The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for A/B music player (for before/after comparisons) Monitor Controllers
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Looking for A/B music player (for before/after comparisons)

Hi all. I'm not sure what to look for, so I'm very stuck finding what I want. Here is what I'd like: (I've seen it before, but I can't remember where, and it was a flash player (something I'd like to stay away from).

Basically you load up a pre-master version of a song, and a mastered version, sample-locked. It caches *both* files, and starts to play the first one (the unmastered). Then, you can click it, and it will switch to the mastered version (interpolated, of course). It's a GREAT way to show people the difference, and I really quite enjoyed the page I saw it on for really evaluating the difference. Does anybody know where I can find such a thing? Thanks, guys!

-Joel
Old 11th July 2013
why not just load the tracks into your DAW? seems to me like it would take the same amount of time.
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Addict

foobar2000 will do this very simply - in fact it does ABX, but you can just use the AB part of that.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

i hate those non-interpolated masters. they never sound right.
Old 11th July 2013
Why not open it in your DAW. Have a look at this:

Magic AB - Sample Magic

It can load up to 8 tracks that you can youse for A/B comparison. Also it works like a VST, simply pop it on a channel in your DAW and load up your reference tracks. Also you can set loop or cue points I think.

Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I second Foobar2000 with the ABX component, very easy to set up and use. In a DAW it's much more difficult to do it "blind".
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Apologies. I was unclear.

I mean, when you upload samples to a website showing a before/after comparison. For instance:

Client comes to website. Goes to before/after page. Normally, they'd have to play song 1A, stop song A, start song 1B, etc. etc.

With the media player I'm talking about, it plays *both* simultaneously, so you can 'switch' between the two in real-time, as it plays.

So, the client would click on Song 1. It would cache both Song 1 A and B, with B muted. You can click the 'after' button, and it switches to 1B without skipping a beat. Then, you can click 'before' and it will switch back to Song 1A.

Hopefully that clears things up.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

I remembered the one I was looking at. It's on Tube Tech's website. A link is here. Theirs is quite buggy, and is flash, which is why I'm looking for a suitable alternative.

Tube Tech / SMC 2B Multiband Opto Compressor
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
So, the client would click on Song 1. It would cache both Song 1 A and B, with B muted. You can click the 'after' button, and it switches to 1B without skipping a beat. Then, you can click 'before' and it will switch back to Song 1A.
To use, that's effectively how foobar2000 does it (I think there is also an option to start from the beginning of the track each time you switch, but I don't think you'd want to do that!) You would have to ensure that the two files are sample aligned.

There is also a very short crossfade (20ms?) to avoid any clicks when changing from one version to another. It's designed for ABX testing so you can play A, B, X and Y (where X and Y and randomly either A and B or B and A) but you can just use the A and B part of it.

It only runs on Windows, but there are ABX tools available for any platform and there should be one that does what you want for AB.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

I understand that, but I can't use foobar on a website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Addict

Ah yes... it was early morning when I posted that! You may find something that could be adapted to your needs in this thread Can you help us create an online ABX tester app for gear shoot-outs?
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Didn't see anything particularly useful in that thread. I'll check again. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 13th July 2013
Gear Head

I imagine it wouldnt be too hard to code an applet or script that would accomplish this. but I haven't seen one in the html5 family yet....

the player would play both songs, with the volume on "after" starting at 0%, when you click the after button it would switch the volume to 100% on after and down to 0 on before.

why not try hacking / kludging something out from any of the current jscript players? imagining the pseudo code...seems like it wouldn't be too hard even for a novice.. but I haven't programmed for the web in about 5 years

I'm definitely interested in what you find... a great idea!
Old 14th July 2013
OTA
Gear nut

I own a tube-tech smc2b and while researching it i was VERY appreciative of that player on their website.
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Maniac

(deleted: like some others, I was talking about offline player)
Old 13th January 2015
Yes Im looking for the same thing:
here's how it looks like. you can press original/master at any time and compare a/b in real time
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for A/B music player (for before/after comparisons)-screen-shot-2015-01-13-11.40.52-pm.png  
Old 8th October 2016
Bump up /// please any more ideas!! Thanks!!
Old 8th October 2016
it's easy to do with some basic javascript (you can find millions of ready to use html audio players on the web: 15+ Best HTML5 Audio Player with Examples).

Just play two audios simultaneously and use volume of each to create a crossfade. Make sure the buffers of both players are full before you trigger "play". All are open source, just look into the docu for buffering, how to control volume and how to play/stop. Then, adapt it. It's open for a reason!

This case is simply too nerdy/special for the masses, that's why nobody bothered wasting time building such a solution.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

My web guy was able to build a pretty decent solution for this. What we noticed is that with Google Chrome the transition between the before/after we're pretty smooth. In Safari, there was a bit more of a hiccup but still within reason.

I haven't checked in the latest Safari update but this is a good reminder to do so.

Just keep in mind that somel browsers may work better than others.
Old 8th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
it's easy to do with some basic javascript (you can find millions of ready to use html audio players on the web: 15+ Best HTML5 Audio Player with Examples).

Just play two audios simultaneously and use volume of each to create a crossfade. Make sure the buffers of both players are full before you trigger "play". All are open source, just look into the docu for buffering, how to control volume and how to play/stop. Then, adapt it. It's open for a reason!

This case is simply too nerdy/special for the masses, that's why nobody bothered wasting time building such a solution.
thank you thank you! i will take a deep look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
My web guy was able to build a pretty decent solution for this. What we noticed is that with Google Chrome the transition between the before/after we're pretty smooth. In Safari, there was a bit more of a hiccup but still within reason.

I haven't checked in the latest Safari update but this is a good reminder to do so.

Just keep in mind that somel browsers may work better than others.
my web guy has made such a script for me as well, a very simple one
the problem was it wasnt refined and had a few glitches one of them was once you had it aimed for a certain track you couldnt add another one as they worked as hard linked ones (check it out here: http://robertryda.com/test)

could you please show a demo of your script?
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Nut

I'm just bumping this thread as i was doing some googling and this thread came up. I haven't seen any simple solutions yet for setting up a real-time A-B comparison audio player on a website. Maybe 2018 will yield?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've finally found a solution...for Wordpress users...and it takes a bit of tweaking to get it right but download these files and use the given code to generate your A/B player! GitHub - WPPlugins/ab-audio-sync: This is a mirror of the svn repo: https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/ab-audio-sync/, the master is always the latest release.

Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehousestudios View Post
I've finally found a solution...for Wordpress users...and it takes a bit of tweaking to get it right but download these files and use the given code to generate your A/B player! GitHub - WPPlugins/ab-audio-sync: This is a mirror of the svn repo: https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/ab-audio-sync/, the master is always the latest release.

Good luck!
Thank you!!!!! YOU ARE MY ANGEL!!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search