The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Foreign Characters (Chinese/Japanese) in CD-Text...possible?
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Foreign Characters (Chinese/Japanese) in CD-Text...possible?

I assume there must be a method of encoding Japanese and Chinese characters, but The Google thus far is not abiding. Can anyone shed some light?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Hi Nathan, I looked into this same thing many many years ago and I couldn't find a way to do it. Things(CD-Text spec.?) might have changed over the years but I have never come across another client wanted to do this on his/her master.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
From my understanding some Japanese Kanji characters ARE in fact supported in the CD Text spec - and I believe Sony actually had an authoring tool for this purpose - however I do not know whether this is still available and where to get it.

Please be aware that many CD Text compatible players do not display characters other than a basic ASCII set though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
From my understanding some Japanese Kanji characters ARE in fact supported in the CD Text spec - and I believe Sony actually had an authoring tool for this purpose - however I do not know whether this is still available and where to get it.

Please be aware that many CD Text compatible players do not display characters other than a basic ASCII set though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Yes, that's true. I remember I did a bit of research many years ago when a client asked for putting CD-Text in Chinese. I found out most CD players only displays ASCII characters set. Things might have changed since then.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
ASCII only.

The problem with the CD-TXT spec IMHO is that it's open to interpretation. Meaning you'll never be completely sure what you'll get or how it will look. Stick to ASCII and you should be fine.

Pretty much every player today gets it's data from Gracenote anyway.

Thor
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search