The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio CD Burner
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Audio CD Burner

hi!
so, after a few years it seems that the internal pioneer super drive from my apple mac pro 2008 is dead.
for that reason i'm looking for a new external cd-dvd drive (usb2, fw400-800) to burn red book cds.
i saw some usb2 bus powered drives from samsung and one lacie.
are they good enough for burning master cds???
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

These days most drives that support burning of ISRC codes, UPC codes and CD Text should work. However the only way to know for sure that you're burning good discs (low C1 rate, no C2's and no CU's) is to get a Plextor drive that supports PlexTools to error check every Master CD you burn. Without running an error check you are just hoping that the CD is within spec for replication/duplication. Even the best drives and most reliable blank media will have the occasional bad burn resulting in a C2 error, CU error or an overly high C1 rate. This will cause your disc to be rejected by any plant that is doing its job correctly.

I just use whatever drive is in my Mac Pro, a Pioneer I think. I then error check every Master CD with a Plextor PX-716UF external drive running PlexTools in Windows XP via Bootcamp on my Macbook. The Pioneer works great. Probably 1 in every 35 burns I get a C2 error though. So then I toss the disc and re-burn.

Error checking is very important. Last thing you want to do is send a disc with a C2 or CU off to a plant and either A) The plant rejects the disc causing a delay in the manufacturing process, or B) The plant does not perform its job properly, replicates/duplicates the disc with the error and the client is stuck with several hundred or thousands of CD's with an audible glitch. Neither outcome makes you look very good to the client. Only way to avoid this with complete accuracy is to error check in PlexTools and then include the printed error report with the Master CD showing it left your studio meeting specs.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
These days most drives that support burning of ISRC codes, UPC codes and CD Text should work. However the only way to know for sure that you're burning good discs (low C1 rate, no C2's and no CU's) is to get a Plextor drive that supports PlexTools to error check every Master CD you burn. Without running an error check you are just hoping that the CD is within spec for replication/duplication. Even the best drives and most reliable blank media will have the occasional bad burn resulting in a C2 error, CU error or an overly high C1 rate. This will cause your disc to be rejected by any plant that is doing its job correctly.

I just use whatever drive is in my Mac Pro, a Pioneer I think. I then error check every Master CD with a Plextor PX-716UF external drive running PlexTools in Windows XP via Bootcamp on my Macbook. The Pioneer works great. Probably 1 in every 35 burns I get a C2 error though. So then I toss the disc and re-burn.

Error checking is very important. Last thing you want to do is send a disc with a C2 or CU off to a plant and either A) The plant rejects the disc causing a delay in the manufacturing process, or B) The plant does not perform its job properly, replicates/duplicates the disc with the error and the client is stuck with several hundred or thousands of CD's with an audible glitch. Neither outcome makes you look very good to the client. Only way to avoid this with complete accuracy is to error check in PlexTools and then include the printed error report with the Master CD showing it left your studio meeting specs.
thank you very much for the info.
is there another app like plextool out there to "testdrive" the master disc?!?
is the plextool app freeware?!
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted 691ca21
And there lies the rub. Plextools is free, but will only work with a Plextor drive, and more than that, it has to be the right type of Plextor drive, (most of which are now out of production). Opti Drive Control works correctly with SOME other maker's drives, but it's basically a minefield out there! The days of accurately checking a self burned master CD are numbered. I always recommend DDP instead these days, most plants will accept it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search