The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Side Chaining Compressor without side Chain input
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Side Chaining Compressor without side Chain input

Hi guys,

So I'm at the mastering stage of a track and have a compressor on the main bus. I want to filter the bass frequencies so they don't go through the compressor, however, the compressor doesn't have a side chain input.

What's the best way to do this?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
To the best my knowledge you can't use a compressor to side chain if it doesn't have a sidechain.... unless somebody much smarter than me knows an easy way.

Only way I can think of which would be a lit of work would be to use some clever automation

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
If you don't want the bass going through the compressor and that's it, I would just bus everything to the compressor except the bass

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

But I'm at the mastering stage, so only have a stereo file....
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

you could use this RS-MET crossover (RS-MET) to build your own signal path to the compressor and out again.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
To the best my knowledge you can't use a compressor to side chain if it doesn't have a sidechain.... unless somebody much smarter than me knows an easy way.

Only way I can think of which would be a lit of work would be to use some clever automation

Sent from my SGH-T999
Well, there are some tricks that can have the same effect:

For example, you could use emphasis / de-emphasis.

Say, for example, you want to filter the (non-existent) sidechain so that the low end doesn't trigger the compressor. What you could do is make a low shelf dip starting at (say) 170hz, min 12dB. You run that through your compressor, then after that make a low shelf boost of 12dB at 170hz. I'd do this (the EQ) with plugs for precision.

I sometimes use a similar trick when i want to add saturation without the low end breaking up.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post

Say, for example you want to filter the (non-existent) sidechain so that the low end doesn't trigger the compressor. What you could do is make a low shelf dip starting at (say) 170hz, min 12dB. You run that through your compressor, then after that make a low shelf boost of 12dB at 170hz. I'd do this (the EQ) with plugs for precision.

I sometimes use a similar trick when i want to add saturation without the low end breaking up.
Smart!

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post

Say, for example, you want to filter the (non-existent) sidechain so that the low end doesn't trigger the compressor. What you could do is make a low shelf dip starting at (say) 170hz, min 12dB. You run that through your compressor, then after that make a low shelf boost of 12dB at 170hz. I'd do this (the EQ) with plugs for precision.

Good tip. You can also try to use parallel compression, just feeding the compressor with what you want to be compressed, over do it a little and add that to your original signal. It won't sound exactly the same but it might also work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search