The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
does make up gain generally attempt to make up for the G reduction?
Old 17th September 2006

does make up gain generally attempt to make up for the G reduction?

I know there arent any hard and fast rules but sometimes I wonder if there aint some accepted practices. I was going through a mastering with waves tutorial.

A kick drum had been eq'd and compressed and the makeup gain was set to get level before compression. Is this a general practise?

thanks
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes. And no. You just use it to set it to whatever level it needs. Might be to make up for the GR, might be more, might be less.

If an "A/B" situation is in order, then make-up = to GR is a nice way to get an idea of the difference in the sound...
Old 17th September 2006

Thanks John,

Go to sleep! haha. LOL

yeah i think im gonna go with that A/B thing to compare for starters then adjust.
Old 17th September 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtwins View Post
I know there arent any hard and fast rules but sometimes I wonder if there aint some accepted practices. I was going through a mastering with waves tutorial.

A kick drum had been eq'd and compressed and the makeup gain was set to get level before compression. Is this a general practise?

thanks

Gain makeup is just a fancy word for gain. That's all it is. Having a gain control within the compressor is often just a convenience. You can "make up" the gain within the compressor or after the compressor or NEVER, depending on the gain structure of the chain or system you are working in. In my system, the analog compressor precedes an A/D converter since 9 times out of 10 I'm playing back a digital source. Unless I'm purposely trying to clip the A/D converter, I don't care if the signal from the compressor hits the A/D at -1 dBFS peak or somewhat lower. I'll make it up later in the digital chain without audibly affecting the signal to noise ratio.

So, the main usefulness of the gain makeup control? It's to help you evaluate the sound quality of the compressor when you hit its bypasss button. If you adjust the gain makeup control for the same subjective loudness when in bypass you can (fairly objectively) evaluate the effect of the compressor.

BK
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
So, the main usefulness of the gain makeup control? It's to help you evaluate the sound quality of the compressor when you hit its bypasss button. If you adjust the gain makeup control for the same subjective loudness when in bypass you can (fairly objectively) evaluate the effect of the compressor.

BK
This is something I'm doing alot. But I've been wondering lately if I should adjust for peak level, rms level or just for what's sounds the same?

Sorry crabtwins, I hope I didn't hijack your thread but I had to ask...

/Cojo
Old 17th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
This is something I'm doing alot. But I've been wondering lately if I should adjust for peak level, rms level or just for what's sounds the same?

/Cojo
Im here to learn. Hijacked or not.
Old 17th September 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post

/Cojo
You're not hijacking, Cojo, but you're not listening :-). The whole purpose of the gain makeup knob is for the listening. You could sit there all day long and adjust the gain makeup by any meter, but learn nothing at all. Because neither RMS nor peak will tell you what "sounds the same." There are too many variables and the ear is the judge.

The initial setting for the gain makeup should be unity gain when the compressor is not compressing. That you can (and should) adjust with a meter and a test tone. But notice that the output goes down as soon as the compressor kicks in. Should you then "make up"? Not required, unless you want to compare with the ear.

BK
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
You're not hijacking, Cojo, but you're not listening :-). The whole purpose of the gain makeup knob is for the listening. You could sit there all day long and adjust the gain makeup by any meter, but learn nothing at all. Because neither RMS nor peak will tell you what "sounds the same." There are too many variables and the ear is the judge.

The initial setting for the gain makeup should be unity gain when the compressor is not compressing. That you can (and should) adjust with a meter and a test tone. But notice that the output goes down as soon as the compressor kicks in. Should you then "make up"? Not required, unless you want to compare with the ear.

BK
I'm listening now! heh

I've probably done it the way you said I would all the time, just not knowing about it. Thanks for taking the time with us!

/Cojo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search