The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Album release on floppy disks. Format question.
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Head

Album release on floppy disks. Format question.

Hi fellow slutz and greetings here from Denmark

I am planning to do a future release on old floppy disks and I want to release the album in a very, very poor file format. Any ideas?

What was the first audio formats for windows? I guess those most be really bad...

All kinds of crazy suggestions are most welcome!

Sendt fra min ST27i med Tapatalk
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKNNRP View Post
I am planning to do a future release on old floppy disks and I want to release the album in a very, very poor file format. Any ideas?
<insert hipster joke here>
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

What was the first audio formats for windows? I guess those most be really bad...

More seriously: Well, you have 1.44 MB. You won't fit much audio on there, even with the most ludicrously compressed format. What is your release's playing time?
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

go 8-bit!
Old 14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
go 8-bit!
8 bit instead of 16 = 350Mb instead of 700.

8bit 8000kHz = 63mB. 30 if in FLAC.

Maybe you can get away with a really crappy mp3... but I'd really go MIDI.

Or of course you can use a floppy as a general magnetic storage (like a tape) instead of the traditional usage.
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Whatever drugs you´re taking.....stop.

( or maybe if you´re on a prescription, follow it )

WT
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
How about a 5 1?4-inch floppy disk? They can be used 2-sided, so you could always use two floppys for side A, B, C, and D?

You would need to compress the heck out of the material though.

Or do it the real oldschool way - sample your music into chunks and re-compile them in your favorite tracker.
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Years ago I worked on a project that involved storing a bunch of crude oil underground in case of a national emergency.

It wasn't until a national emergency existed that it became common knowledge that no means of getting the oil back out of the ground had ever even been designed, much less built.

I trust the reason why I posted this message on this thread is immediately obvious...
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member

Not that RealAudio and others didn't have their way long before MP3 was ever heard of...
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Use a cheap worn out tap machine, and slam it.. then release it on cassette tape.

Also you should invest some time into looking at the basics of file distribution media. there is a reason why tape has not been used with computers in a very long time.

Quote:
obsolete, nobody will be able to play it back.

Honestly you need to just creatively make a bad recording, find a engineer that understands your vision.
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
This is as of today my favorite, ever, g.s. thread. Why not take it waaaay way back and release it via smoke signal? Or Morse code / telegraph if you don't want it to seem too dated.

Kudos to the o.p. though, I mean if "analog, toob warmth / lo-fi / cassette" is all the rage, shouldn't whatever pre-dates that be even better?!?
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
Also you should invest some time into looking at the basics of file distribution media. there is a reason why tape has not been used with computers in a very long time.
Tape is still used on a huge scale with computers for backup and archiving. But an LTO-6 cartridge (native capacity: 2.5TB) doesn't really have much in common with the cassettes you'd get C64 games on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
obsolete, nobody will be able to play it back.
Actually, the WAV format is pretty much the same as when Windows first supported sound, and a WAV file that worked then will work just as well today. 1.44MB won't store much in any WAV format though.

Maybe this guy had the neatest idea for creative lo-fi distribution:

Tristan Perich: 1-Bit Symphony
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Nut

Seriously, though midi files would work. OR, if you're really serious about the floppy disc, you can release blank / erased / whatever, old floppies with your new artwork affixed, along with a digital download code. Because no one is going to be able to extract whatever truncated music data you manage to get on an old floppy disc anyways.
Old 15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Nut

8-track cartridges would be a great medium of choice if you're looking for an obscure format that would actually be playable. My first car was a '77 mercury monarch that had a 8 track player. Since I couldn't afford a new stereo for it I bought a 8track deck that would record at goodwill for $5 or something and proceeded to record Beastie Boys and Cypress Hill 8 tracks to listen to while I was driving. Surely you could find one these days, along with some old cartridges that you could record over....
Old 15th September 2013
I believe early versions of the real audio codec are free (for generating content, not just listening). Very lofi but also small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

You've all been trolled!
Old 15th September 2013
Who here on this thread has a floppy disc reader?
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronmaster View Post
Who here on this [/thread] has a floppy disc reader?
FTFY
Old 15th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
You've all been trolled!
Clearly not a Troll. And its sooo 2000 & late to call random people trollsfor asking obscure questions.

Back when I was just a little scrub my very recording was on a cassette tape from an old broken down yahmaha board just a couple mics for drums and vocals and di'd the guitars. I was young and belived that analog was better then digital in everyway and recording to aany tape would get that sound. I cant believe people still say **** like that, its such a newbie trap. It actually worked out really well as the band had that black metal background, as did I. I ended up with a real good grasp of corpse like tones and delt with the fact that I needed to know a lot more about recording.

But the thing that killed the album was the format, we just kept recording the thing to new tapes. Everyone ended up getting them at shows and threw friends, but only two people listened to it because no one owns freakin tape machines.

If your set on doing this I would stick to midi and buy a bunch of usb floppy drives to sell the thing in so people can actually listen.

Sent from my HS-9DTB4
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronmaster View Post
Who here on this thread has a floppy disc reader?
I still have an old IBM PS2 computer (NOT the gaming thang).

It has a floppy drive that'll actually read/write 2.88 megs to/from any regular double-sided/double-density floppy. (The only drive ever made that would do so.)

..."Compress a drive" with the windows utility, and that'll give ya a little over 5 megs in the real world.

...Just sayin'...
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Nut

Could you throttle the bitrate, compress the hell out of it, and maybe release it double speed and have the listener pitch it down to get more length out of the limited space?
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabies View Post
Tape is still used on a huge scale with computers for backup and archiving. But an LTO-6 cartridge (native capacity: 2.5TB) doesn't really have much in common with the cassettes you'd get C64 games on.

Actually, the WAV format is pretty much the same as when Windows first supported sound, and a WAV file that worked then will work just as well today. 1.44MB won't store much in any WAV format though.

Maybe this guy had the neatest idea for creative lo-fi distribution:

Tristan Perich: 1-Bit Symphony

True, but this is trivial information. Its interesting yes, But potential buyers will not have the means to use expensive industrial large format tape machines.

Its fact that wav format has been around for a very long time yes, but play back at sample rates below 8-4 are pretty much unusable. At the time wav was created they did not have the storage necessary for it to be used by the mass market at usable sample rates, of course that changed with time.

If the op is looking for a new hip obscure file distribution media, there will be a limited market and massive downfalls. even 8 track is almost impossible to find.
Old 15th September 2013
Gear nut

i've always thought it'd be cool to release records on USB drives, the low capacity ones are cheap enough now that it's realistic. Like attach it to a business card with a keyring or something and give em out at shows
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
How about a 5 1?4-inch floppy disk? They can be used 2-sided, so you could always use two floppys for side A, B, C, and D?

You would need to compress the heck out of the material though.

Or do it the real oldschool way - sample your music into chunks and re-compile them in your favorite tracker.
You only just reminded me those existed, I was at school at the time and that thing was like a server for some BBC Micro's as they were called. I think each computer connected to that one drive across the "network" to load a program.

Brings back some memories using this on my ATARI 1040 STE, just before using Cubase:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-at...ter_21557.html
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

A Floppy disk is too hi-tech. Switch to mono 8 bit 8 KHz fs data stored on a 90' audio cassette.
Old 15th September 2013
Quote:
Actually, a few artists have been going the cylinder route: Andrew Liles' "Importunate Suggestion of Impropriety" came out in 2010. It sold out very quickly if I remember correctly...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search