The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia Museq EQ plugin (Brainworx)
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Elysia Museq EQ plugin (Brainworx)

Anyone demo'd it? I'm having a little fiddle during upload time today..

So far, very very smooth. Done a little bass boost on the M, air boost on the S, sounding very transparent indeed.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on how this compares to the SPL Passeq?
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A lot less blurry so far.

Couldn't get on with the Passeq emulation they did, found 0.5 of a dB made unpredictable things happen at certain points, was well up for grabbing it at 99 dollars, then changed my mind after demo-ing.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Its good on the highs/mids but the bass cuts/filter blurs and ripples the subs.

EQuilibrium is still the clear winner for me.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Too expensive IMO......compare to the price of FabFilter or U-he Satin, which are of equal quality.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've tried this briefly yesterday and I liked it! As plugins equalisers go this seems so be pretty good, don't really care if it is a perfect emulation or not.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
I've tried this briefly yesterday and I liked it! As plugins equalisers go this seems so be pretty good, don't really care if it is a perfect emulation or not.
Totally agree. By the way, I am still using your easy-on-the-eyes Reaper theme (That IS you, right?)
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Totally agree. By the way, I am still using your easy-on-the-eyes Reaper theme (That IS you, right?)
Yes, that's me! I'm glad you like it
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Next to hardware it still sounds -yawn- also trying to read the interface a few meters away on a 55" LED TV isn't easy.

EQuilibrium does have some ok models (Sontec 250/API), altough the Pultec one sucks a$$ & I agree it beats the Brainworx MuseEQ easily but it's clunky to use even on a hexacore beast & still misses the harmonics & depth of the real hardware.
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Had a bit of a real life run for it, tried to do what I wanted to do with my Sontec MEP250 custom build, was like "pretty good..let's try the Sontec" then closed of the plugin.

Gonna give it more of a run tonight, but not currently massively convinced it's a purchase to me. Looking forward to trying the Millenia EQ plugin soon mind and comparing results.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear
$29 now
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

I tried it a few years ago a couple of times, it didn't find the way in my toolbox.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
tempted at that price, wasn't convinced previously as this thread reminds me!
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If it's as good/accurate as the Nvelope plugin then I'll burn my money, form the ash in to some sort of paint, and use it to daub 'WTF' on a large sign that I'll hang outside the Brainworx offices.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The GUI alone feels completely unusable for me.
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

I used this on some mixes a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly I kind of only used it to beef up the low end with the resonant LF.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

I think, it's one of good sounding native EQ plugins IMO.
It's one of handful plugs, which can simulate EQ dependent harmonic distortions (like TDR Slick EQs, PSP E27 or some of Slate's EQ modules to VMR). With that I mean distortion per operational band is proportional to gain change there. So if you boost for instance, it won't affect just magnitude and phase response, but adds also kind of harmonic "sweetening" there. So its closer to the behavior of active analog EQ in that regard.
Most of other EQ plugins are trying to simulate typically only static input or output stage harmonic distortions.

Whether that's preferred or makes plugins more useful for someone, is of course subjective thing.
I can see, when someone has three fancy hardware EQs, then some clean plugin with surgical capabilities might be preferred to complement that.

Honestly, what I didn't like so much with Museq, when I tried it, is its operation which tries to resemble its hardware version. I can see the reasons for that, but in many cases, usability of those hardware inspired plugins rather hurts. So there are per-band switches for either positive or negative gain and another knob for amount. It makes sense at hardware, where it reflects design and construction of a piece and you have front panel tactile controls, but at plugin it's just unnecessary complication.

Generally maybe it's just me, but I personally find all those "obstructive" things, which forces you to pixel-hunting, as really annoying.
For example fixed ranges and steps, or graphic design, which loosely resembles original device are fine.. In the first case, preset values, steps, non-overlapping ranges can lead to faster decisions and if its' well thought, it can be helpful.. Graphics like original device (eg. color, knob layout) somewhat subconsciously works for me as well, because it will allow one to assign certain character and workflow to particular visual look. But for instance concentric knobs in plugins are hell to operate for me I always dislike that at API and Neve like plugins for example.

Michal
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
The GUI alone feels completely unusable for me.
and it's not just this EQ. many Plugin Alliance's stuff is just ridiculous when it comes to the GUI. Why on earth are they're insisting on copying the hardware's faceplate exactly? I understand this practice when it comes to on man operation small plugin Co's - many of those basically sell pretty GUIs with text book algos to impress the bedroom engineer but at Plugin Alliance's level I just don't get it. Just try and use the Millennia emus, bot the comp and the EQ. ridiculous. I just gave up even before I could dial in something useful soundwise. not interested in plugin companies where the graphic design is more important than the actual sound. it's way too obvious why.
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
If it's as good/accurate as the Nvelope plugin then I'll burn my money, form the ash in to some sort of paint, and use it to daub 'WTF' on a large sign that I'll hang outside the Brainworx offices.
I'm guessing you've meant "good/accurate"
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
I'm guessing you've meant "good/accurate"
The quotation marks were implied
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
and it's not just this EQ. many Plugin Alliance's stuff is just ridiculous when it comes to the GUI. Why on earth are they're insisting on copying the hardware's faceplate exactly? I understand this practice when it comes to on man operation small plugin Co's - many of those basically sell pretty GUIs with text book algos to impress the bedroom engineer but at Plugin Alliance's level I just don't get it. Just try and use the Millennia emus, bot the comp and the EQ. ridiculous. I just gave up even before I could dial in something useful soundwise. not interested in plugin companies where the graphic design is more important than the actual sound. it's way too obvious why.
Exactly. A reason I never would consider buying their stuff. So many possibilities with digital tools these days, and most stuff is still cheap copys of analog hardware....
Imho their plug ins are mainly focussed on people who love the hardware (mostly the look and image of it), but can not or do not want to afford it. To me it feels a bit of a silly game, but thats how the mainstream market works I think. I assume they do pretty good money with these stuff...
If the Museq plug in is really that good, it for sure would deserves a proper GUI to make it an usuable tool (and even the Brainworx guys are aware of this I bet). But the decisions go with a kind of photorealistic, but in fact unusable GUI clearly shows thats it not about selling a proper tool, but just about selling an cool image.

Last edited by JP__; 23rd November 2017 at 05:50 PM..
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
The quotation marks were implied
just checking
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Exactly. A reason I never would consider buying their stuff. So many possibilities with digital tools these days, and most stuff is still cheap copys of analog hardware....
Imho their plug ins are mainly focussed on people who love the hardware (mostly the look and image of it), but can not or do not want to afford it. To me it feels a bit of a silly game, but thats how the mainstream market works I think. I assume they do pretty good money with these stuff...
If the Museq plug in is really that good, it for sure would deserves a proper GUI to make it an usuable tool (and even the Brainworx guys are aware of this I bet). But the decisions go with a kind of photorealistic, but in fact unusable GUI clearly shows thats it not about selling a proper tool, but just about selling an cool image.
Their prices are ridiculous too, especially considering the value in daily work.
I think the latest sale just shows their real value....
agreed. and in all honesty, I'm a bit reluctant or dare I say ashamed to bring up on screen, in a session. any plug that has a photo-realistic GUI. they give me and the client a toyish feel.
but because we should be open minded and sound is all that matters in the end, just as an exercise, name one serious-good sounding plugin that has a photorealistic GUI true to the hardware. (don't say UAD, can't tell, never used it )
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
FWIW I flippin love their Elysia Alpha and am constantly surprised by its quality.

Also the MAAG one is pretty wicked.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
FWIW I flippin love their Elysia Alpha and am constantly surprised by its quality.

Also the MAAG one is pretty wicked.
Fair do's - as you may have seen on FB I was genuinely absolutely gobsmacked at the Nvelope plugin. It bears absolutely zero relation to the hardware I know so well. Not even the same thing, as in.... what? I swear they put the wrong GUI on the wrong code. Just weird.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search