The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
please help.. at a loss - digital pops...
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear
Turning off Hyperthreading with xcode is no big deal -- easy stuff

Logic Pro Help • View topic - turning off hyperthreading from os x (lion and mountain lion

you never know...

Pound Ridge used to be quite the Hippie hang out --
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
FF800s are solid, dependable boxes.
I'm 99.44% convinced it's a driver issue with the other two boxes caused by updates from Apple in the new puters/OS.

Updating firmware in the audio device hardware likely won't solve the problem when you say they currently work at 48K but not at 44k Fs. That strikes me as a communication issue between the device and the computer and that's the device driver's responsibility to work with the OS.

Apple has been seriously toying around with their OS recently and that has affected several manufacturers that I'm aware of in a big way. The OS changes are part of a larger Apple marketing strategy and this problem with some audio device doesn't even get on the radar to them. Apple moves the goalposts for the 3rd party developers constantly and just did it again with Maverick. The device makers will have to adapt to Apple, and not the other way around.

At least with the RME you are back safely at cruising altitude & speed.

Reliability is a wonderful thing you don't notice until it's not there.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
Workstation grade pc and mac pro are generally are certified to work with more configurations than the consumer products. Because developers depend on demanding, complicated set ups.
Complicated? Not necessarily. These aren't complicated setups at all. In this case it's a soundcard connected by a USB cable to a computer. No Big Deal.

Certified configurations? It helps, particularly from the 3rd party vendors.

Firewire users suffered with Apple choosing Agere chips instead of TI. I'm sure Apple saved a few pennies on each motherboard chip. Users had to buy TI FW cards to drop in their machine slots to make them work with finicky outboard devices. The results of that debacle are still spoken of today.

Specifying a system takes into account, or should, the fact that all the components are known and tested to work together.
3rd party Manufacturers often specify known computer configurations and won't guarantee results with unknown set-ups.

Choosing a new computer design and OS is almost always asking for problems simply because they are new and untested. Some things may get sorted out over time as the 3rd party developers adapt but it does take time to figure out new issues.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

just as an fyi, it didn't reliably work at 48 either... it did once, but that was it.

today i sent the Orion back to sweetwater and purchased a 2nd FF800. i'm done with the struggles, but i'm going to keep an eye out on the continuing story if there is ever a resolution and fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
I'm 99.44% convinced it's a driver issue with the other two boxes caused by updates from Apple in the new puters/OS.

Updating firmware in the audio device hardware likely won't solve the problem when you say they currently work at 48K but not at 44k Fs. That strikes me as a communication issue between the device and the computer and that's the device driver's responsibility to work with the OS.

Apple has been seriously toying around with their OS recently and that has affected several manufacturers that I'm aware of in a big way. The OS changes are part of a larger Apple marketing strategy and this problem with some audio device doesn't even get on the radar to them. Apple moves the goalposts for the 3rd party developers constantly and just did it again with Maverick. The device makers will have to adapt to Apple, and not the other way around.

At least with the RME you are back safely at cruising altitude & speed.

Reliability is a wonderful thing you don't notice until it's not there.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
Complicated? Not necessarily. These aren't complicated setups at all. In this case it's a soundcard connected by a USB cable to a computer. No Big Deal.

Certified configurations? It helps, particularly from the 3rd party vendors.

Firewire users suffered with Apple choosing Agere chips instead of TI. I'm sure Apple saved a few pennies on each motherboard chip. Users had to buy TI FW cards to drop in their machine slots to make them work with finicky outboard devices. The results of that debacle are still spoken of today.

Specifying a system takes into account, or should, the fact that all the components are known and tested to work together.
3rd party Manufacturers often specify known computer configurations and won't guarantee results with unknown set-ups.

Choosing a new computer design and OS is almost always asking for problems simply because they are new and untested. Some things may get sorted out over time as the 3rd party developers adapt but it does take time to figure out new issues.
True!! apple just wanted to save money and most of there customers will never know or care.

My comment about certified for "complicated set ups" was not directed towards the audio industry specifically. most recording studio computers are straight forward.

My comment was about the workstation series boards. they are developed for demanding users that may possibly use them with unusual set ups. Witch is manly for 3d map/ modeling, cad, or HD video capturing customers. filing every slot with different brand hardware that may not play nice together on a consumer grade board. or 4 high end video cards chewing up 1300watts.

Workstation boards have extensive driver certifications and are generally built to be more reliable.

The undertone of my post was, using a gaming or workstation grade computer is playing it safe. using a consumer grade computer built for home use is risky for professionals that rely on there computers to make an income.

@ op.... if you prefer the apple os , Get the pro..
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
just FYI. the latest pop craze.
Just finishing up that Katz book. One thing that sticks out in my mind was his mentioning of clock sync issues and noises. The pops in your latest example seem pretty regular.

Also: Avid Pro Audio Community Press "Skip" to bypass the TapaTalk ad if it appears.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search