what you get..

I agree that the unit is not clean sounding as some other units on this list, but the 747 is not dirty either.. My safe sound audio dynamic tool box is absolutely more transparent.

The 747 warms up mixes in a genital way that is very useful. and can really bring a track alive. But for me most of the time the knee on the compressor is to aggressive on some types of music. So I find my self just running signals threw the unit with the tubes on and compressor engaged with little or no compression happening. this works great most of the time.

The 747 is a color unit, but not a heavy handed one.
Old 8th March 2014
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
The 747 warms up mixes in a genital way that is very useful.
Genital way? Could be useful if the mix needs balls...
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Freudian slip ??
must be best slip on GS for some time
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

ha ha ha, I did not catch that.. I was super tired yesterday.. probably was not a good idea to troll the forums.
A Freudian slip.. I wouldn't say that .. just a stupid auto correct error I did not catch.. But in some strange sense the point in my statement got across.. Funny.. I can see why you could interpret a Freudian slip..

I meant to say gentle, the harmonics in the 747 are pleasant..
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
That's great!! LMFAO!!!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Both my elysia and my Maselec can be very clean sounding. There are many options of clean compression when it comes to mastering!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Im still giggling at genital slip
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

missing Alan Smart C2 as well
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Im glad my sleep walking can provide such hilarity..
Old 12th March 2014
Foote. Do it.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-p View Post
7. 1. 2. ds1. 5. 10. in order of transparency. even though i didn' t used 1 for a long time so...
The Dangerous more transparent than the GML....? I can't imagine anything being more transparent than the 8900... it's in a class of its own, like all GML gear... but I have not yet heard the Dangerous. Very curious and very interested. This is surely very high praise for the Dangerous.

Anyone else care to comment on the Dangerous verses GML in terms of transparency?

Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
The Dangerous more transparent than the GML....? I can't imagine anything being more transparent than the 8900... it's in a class of its own, like all GML gear... but I have not yet heard the Dangerous. Very curious and very interested. This is surely very high praise for the Dangerous.

Anyone else care to comment on the Dangerous verses GML in terms of transparency?

as i said i didn't A/B them, just based on my memory of the Gml

memory do fail...but still i would rate them as 7 and 1 or 1 and 7 not really a clear winner here.

let's see if someone has done the real A/B, curious to see.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Why has nobody mentioned the Weiss DS1 mk3? It can be ridiculously clean when setup properly.

Also another digital box, the Sintefex FX2000/FX8000 can be extremely clean and versatile when you turn off the dynamic convolution thingy and just use the compressor transfer function instead. Extremely useful!

And yet a few digital examples in plugin format:

Flux Solera.. this one can be the cleanest on the planet basically but it's tricky to setup and you need to know what you are doing.

Toneboosters new Bus Compressor can be very very very very clean and versatile. Make sure you open up the "expert" panel and play with the Transient Compression amount.

On the analogue side, if money is of no concern then you can't go much cleaner than the Elysia Alpha Compressor.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Why has nobody mentioned the Weiss DS1 mk3? It can be ridiculously clean when setup properly.

bManic
Oupps, maybe you didn't read all the post.. ..
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Clean comps

Another vote for the Maselec MLA 2.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Also another digital box, the Sintefex FX2000/FX8000 can be extremely clean and versatile when you turn off the dynamic convolution thingy and just use the compressor transfer function instead. Extremely useful!

And yet a few digital examples in plugin format:

Flux Solera.. this one can be the cleanest on the planet basically but it's tricky to setup and you need to know what you are doing.

Toneboosters new Bus Compressor can be very very very very clean and versatile. Make sure you open up the "expert" panel and play with the Transient Compression amount.

On the analogue side, if money is of no concern then you can't go much cleaner than the Elysia Alpha Compressor.

Cheers!
bManic
I have Flux Solera and I have only rarely used it with good results. Most of the time it seems too finicky and hard to get the results I'm looking for. What are some of your experiences with setting it up and what are some of your typical starting points?

Thanks!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
For absolutely transparent compression the best I have found is the TDR Feedback Compressor II (free software plugin), but then I haven't used any of the hardware devices you mention.
Thanks for the tip on this! Finally the compressor I've wanted for years- like a miniature man moving a microscopic high-resolution fader. I imagine that to get this level of transparency plus sweetness when pushed hard you'd have to have quite a machine.
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobro View Post
Thanks for the tip on this! Finally the compressor I've wanted for years- like a miniature man moving a microscopic high-resolution fader. I imagine that to get this level of transparency plus sweetness when pushed hard you'd have to have quite a machine.
This compressor is quite the leveler. The Sonoris is similar, maybe able to get a slightly punchier effect from it, but both are amazingly good at getting ultra transparent compression without much of a tonal footprint.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

I'd reach out to Dustin, of RegularJohnRecording.com
He makes great gear. I own a buss compressor that he made and it is damn sweet. And transparent. He'll make it to your specs, with lifetime warranty. Again, highly recommended.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Workhorse compressor here is the STC-8 and even just its all-discrete gain stage has a certain "heft" to it. I'd add the Vertigo VSC-2 to the list (although known for some harmonic vibe in its gain stage, I rarely use any make up gain on it).
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

That's awesome. I haven't tried warming the genitals with mine. Tempting though it may sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search