The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dangerous Compressor - New at AES
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhitmakers View Post
i had the chance to run quite a lot of different project thru the DM compressor and it became one of my first choice quickly!

the box has such a open and smooth sound, the detector is just stunning!
any time i wanted intimacy in a voice while keeping it so natural sounding i used this unit, the same can be said about free dbs, percussive elements don't seem to lose so much impact while doing as much as 2 dbs GR, something i can not say about many other compressor around here!
i had this stuff doing some nice pumping effect too, it seems to had a life in its own.

if you are looking for a box that will give you the glue but will remain open sounding, that's it!

i smooth out many project with it the last two weeks, especially projects with hash voices, when set up right you almost forget the unit is inserted, but then you look at the meters and you've gain a couple dbs or more for free !!!

the side chain monitor is really nice for the one that like to experiment with different EQ, Comp...
the bass cut is more subtle than most other piece of gear, which is ok for some things and not so much for others but then you have the external side chain, so...
the sibilance boost is great on many ITB's mixes or those with too much energy in the hifreq.

the SmartDyn is the stuff i was expecting for long time, no need anymore for two compressor chained, no need for crazy sidechain, even though crazy side chain can be usefull some time ahahah i even turn off the limiter on some occasions.

when i ran the same mix thru different units the first thing that jump at me was the huge stereo field and the bass tight, i could obtain ether of those with other machines but none would do this two while remaining smooth and natural sounding...

i am certainly a bit biased by the fact that i always liked the DM stuff and i was really intrigued by the smartdyn feature since i first test it in Sterling Sound last october, but during those two weeks, i had plenty of time to compare it against some STC8 ME version, Trakkers, API 2500, Pendullum OCL 2, SSl, ... and while every one of those unit have their own charms, the DM compressor does the job with full class, the stereo is not affected as much as with most other unit, the relative dynamic is fully present, the instruments sounds as natural (and even more in many case) as in the mix and best of all, you gain those precious free dbs.

i cannot say for sure much about the final price as i don't know it but i understood it would be under 3000usd, pretty unfair for the competition!!! and certainly something to consider before buying anything else if you are into clean dynamic processor (and not so clean if you wish too)
Thanks for the good thoughts....

I currently use the Obsidian 500 for most mix buss compression.... for a wide variety of music.... but it lacks some of the Dangerous Compressors features.

The Neve Master Buss Processor.... (Portico 2) does a great peak limiting as a part of the compression circuit, but the problem is that it is too fat and colored and thick sounding for many projects.

This is why the Dangerous Compressor (more clean) may be great for me.

Old 27th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Launched in early February.......really?
Old 27th January 2014
not sure when exactly, but soon i guess
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Nut
Dangerous is shipping them out on February 14th.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbentley View Post
Dangerous is shipping them out on February 14th.
Where did you get that information from?
I cannot keep waiting....
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoe View Post
Where did you get that information from?
I cannot keep waiting....
I ask my rep. I will be getting mines around the 20
Old 6th February 2014
you gonna love it!
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Maniac

The options/features kinda reminds me of the white papers on the THAT 4301 chip, which is also the basis of the FCS comp.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/THA..._Datasheet.pdf
Old 6th February 2014
Simply can't wait to hear this. I hope they or somebody does a high quality mastering session video with this thing.
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-p View Post
you gonna love it!
Yep once i heard it, i knew i was gonna wait a couple months before buying a compressor to finish my rig. After this my mastering setup will be done.
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Head

Oh My... Going to try and get my hands on one to test drive.

I think it'll replace my API 2500 quite nicely.
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaezsaespeck View Post

I recommend getting a preorder in for it.
Old 11th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaezsaespeck View Post

this is two different machines!
you will love the DM comp but you may want to keep the API for different purpose
Old 13th February 2014
Like the Charter Oak compressor they are very transparent, can control transients without getting in the way of the music. Dangerous though always does some interesting things to their gear which makes it unique.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

My favorite mix buss compressor is the Obsidian 500.

I usually use it 1.5 : 1

Any chance that any of the beta testers compared the Dangerous Compressor to the Obsidian 500?
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Addict

what do you guys suggest for tracking / mixing / mastering...Dangerous Compressor or Manley Slam?
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut
Just heard it go pushed back to next friday
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm interested in comparison with FCS P3S ME and Dangerous Compressor
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
what do you guys suggest for tracking / mixing / mastering...Dangerous Compressor or Manley Slam?
I think its apple to oranges. Dangerous is gonna be clean very clean and the manley slam is gonna impart a sound to just about anything you run into it. I would defiantly rent on or test drive some audio into it.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think its apple to oranges. Dangerous is gonna be clean very clean and the manley slam is gonna impart a sound to just about anything you run into it. I would defiantly rent on or test drive some audio into it.
thanks
it's a bit surprising since Manley states the Slam as very transparent sounding, at least for the ELOP section...
I don't see myself slamming an acoustic guitar through the FET section of course.
Old 18th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
thanks
it's a bit surprising since Manley states the Slam as very transparent sounding, at least for the ELOP section...
I don't see myself slamming an acoustic guitar through the FET section of course.
it probably could sound clean but that at very light settings, but as soon as those meters move its going to start to add a color.
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
it probably could sound clean but that at very light settings, but as soon as those meters move its going to start to add a color.
Very helpful thanks a lot!
Since we're on the subject, what do you guys think instead of the SSL g bus compressor as a tracking unit (again, acoustic guitars etc)? Could it be feasible ?
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Very helpful thanks a lot!
Since we're on the subject, what do you guys think instead of the SSL g bus compressor as a tracking unit (again, acoustic guitars etc)? Could it be feasible ?
Probably, i would probably invest in a uad card and just use the plugin version. Or get a apollo and you can track with it. I would say the plugin version is about 80% there compared to the hardware. Plus you will save some money.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably, i would probably invest in a uad card and just use the plugin version. Or get a apollo and you can track with it. I would say the plugin version is about 80% there compared to the hardware. Plus you will save some money.
as far as plugins, I already have both Duende and VBC, the latter being obviously better, but I also have a Symphony I/O and I have no intention to give it up for an Apollo
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
as far as plugins, I already have both Duende and VBC, the latter being obviously better, but I also have a Symphony I/O and I have no intention to give it up for an Apollo
Lol i don't blame you. I ask my buddy today about a really good giutar compressor at a great price and he recommends Pigtronix Philosopher Tone Compressor. He says it's sound really good on guitars and it can be clean or really colored. Its pretty darn cheap as well. I would probably cop one and test it from sweetwater.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Can we please get this thread back on track?

and like I said:

My favorite mix buss compressor is the Obsidian 500.

I usually use it 1.5 : 1

Any chance that any of the beta testers compared the Dangerous Compressor to the Obsidian 500?
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Maniac

Well I haven't used the Dangerous but have used the Obsidian (rack version) and clean compressors like the Charter Oak which I would think would be pretty close to the Dangerous with the "riding a fader" type compression. Besides a little of the transformer color the Obsidian imparts a definite "grab" when it compresses, you can definitely hear the compression (I also used it at 1.5:1) where you don't so much hear the compression with the Charter. So I feel its pretty safe bet to assume there will be less color and pretty much invisible compression (1-2db in a mastering setting) when compared to the Obsidian. I would assume pretty much apples and oranges and I wouldn't think one would really replace the other. Hope that helps?
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
Well I haven't used the Dangerous but have used the Obsidian (rack version) and clean compressors like the Charter Oak which I would think would be pretty close to the Dangerous with the "riding a fader" type compression. Besides a little of the transformer color the Obsidian imparts a definite "grab" when it compresses, you can definitely hear the compression (I also used it at 1.5:1) where you don't so much hear the compression with the Charter. So I feel its pretty safe bet to assume there will be less color and pretty much invisible compression (1-2db in a mastering setting) when compared to the Obsidian. I would assume pretty much apples and oranges and I wouldn't think one would really replace the other. Hope that helps?
yeah good thoughts....

I really really like the width and glue the Obsidian provides.... I wonder how the Dangerous Compressor -> Obsidian 500 would sound?

(or Obsidian 500 -> Dangerous Compressor)

to help get RMS levels up..... heh
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Maniac

Probably pretty darn good.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Maniac

It has not been put on the market yet? Around February 20?
ummmmmm
I can't Wait!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search