The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High End Cables
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

High End Cables

hello!

i own a metric halo uln-8 and use it along with a pair of kh o410.
are there any special "super" cables out for a clean and transparent sound.

or in other words: is there a "high end" standard cable to connect a soundcard with active monitors???

thanks!!!
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
sure...if you like throwing your money away

you'll be fine with anything decent like mogami, canare, gotham, etc. if you want to get fancy you can check out vovox. but those transparent cables are a complete waste. and you'd have to be a freakin millionaire to afford them in the first place.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I can highly recommend Grimm audio TPR cables.
About 5 bucks for 1 meter.
Old 15th October 2013
Redco dot com. Either Canare/Neutrik or Redco/Neutrik or Gotham/Neutrik. Done.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

thank you all!

at the moment i use vovox cables - but i think they are not shielded. so, i can hear every single start up noize from the freezer, boiler and also old neon lights

last week i spend 500 hundred bucks for a furmann without any changes.

today i replaced the vovox cables with cheap cables. and voila: no electric bull**** from the kitchen

i noticed this issues only with the uln-8 card.
before i used a motu 828mk2 and then an ua apollo without any strange noises.
so, now i'm looking for new good cables.

one question:
how different could cables sound???
the distance between the uln-8 and the speakers is around 4 meters.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbraglia View Post
sure...if you like throwing your money away

you'll be fine with anything decent like mogami, canare, gotham, etc. if you want to get fancy you can check out vovox. but those transparent cables are a complete waste. and you'd have to be a freakin millionaire to afford them in the first place.

Bob Ludwig uses these cables.
I do not think that he is a freak))))
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTime View Post
is he using them as speaker cable or as converter-to-activespeaker cables. i think this are two difference worlds.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTime View Post
its marketing. just like how celebrities get all sorts of free stuff. so that all us normal folk see it and say "well if so-and-so uses such-and-such product, it MUST be great!"
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

ok - any experiences on "how different" could cables sound.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
hello!

i own a metric halo uln-8 and use it along with a pair of kh o410.
are there any special "super" cables out for a clean and transparent sound.

or in other words: is there a "high end" standard cable to connect a soundcard with active monitors???

thanks!!!
VanDamme will do the job nicely.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

all companies who sell audiophile power cables are charlatans, ignore them.

from the other companies the one's with solid connectors, oxygene free cables and good flexibility are nearly all ok.
i prefer cables who grant the "deutsche rundfunknorm"
m-t-i are very good build and not expensive, you can get them here:
Digital Audio Service GmbH KABELSHOP - prof. AV-Anschlusstechnik - Digital Audio Service
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Zownd : I can highly recommend Grimm audio TPR cables.
About 5 bucks for 1 meter.
I second that - very good ratio price/quality
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use mogami and am happy. There's a YouTube interview with Greg Calibri who says he auditions two types of cables for different projects just like he auditions different gear for each project. I haven't gotten to that point yet, gulp.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have both Vovox and Mogami cables and am very happy with them. I like to use the Vovox cables with the analog processing gear, as they have a slightly airy sound to them. The Mogami cables are connected to my active monitors, which creates a detailed yet down-to-earth kind of a sound. I have no idea whether any of that makes sense, but that's what my ears suggested during various blind tests. Either way, you will find both brands being used in countless studios around the world.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

thanks to all!!!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
thank you all!

at the moment i use vovox cables - but i think they are not shielded. so, i can hear every single start up noize from the freezer, boiler and also old neon lights

last week i spend 500 hundred bucks for a furmann without any changes.

today i replaced the vovox cables with cheap cables. and voila: no electric bull**** from the kitchen

i noticed this issues only with the uln-8 card.
before i used a motu 828mk2 and then an ua apollo without any strange noises.
so, now i'm looking for new good cables.

one question:
how different could cables sound???
the distance between the uln-8 and the speakers is around 4 meters.
If the cable is balanced then shielding shouldn't be an issue. Even cheap balanced cable. Something else is not right....maybe you have an earth or shield incorrectly connected.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just make sure you get first grade speaker cable pebbles with them.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
VanDamme will do the job nicely.
I have them too. They're just good quality wire and, good quality connectors and good workmanship. Nothing special. The price is fair. And they're in Abbey Road if it counts for you
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
is he using them as speaker cable or as converter-to-activespeaker cables. i think this are two difference worlds.
His complete studio is wired this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Just make sure you get first grade speaker cable pebbles with them.
I'm sure he has these as well as the Dave Collins endorsed fluglebinders!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
I have them too. They're just good quality wire and, good quality connectors and good workmanship. Nothing special. The price is fair. And they're in Abbey Road if it counts for you
We have gone entirely from mogami to vandamme here. They are as good as anything out there. They also coil well and have low microphonics. The latter is something many seem to disregard. It comes into play with soft stagefloors and loud performances.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
If the cable is balanced then shielding shouldn't be an issue. Even cheap balanced cable. Something else is not right....maybe you have an earth or shield incorrectly connected.
Not all shields are created equally. This is quantifiable.
Also, if shielding would not be an issue in balanced connections, then by the same conjecture, a shield would be surperfluous. In other words shields not mattering is a fallacy.
Old 17th October 2013
In the process of switching from Mogami to TPR. Great imaging / phantom center and frequency response is very balanced. Great price as well. Killed the Mogami. Haven't tried VanDamme.

Tried Vovox for about 10 seconds once.... ouch. Simply way too bright.
Old 17th October 2013
hi

i rewire my old studio with George Cardas interconnect,
if i had to do it again i wouldn't think twice, i ll do it.

the golden reference, in between digital device and golden ref between da and amp
and jp-labs between amp and speakers
slowly i was doing the console too with golden ref,

it did make a difference, i don't say a big difference (specially if you look at the price)
but it did make a difference, maybe as much as two different converters

ask a hi-fidelity dealer to let you try some of those and see by yourself.

ask people like Stan Ricker about Cardas interconnect.

best

Alex
Home
Old 17th October 2013
forget to add that the rest of the console was with canare quad,

really a good relation quality/price
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbraglia View Post
its marketing. just like how celebrities get all sorts of free stuff. so that all us normal folk see it and say "well if so-and-so uses such-and-such product, it MUST be great!"
Jack have you personally A/B'd these cables in question?
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Jack have you personally A/B'd these cables in question?
I have not. And if I were here speaking of the quality of the cable, that would be wrong of me. But I'm not. I'm referring only to the price. it is VASTLY disproportionate. No speaker cable in the world is worth $35,000. No XLR cable is worth $20,000. Its complete insanity. I mean, here's a company that sells USB cables for $600.....seriously?? I call bull****. Its just more audiophile mumbo jumbo
Old 17th October 2013
not all the good cable are worth $20.000
some good one are less than $100 some around $200, and they do make a difference
compare to mogami, canare, vovox, don't get me wrong, i am not talking about night and day differences, but once you go that way everything become more focus, more sweet or more defined depending on which brand and type of interconnect you are using.

it doesn't hurt instead of going to a nice restaurant, to buy a good pair of interconnets,
in very short time your console has new interconnect, ok it's depending on how many time you go to nice restaurant, hehehe
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

IME, cables can make a strangely big difference; and there are some extraordinarily good sounding cable that aren't thousands of dollars, and in fact, can be better than most of the megabuck cables.

For workhorse studio cables I use Cardas 2x24 twinaxial that was made for Bernie Grundman. It's not the best stuff I have but it's easier to work with than the Mapleshade/InSound premium cable that I use in the playback chain that doesn't move.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I like and use Vovox. I like the fact that they're not shielded, that they're very well built and my overall experience with them has been great. By that alone they're worth buying.

With line levels the Vovox seems pretty equal to most quality cables out there, but I remember when I bought a Brauner microphone on my recording days, which was sold with a Vovox cable, and running the microphone with it sounded very different when compared to using the mic with a standard cable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search