The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dangerous Compressor - New at AES
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Nut
its suppose to ship today from dangerous to retailers. I hope it does i should have mine by wed/thursday
Old 21st February 2014
I never try the obsidian but since i use the Dangerous comp i always do two different version ( i always do that with new tool) one with the gear i know and one with the new piece of gear ( if it suit the music)
I then send it to the client as A and B.
The answers have been 3/4 of the time positive towards the Dangerous, wider master while keeping a strong center image and more natural sounding.
The Dmc make life easier for the last limiting stage, it s so easy to tame down an overdynamic vocalist or anything else with almost no artefact added.
The smart dyn does his magical stuff on percussive track ( even though Gandalf only exist in the movies)
But the versatility of this box while remaining natural is the real s. .t

I didn t try the Fcs yet which seems to be apreciated by a lot of ME, but i did use most of the stuff out there so for now i will stick to the DMC for when i need an transparent unit or a sweet sounding unit.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-p View Post
I never try the obsidian but since i use the Dangerous comp i always do two different version ( i always do that with new tool) one with the gear i know and one with the new piece of gear ( if it suit the music)
I then send it to the client as A and B.
The answers have been 3/4 of the time positive towards the Dangerous, wider master while keeping a strong center image and more natural sounding.
The Dmc make life easier for the last limiting stage, it s so easy to tame down an overdynamic vocalist or anything else with almost no artefact added.
The smart dyn does his magical stuff on percussive track ( even though Gandalf only exist in the movies)
But the versatility of this box while remaining natural is the real s. .t

I didn t try the Fcs yet which seems to be apreciated by a lot of ME, but i did use most of the stuff out there so for now i will stick to the DMC for when i need an transparent unit or a sweet sounding unit.
Thanks Alex for the good info.

May I ask .... what is the other analog compressor that you have been comparing to the Dangerous Compressor, that has been losing out most of the time?

thanks

heh
Old 21st February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Thanks Alex for the good info.

May I ask .... what is the other analog compressor that you have been comparing to the Dangerous Compressor, that has been losing out most of the time?

thanks

heh
Well, here it s about personal taste also ( mine and my clients's taste. )

STC8, Weiss DS1 ( i know it digital but still love as parallele comp and deesser), Ocl2 ( i love the detector, one of the best outthere! Just the slightly narrower image bugs me sometime).
Then i use other box as Api 2500, requisite lm 2 mk3, Trakkers, Varymu, Dmr202, Daking Fet3, but it s different story so cannot compare them so much as i am not trying to do the same stuff with those.

Last edited by alex-p; 21st February 2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbentley View Post
its suppose to ship today from dangerous to retailers. I hope it does i should have mine by wed/thursday
Thanks tbentley
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoe View Post
Thanks tbentley
imma check on monday and see if it shipped, ill post when i found out.
Old 25th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Hey Alex, what is your take on its de-esser?
Old 25th February 2014
Bassfuzz, TBH i didn't used it for this purpose as i found out it's kinda dulling things a bit too much when the sibilance sd is engage.i like more subttle changes.
But for sure it would do good on a mix bus master.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks Alex!
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut
This thing is amazing guys, worth the price.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well... PLEASE elaborate, son! What's ya waitin' for?

Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
So you have it? Quick question...stepped control knobs on Gain, Thershold, Attack and Release?
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOiz View Post
So you have it? Quick question...stepped control knobs on Gain, Thershold, Attack and Release?
The only stepped control is ratio.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Well... PLEASE elaborate, son! What's ya waitin' for?

Its great on the vocals and the 2bus. Its very transparent, it does its job and gets out the way, love the sound.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Its great on the vocals and the 2bus. Its very transparent, it does its job and gets out the way, love the sound.
Did you get it? Congraturation! I love this components.....
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Did you get it? Congraturation! I love this components.....
Its amazing tried on the mixbus with the lowest ratio and about 4 dbs of compression and is really musical
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good to hear. This is exactly why I want to try this comp.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

So anyone popped off the cover and see whats going on under the hood?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
Windows 95.
Old 3rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
ouups forget to do so!

TBH as soon as i knew the unit would stay, it went straight into the console, not so easy to remove to top then....
and, as long as a box sounds as good as that one does, i don't really care about the inside, i will be more willing to check a unit that doesn't perform as i thought.

might move some gear around later on and will take a pics of the inside if that will help someone
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

I've been using the Danger-comp all afternoon, tracking and running mixes through; it sounds great, real smooth and robust, still with enough attitude to get punchy.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm hoping we can get a truly in-depth review of this thing, perhaps a careful comparison against say an STC-8 and 8900 etc, in terms of sonic performance / character, ability, etc.

Old 7th March 2014
well to start with i was never really a fan of the STC8, it seems that most of the time i use it on something i had hard time trying to achieve the right dynamic treatment, somehow when i get it right on some instrument then i would loose too much of something else.
plus it always seemed to me to do a little too much or just not enought.

the detector of the OCL2 (different unit of course ) was much more of my taste
i liked the overall sound of the STC8, liked the stepped pot, liked the limiter section on certain program, but spent too much time puting in and out of the chain without being really satisfied.

on the other hand the Dangerous Comp is very straight forward, the stereo VCA detector is splendid and you can really hear it coming in subttlely, the sound is even more transparent than the STC8 and the resulting width of stereo is impressive (when sometime i felt the stereo got reduced a little too much with the STC8 )

with this magical Smart sync dualslope you can really control the dynamic of most of the percussive elements without the whole mix ducking in every time, resulting in pretty good percieved impact of the kick and other elements while the rest of the mix stay pretty loud (something i had hard to do with the STC8 even by using a complicated side chain)

i used the DM in a lot of different situation and every time i was really suprise of how easy was to do what needed to be done, i particularly love it on guit/voice , piano/voice so smooth and natural, the dynamic can be control while the air remain there,
on complex mix, where a lot of instruments are involved and certain snare or clap are just too loud, this unit solve the situation with class leaving the life and breathe of the rest expecially the voice (same freq same center location), of course this ain't Gandalf reincarnated in a compressor but...
a lot of machine outhere seems to add some mud pretty fast when you push them while this one doesn't as much as others.

i might not be a fan of the bass cut and sibilance boost, that's why i use it most of the time with and external SC .

i have to admit that i also never used it with the auto Attack/release in, but...

the gain alone is pretty interesting as well, very transparent (i never push it to the max TBH), not stepped but i like it that way so really small adustments can be done, although i would have prefer a 0 to 5 db range to make it even more precise, but it would not be suitable for mixing then (maybe)

i have used at the beginning of the chain, at the end, as a gain stagging only, in parallel, as a heavy dynamic processor and as a subttle glueing comp and most of the time i am satisfied with the result.

of course i didn't try like i already mention the FOOTE.

so basycally it's half price compare to the STC8 mastering version with SC cable, and i found it more versatil and more transparent in almost every situation.

BTW the guy in the mixing Studio next to the mastering suite test it a month ago and order it straight away, his unit arrived 4 days ago, and he is pretty happy so far ( he has maybe a dozen comp already....)

this is one opinion and many other people will prefer other processors i am sure (the diversity make this world interesting)

like everything else try to listen to it and decide for yourself, i don't see other way really.
Old 15th September 2014
bee
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear more opinions on this comp. I want to pick up a transparent hardware comp.
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Bee: everything has a sound. Some sound.

And

Plenty of folks love the dangerous comp.

I was not one of them. I found it to be "grabby" no matter how I set it.

Demo it.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

i had 4 comps before it came out,then i've sold them to keep dm21.
now i use it for alot of genre of music and i found it terrific.
i am in love with it.
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I got this equipment on the weekend. Absolutely transparent compressor. It's like a "digital" compressor......I do not feel the distortion at all, the stereo image is not lost, and I will do the beautiful gain reduction. This is a faithful dynamics controller. Sound is not boring in any way. Powerful!

I've sold the RND Portico MBP.

Last edited by antoe; 25th September 2014 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I got this equipment on the weekend. Absolutely transparent compressor. It's like a "digital" compressor......I do not feel the distortion at all, the stereo image is not lost, and I will do the beautiful gain reduction. This is a faithful dynamics controller. Sound is not boring in any way. Powerful!

So why not use a digital compressor?
Just asking, I am still learning, thanks!
Old 25th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
So why not use a digital compressor?
Just asking, I am still learning, thanks!
The way it handles the peaks is smoother with a hardware compressor like the Dangerous than it would be with a plugin . My thoughts .
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

Sir, in what ways the RND MBP wasn't working for you? The RND MBP is a pretty powerful machine, yes? Do you find it softening transients in any way?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search