The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ISO for sending to the factory?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

ISO for sending to the factory?

I'm getting more and more requests from clients who want the final master as an ISO because they're just having the CD's duplicated (burnt) and it seems most of these burning companies want an ISO.

But i'm right in thinking that ISO can't be trusted to keep all the CD text and ISRC codes, right?

Thanks! .........I.R.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Why not contact the duplicators and ask?

The one's we use for short run orders prefers DDPs, which makes everything easier. I'd give them a call or send an email and see what they need (possibly why, if it's something unusual). I don't think an ISO can be used for an audio CD, but maybe there's a way to store those too inside an ISO container?

ISO images are a sector by sector copy of a computer data disc, using any one of the common file formats. It won't work with audio (AFAIK), which has a different file format/data layout and includes tracks & markers (unless your CD has only one long track).

A DDP is also an image of the complete contents of the disc, but an audio disc, including metadata in the subcode channels. A DDP includes verification/checksum info to ensure all data is correct and hasn't been tampered with.

I'd contact them and check.

Thor
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Image formats and ripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
I'm getting more and more requests from clients who want the final master as an ISO because they're just having the CD's duplicated (burnt) and it seems most of these burning companies want an ISO.

But i'm right in thinking that ISO can't be trusted to keep all the CD text and ISRC codes, right?

Thanks! .........I.R.
The ISO format (2048 bytes/sector) is suitable for CD-ROM (data) discs and DVDs without copy protections. I don't recommend to use ISO file extensions for images with a different sector layout (2352 bytes/sector etc.). There's a big risk of confusion and problems.

For CD-Audio/CD-Extra/Enhanced CD formats where CD-Text, ISRC codes and UPC/EAN can appear, I would recommend direct export from your premastering software to the glassmastering standard of DDP files or you can use CUE+BIN format. More complicated CD-Text info should be stored in a separate CDTEXT.CDT or CDTEXT.BIN file linked from the CUE file.

I have bad experience with most ripping software not using C2 test during ripping (ISO Buster, ImgBurn, CDEx, Nero, Toast, DiscJuggler). The only exceptions are the applications and utilities which can read the disc twice like the old CDDAE 99 from Eric Deppe. Exact Audio Copy, dBpoweramp and PerfectRip are good solutions for semi-profi or home usage.

You should check every plant whether they are able to process disk images correctly or not. I would not recommend a plant burning CDs and DVDs from disc images and then ripping these discs with Eclipse.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Sonoris DDP creator has the option to output cue sheet with a single wav, a .cue and a cdtext.cdt containing all the CD text.

Perhaps you could use that if they cant read the DDP file set.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks!

I'll continue to do what i've been doing, which is to refuse to provide masters (or ref copies) as ISO!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
DDP is the way to go and if you send them via file transfer with MD5 checksum there is no chance for errors.

Every pro replicator can deal with it.

A pro replicator for CD Audio also takes care for the best burning speed in his combination of blank CDs and CD burners.

Standard replication companies where 95% of their jobs are replicating data CDs just take the maximum speed also for Audio CDs.
If a replicator don´t know anything about DDP I would be very careful.

Your customers should know that too. ;-)
Old 25th October 2013
Never heard of a plant asking for ISO. Better to talk to them directly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search