The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question about credits on a compilation
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Question about credits on a compilation

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be "mastering" a compilation CD soon (just track order, level, and eq to make everything cohesive).

This CD will be a fundraiser for charity, and all of the tracks were "donated" by the artists, but this is the first time I (or the small startup label that's putting out the cd) have ever screwed around with a compilation.

We want to be sure to give credit where credit is due as a lot of the tracks have been previously released, but also don't want to have to include an entire book of credits with the CD.

Who all should have credit given in the liner notes?

Legally, what information are we required to include to avoid any issues?

All I'm doing is deciding the track order and making the compilation sound like it's supposed to; how do I list what I'm doing in the credits?

Is there anything else I need to know about the licensing of the tracks/album to avoid any potential headaches?

I apologize for all of the dumb questions, but like I said, this is a first for everyone involved.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Legally, you just need permission from the artists. If they require that you list credits, there you go. If not, I'd include links to their websites or what not just for the helluvit.

"Compilation mastered by:" would be a nice way to put things. That makes it ambiguously clear (see what I did there...?) that the tracks may or may not have been mastered before but doesn't take anything away if they were. Or not.
Old 15th October 2013
Motown legend

Verified Member
Legally none unless some of the master owners have requirements in their contracts with the artists or unions involved.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome, thanks guys! :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-LS970
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search