The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clean compressors at the mastering stage Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

So after all in terms of clean and transparency aspects i would list the DM21 at 2nd place after the 8900 and before the FCS and STC8..

DM21
FCS
STC8

That will say alot to me cause now the DM21 is my favourite comp...Lets not forget the price point!!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszacca View Post
Forgot to mention guys that in ALL samples the Attack & Recovery were set to Automatic mode...another thing i like alot!
I originally thought it was an auto mode myself, and they even refer to it as such, but in the manual it says that auto mode is a fixed attack of 30ms and a fixed release of 30 ms.

Still, if it works, it works.

Regards,
Frank
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I originally thought it was an auto mode myself, and they even refer to it as such, but in the manual it says that auto mode is a fixed attack of 30ms and a fixed release of 30 ms.

Still, if it works, it works.

Regards,
Frank
Which would be quite different from a RMS based detector...
Old 19th April 2014
Got my eye on the Trakker compressor. I like the different modes it offers with Hard, Soft, Optic, and Optic air.
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear
hm interesting thread, thanks guys.

I imagine this would be the kind of stuff I would keep secret.
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

There's no secret in our work..why would it be?
Im not afraid someone would 'steal' the way i do it..
Facts matters,and im pretty confident in what im doing..

DM21 its a must have by the way,indeed very clean,but adds that some you need all the time..
Its like a fabulous exiter/maximizer...i can finally have that mojo on programs i was trying to catch in various desperate ways,but never really achieved..
Really adds 3d imaging with details on full spectrum..
Most of the time i find these settings perfect :
sidechain : bass cut + sibilance boost
0.5/1 GR
+2 db gain
1.4 ratio
40ms attack
fastest recovery

ofcourse will slightly set those settings according to actual program,but im very happy with it,,it really works spot-on on every genres..
currently its my only analog comp,i got rid of dakings fetII and cant imagine working without..
big hand to Chris
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

Foote Control Systems P3S is my top pick for clean compression, but definitely have to add the Knif Vari Mu II to the list here. Been super impressed at the level of clarity and detail in this compressor, especially with its amorphous core transformers. Can read more about it here in a blog post I put up earlier today - Knif Vari Mu II
Old 31st May 2014
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Here are a couple of well known clean compressors; I welcome your thoughts and experience with them.

1. GML Dynamic Range Controller
Cold

2. Cranesong STC-8
Soft

3. DW Fern VT-7
Sweet

4. Charter Oak SCL1

5. Pendulum Audio OCL-2
Meh

6. Pendulum Audio ES-8
Meh

7. Dangerous Compressor

8. Avalon 747
Sheen

9. Dave Hill Titan

10. Cranesong Tracker
Meh

Elysia Alpha
Old 3rd June 2014
I can really recommand the tracker for Mastering even if its not stepped, its absolute clean and awesome sounding and i really enjoy, what it does to the transients. Also its very reliable due to its different modes and is said to emulate different compressors, but as i can say it doesnt sound like la2a or 1176 exactly - its different - but on an aureate way.
Old 3rd June 2014
nobody tried the GML 2030 ?
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

I'm moving my chandler ldt2's out of my rack and they will go over to the two buss of my summing rig. Yum! Now I'll need to replace them and want to go with something a bit more transparent. I tend to like to look into the new things, so the Dangerous is probably in first place right now. The only thing that I dont like is that is doesn't have parallel capabilities. Could use my liaison for that though. The main contenders are FCS, a pair of Titans, or maybe even something crazy like a TK Audio BC2-ME. The latter isn't transparent, but its got detects, multiple hi pass frequencies, and parallel blend.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
my choice for clean compression the MS-comp from ADT-Audio. extrem versatile featureset. a little bit similar to the titans but with some nice extras.
very musical and transparent compression.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
my choice for clean compression the MS-comp from ADT-Audio. extrem versatile featureset. a little bit similar to the titans but with some nice extras.
very musical and transparent compression.
to recall this compressor would make me crazy... if mastering is your daily business, a safe recall is very important
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
recall is no problem for me at all.
only the unit could be bigger for easier handling.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Rupert Neve MBP is very clean to my ear.

Surprised no one has mentioned it.

Rupert Neve Designs – Portico II – Master Buss Processor

Best, JT
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Rupert Neve MBP is very clean to my ear.

Surprised no one has mentioned it.

Rupert Neve Designs – Portico II – Master Buss Processor

Best, JT

Sold mine and the dakings to get the DM21...loved the MBP that i coudnt really used it everytime on programs(i mean the actual comp GR),,,what i miss from MBP is the SFE section with those depth and width controls(amazing),but i manage to do it in other way...i found it a very special comp for mixing more than mastering anyway in its overall functions
Old 7th June 2014
The Dangerous compressor seems to be a great unit, I just hate the meters on it. They remind me of the doctors office and some of the equipment they use.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
The Dangerous compressor seems to be a great unit, I just hate the meters on it. They remind me of the doctors office and some of the equipment they use.
But surely there's something deep to be learned from the connection between mixing and gynecology.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Maniac

I've purchased an EHX NY-2A the other week, sounds amazing, transparent, yet big and fluid (not as in rounding transients, but as in high end like Levinson) it's a beast, heavy, deep, got a huge fan own the back, howls like an aircondioner, but it's sound, damn....
Also got a SLC-1 API 2500 and A-Designs nail, but they don't even get close.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search