The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flux Alchemist Tips and Tricks
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Flux Alchemist Tips and Tricks

Anyone have any tips, best practices, commonly used settings or care to discuss any aspect of working with Flux Alchemist? Did a search for threads but didn't find any meaty ones on this subject. I'm trying to learn more about what this plugin does and how it works.

I've owned the plugin for a few years and have used it on quite a few mixes / masters. Out of all the plugins I own and use I feel like I still understand this one the least even after extensive use, lots of experimenting, a/b testing and critical listening and reading the manual cover to cover. I have always tended to not use plugins with too many "voodoo" settings, and disliked this plugin at first from too many cleverly named settings. But with using it, I noticed it's really powerful and complex and can completely change the character of a mix for the better in ways I have trouble putting my finger on. Dramatically re shaping stuff without sounding like it got smashed or stomped on.

So I wanted to ask some users here if anyone would be willing to shed some light on any aspect of this plugin, from technical explanations to when, where and how you might use it. I'm working with a lot of dance music, so I tend to be using it with only a low band engaged, to tame over zealous kick drums, but I'm sure there's a lot if possible use cases.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

It is a composite of a few plugins and way too pricey for what it can be used for.

I can see why you got it as saves buying the individual plugs or the whole bungle.

I'm going to extend a kind hand and offer to buy it off you for about half price as I am only interested in the comp and limiter including the dongle of course.

As you can see there is very little info on it and one demo on youtube which might help you as well as the manual.

The problem with it is it is just too big a cpu draw for multiple instances and in combo of uses it needs some gain automation or similar.

After you have dusted it off and when it falls back into disuse please pm me.

Or you could just do what I'd do if you sell it to me.
Use the comp and the limiter.
The Expander might be useful if you have a noisy track but just about any expander will work to lower noise and that is what it is there for. If after compression you got noise rising up you can use expansion to lower the noise before it hits the limiter.

For most parts the same issues can be addressed in the mix first.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Well I, for one, love this plugin a LOT for my mastering jobs. And I use it precisely for those two "obscure" functions it has : angels dust and heresis, if I remember correctly. Now I'll have to agree that I'm not a big fan of the mysterious names, and it doesn't make you wanna use them... But after experimenting with it for a long period of time, this is what I've concluded :

As much as I couldn't technically explain what those two settings do to the signal, I've found an application in which a combination of both really gives phenomenal results, that I'd have a hard time recreating without this plugin.

When I wanna tame a frequency band as naturally and musically as possible, I turn up those two weird knobs, and then I dial in the compression ratio knob little by little, until its too much, then I back down.

The frequency band is tamed in such a natural way, that you could never tell any processing was done to the mix, and the more you experiment the more you'll feel comfortable tweaking more parameters (the MS knob comes to mind) depending on the situation. For this use, this is the best multiband comp I've had my hands on (though I'm curious to try the new FabFilter one).

I've come to accept that I don't understand everything that's going on under the hood. As long as I know how to put it to good use in my workflow, and always trust my ears first... I'm a happy camper
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie Monsta View Post
And I use it precisely for those two "obscure" functions it has : angels dust and heresis
"angels dust" releases the ratio as the signal rises further above the threshold and "heresis" is a floating threshold kind of like the Sonnox Supresser uses.

If your using it as a DeEsser, the feedback mode set to rms really works like a charm.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Interesting, never tried it as a de-esser before :-) Thanks for the tip !
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I did find again this thread Flux Alchemist, the ultimate multiband?

As far as I understand

Hysteresis = auto threshold
Angel's Share = auto ratio
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by aof21 View Post
Hysteresis = auto threshold
Angel's Share = auto ratio
Yes, although depending on the setting the user has control over the amount of auto-ratio or auto-threshold and completely manual so you can essentially do a fair amount of blending.

I see it as "dynamic influence". i.e. the dynamic range content of the signal is used as an influencer and not just the signal levels.

So, for Angel's Share, a lower ratio is applied to complex signals and a higher ratio is applied to sustained signals.

Hysteresis essentially results in a higher threshold being applied to complex signals and a lower threshold being applied to sustained signals.

cheers,
Reynaud
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie Monsta View Post
I'm not a big fan of the mysterious names, and it doesn't make you wanna use them... But after experimenting with it for a long period of time, this is what I've concluded :

I've found an application in which a combination of both really gives phenomenal results, that I'd have a hard time recreating without this plugin.
+1 !
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Flux alch

Own it, use it, love it! Sometimes just opening it up improves a mix, unlike most Waves plug ins!
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

not an Alchemyst user, but a Solera one and in the latest versions those parameters are explained sufficiently in the manual. They are indeed auto ratio and threshold controls
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

i use it in solera & soleraFB mode most of the time. i found the other modes to be too wriggly. sometimes i use only 2 bands. the expander is nice for stem-mastering, e.g. to shorten the decay of a bassdrum on the drum-stem. decompression can help as well.
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

Alchemist is s fantastic tool !

Now, I'm looking forward to the AAX update.
I have a feeling its not too far away …

G

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search