The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Utilizing converter headroom to increase loudness
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Utilizing converter headroom to increase loudness

During mastering I'm currently using a PrismSound Orpheus AD/DA converter. It operates with the full scale signal at +18dBu. However, some converters such as for instance the converters from Lavry operate with the full scale signal at +24dBu, in other words +6dB of SPL. I'm thinking that if I would make a converter upgrade I would be able to push masters louder simply by utilizing the converter's headroom. I know this is not giving me any additional resolution since there are other bottlenecks in the input material, but still up to 6dB of more signal to play with before clipping seems to be worth thinking about as a way of reducing the negative impacts of the limiters (that to some degree impact the frequency balance from their signal attenuation)...
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Are you using analog processors while mastering digital files? If not then the additional 6dB will have no impact on the final product.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalgear View Post
Are you using analog processors while mastering digital files? If not then the additional 6dB will have no impact on the final product.
I'm currently not doing so, but I'm thinking of possibly moving in that direction, e.g. using the Pendulum Audio PL-2 Brickwall Peak Limiter or a similar analog peak limiter. Could you please explain why the additional 6dB will have no impact on the final product, do you mean that I won't get the mix 6dB louder like this? It says on the PL-2 product page that you can drive the front end of an A/D converter at +22 dBu, I'm thinking that would give me +4dB of signal when I would use it on the Orpheus converted signal. (PrismSound Orpheus DA -> Pendulum Audio PL-2 Peak Limiter -> Lavry AD122-96 MX at +24dBu, leaving +2dBu headroom)
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe View Post
I'm currently not doing so, but I'm thinking of possibly moving in that direction, e.g. using the Pendulum Audio PL-2 Brickwall Peak Limiter or a similar analog peak limiter. Could you please explain why the additional 6dB will have no impact on the final product, do you mean that I won't get the mix 6dB louder like this? It says on the PL-2 product page that you can drive the front end of an A/D converter at +22 dBu, I'm thinking that would give me +4dB of signal when I would use it on the Orpheus converted signal. (PrismSound Orpheus DA -> Pendulum Audio PL-2 Peak Limiter -> Lavry AD122-96 MX at +24dBu, leaving +2dBu headroom)
Hi,

That's correct. The additional headroom you get with the Lavry will allow you to run hotter into the A/D stage, but after A/D conversion, you'll have the same 0dBFS limit you did before you went out via the D/A. So this chain effectively gives you lots of analog headroom that you can use to your advantage for analog processing because it helps avoid nasty clipping in the analog stages if you're running with very hot levels.

Any change in perceived tone or loudness via this process would be via the added distortion/coloration from the hot analog levels and other analog processing, but getting back to the finished product, it won't make a difference in the final product's levels anymore than digital processing would, since you you'll still hit that same 0dBFS ceiling when you convert back to digital with the A/D.

Cheers!
Rob
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

You get an extra 6dB in the analogue domain only.

A PL2 will get you a louder master. You don't need a new converter.

Here is a test for you. Run a file out and in at +4 and then -10 on the Orpheus. Then you can hear for yourself how much impact where you set 0 has.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search