Millenia NSEQ4 or Crane Ibis or CharterOak PEQ.
Old 22nd June 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 
angel72bg's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Millenia NSEQ4 or Crane Ibis or CharterOak PEQ.

Hi All,
Please help with some advice>
I have got Dangerous Bax Eq also SSL Mynx Bus compressor and Thermionic The Phoenix master compressor.
Now I intend to buy one more Hardware EQ for mastering.
What you think:
Millennia NSEQ4,
CraneSong Ibis,
CharterOak PEQ,
I do not want Massive Passive.
Thank You
Old 23rd June 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
All of these are amazing eqs. I also have a Bax. I absolutely love the NSEQ4. It's an amazing eq. It has unbalanced out that adds 6db of some of the most beautiful gain to compensate if there are unbalanced kit in the chain. I use it all of the time. But it's butter. Also have a Sontec 250ex and they work amazingly well together. Low mid to hi on NSEQ4 is incredible. Lo end with unbalanced is great but like the low end on the Sontec better.
Old 23rd June 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 

Charter Oak is an incredible unit. In particular the low mid range...

I use it for mastering and it gives good results on everything I try. I am very happy with it.
Old 24th June 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
All of these are amazing eqs. I also have a Bax. I absolutely love the NSEQ4. It's an amazing eq. It has unbalanced out that adds 6db of some of the most beautiful gain to compensate if there are unbalanced kit in the chain. I use it all of the time. But it's butter. Also have a Sontec 250ex and they work amazingly well together. Low mid to hi on NSEQ4 is incredible. Lo end with unbalanced is great but like the low end on the Sontec better.
I don't quite understand why it would add 6dB of gain to work with unbalanced kit- wouldn't it drop the output? There is something not right if you are getting 6dB gain as the NSEQ is entirely unbalanced.
Old 26th June 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ONDRAY's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaga View Post
Charter Oak is an incredible unit. In particular the low mid range...

I use it for mastering and it gives good results on everything I try. I am very happy with it.
+1 on the PEQ's Sub, Low-mid and Air bands. Mind you from your list I only have experience with the PEQ-1 and Massive Passive, and they're both great in their own right. I find the Hi-Mid of the PEQ-1 a bit aggressive compared to the Massive Passive, it's not as round. But the low-sub and high-air take the cake on the PEQ.
Old 26th June 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I don't quite understand why it would add 6dB of gain to work with unbalanced kit- wouldn't it drop the output? There is something not right if you are getting 6dB gain as the NSEQ is entirely unbalanced.
Oops meant input not output.

http://www.mil-media.com/pdf/NSEQ-4%...%20Manual..pdf
Old 28th June 2013
  #7
OTA
Gear nut
 
OTA's Avatar
Hi Slug can I pick your thoughts here (and others)

Do you use the 6db gain function for anything other than a line driver? I've had a week now with my new NSEQ-4 and I'm definitely digging it. It's first in my chain, and when engaging the gain, it does make you sit up and take notice, but I'm not clear if it alters the eq characteristics at all... I assumed it didn't but it's obviously hard to judge with the immediate level difference. It is nice to see how it pushes the following units in the chain...

At the moment I'm also finding the unit alot more usable keeping the gain range set in low... It's very interesting getting your settings and then toggling between the gain ranges to exaggerate the curves...

Only ask cos you said 'low end with unbalanced' ....
Old 28th June 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Yep gain range usually set to low and yes I'll use the unbalanced as a line driver. It's some of the cleanest sweetest gain I've heard. When I want some gain on lower rms material ill put it first and push through the unbalanced. I really think it shines in the mids and hi's. it can help get the vocals to come out without adding harshness or too much presence. It's a beautiful eq. I use it with a Sontec 250ex which tows the low end work and hi shelf. It's a great combo. Bax mainly for filters and sometimes the shelves too. But NSEQ4 is an amazing eq. Cool someone else is digging it.
Old 28th June 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Crane Song Ibis and that is a unit that I am seriously interested in purchasing within the next year. Something about eq'ing using notes instead of frequencies that sounds very unique and interesting.


Luis
Old 28th June 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
gregor z's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Crane Song Ibis and that is a unit that I am seriously interested in purchasing within the next year. Something about eq'ing using notes instead of frequencies that sounds very unique and interesting.
My main tool....I have the mastering version..... Highly recommended.

Very musical EQ with a nice definition and punch IMHO..

I LOVE the Color control...used almost on every master I do, from very subtle to quite aggressive sometimes....

Used to have inserts patched to the patchbay so I could insert compressors on separate bands...but it was too much hassle...even though results were very interesting sometimes..

Love to use it in M/S too...

And build quality is top notch,


Best,

Gregor
Old 5th June 2015
  #11
am a little embarrassed to say this for fear of a communal lynching from the forum for heresy, but I actually just traded in my Millennia NSEQ-2 on the CO PEQ-1. I have the CO SCL-1 in my mix chain and its been a glorious relief on my workflow. There is no way to screw that compressor up... It just does what it does and does it brilliantly. You only realize how much its doing when you bypass it. Great for mix bus program material.

I was sooo excited to finally get my hands on a NSEQ-2, but after several months of working with it, i found it to be more a hindrance than a help for my mixbus. I spent waaayyyy to much time noodling it and it always seemed to pick my mixes apart, rather than helping to get the mix balanced, even with the Q opened all the way up. I mean it's a stellar EQ and i will definitely miss the tube/SS option. But I have a feeling that the PEQ-1 will simplify things the way that the compressor did and ill be able to dial in a sound faster and more consistently. Ill be getting it today at some point, so I will relay the results once I've had some time with it.
Old 5th June 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Red Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I would def. add to that group the Bettermaker 232P EQ,
the Pultec section alone is worth to have that box, I love mine to bone, really amazing unit allowing you to scoop and boost in different way then 'classic' EQ
(Pultec section)
Old 5th June 2015
  #13
Gear Nut
 

+1 for the Ibis. The shelves make it onto pretty much every master I do, something very deep and musical about them.
Old 6th June 2015
  #14
Here for the gear
 
Amplitude Mastering's Avatar
 

+1 on the Ibis as well, ultra musical, some of the best EQ to add air, the color fonction is really great yeah !
Old 6th June 2015
  #15
Thumbs up to what's been said about the iBis. It's also an excellent eq for cleaning up low mid buildup and mud, doesn't ever get to thin or hollow.
Old 6th June 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
I grabbed a PEQ1 several months ago, and it is a very nice EQ. It is very modern sounding analog, and keeps nicely done digital work clean and clear, but adds the analog touch in making things beefier. It also has left and right level trim, which is great to reduce signal after boosting to get things back right from a level standpoint. I wish all analog EQs had this. Its quality kit. I really want to add their compressor to my mastering chain. I'm trying to decide between it and the Dangerous comp. I also bought a Knif Soma right around the new year. It is in a class all by itself if you ask me.
Old 6th June 2015
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I grabbed a PEQ1 several months ago, and it is a very nice EQ. It is very modern sounding analog, and keeps nicely done digital work clean and clear, but adds the analog touch in making things beefier. It also has left and right level trim, which is great to reduce signal after boosting to get things back right from a level standpoint. I wish all analog EQs had this. Its quality kit. I really want to add their compressor to my mastering chain. I'm trying to decide between it and the Dangerous comp. I also bought a Knif Soma right around the new year. It is in a class all by itself if you ask me.
at this point my mixbuss is just that. the PEQ and the SCL-1. Great combination so far. I've only had a couple of hours with the PEQ at this point, but i can tell its going to be way more productive for me than the NSEQ. After just a couple of minutes with it, i realized that I was using my ears to mix, rather than looking at the knobs and tweaking to make sure the channels were matched, pots were stepped correctly etc. Essentially i spent to much time making sure the NSEQ was set correctly, and not enough time listening to what i was doing. Although I'm not sure yet if I'm going to miss that tube/ss feature. Time will tell.
Old 7th June 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
 

I would pick the Charter Oak over the Millennial FF any day of the week. I have both here.
Old 7th June 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
dietrich10's Avatar
The sound of the PEQ is as musical as any EQ. I would like to know how owners of the unit feel about each filter always being engaged? I find that aspect tough in the mastering workflow
Old 9th June 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Alécio Costa's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I Love so much the Ibis that I have 2 units here,
Old 9th June 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Alécio Costa's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I Love so much the Ibis that I have 2 units here!
Old 9th June 2015
  #22
I have a NSEQ-FF and just sold my PEQ-1 and SCL-1 today... I prefer the NSEQ-FF by miles over the PEQ-1. PEQ-1 has immediacy which is great but the sound of the NSEQ-FF is so much more 3d and full and not as brittle as the PEQ-1. I have used the PEQ-1 in mastering for years, so it's not bad, but it's just not in the same league as the NSEQ-FF.

Also, CO have the worst customer service I've ever had in my entire life... Good luck getting it soon if you order it new. I sent mine in for service last May 2014 due to it being really noisey in right channel, and after story upon story of what was going on, and being told it's shipping tomorrow, wait, no next week, no tomorrow, no wait, we lost it, need to send you a different unit, no wait, found it, wait now it's in California, no they lost it, building a new unit, there was a noise problem needs to stay a bit, wait no its ready to ship, we'll get back to you... and they said we'll get back to you at least 20-30 times and never did, I was calling and emailing weekly and sometimes daily.

I didn't get it back until 2 weeks ago. It was in service for a year straight when I was told it would be 2 weeks... which is why I bought the NSEQ-FF to fill in the space of the rack. And at first, I wasn't connecting with the NSEQ-FF because it didn't have the immediacy.. but if you stick with it. WOW. It's amazing. You have to learn it and earn the love back with it, but it's worth it. When I got back my PEQ-1, I put it in the rack, and tried mastering with it again. It came out way less full and more tinny sounding compared to the NSEQ-FF version. Also, just using the CO gear left a bad taste in my mouth after dealing with their crap all year.

Also, the PEQ-1 is a lot noisier than the NSEQ-FF (tape hiss sounding noisefloor). it's noisier than everything else combined in my chain.

Used to love my Charter Oak gear, but now that I have NSEQ-FF and a Soma in the rack, it definitely sounds inferior and I pretty much can't stand the company for lying to me over and over (have the dated emails, texts, and voicemails to prove it too, but I'll just keep that to myself for now).
Old 9th June 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Soma is in a league of its own. It will forever be pretty much on everything I do and it will be last in the chain because I don't want ANYTHING degrading its signal. Absolutely amazing. I won't be selling my PEQ. It is clean and is noisy. But I have a place for it and it has worked on some things. But Soma is unparalleled. I didn't believe the hype until I ran signal through it.
Old 9th June 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator adam View Post
I have a NSEQ-FF and just sold my PEQ-1 and SCL-1 today... I prefer the NSEQ-FF by miles over the PEQ-1. PEQ-1 has immediacy which is great but the sound of the NSEQ-FF is so much more 3d and full and not as brittle as the PEQ-1. I have used the PEQ-1 in mastering for years, so it's not bad, but it's just not in the same league as the NSEQ-FF.

Also, CO have the worst customer service I've ever had in my entire life... Good luck getting it soon if you order it new. I sent mine in for service last May 2014 due to it being really noisey in right channel, and after story upon story of what was going on, and being told it's shipping tomorrow, wait, no next week, no tomorrow, no wait, we lost it, need to send you a different unit, no wait, found it, wait now it's in California, no they lost it, building a new unit, there was a noise problem needs to stay a bit, wait no its ready to ship, we'll get back to you... and they said we'll get back to you at least 20-30 times and never did, I was calling and emailing weekly and sometimes daily.

I didn't get it back until 2 weeks ago. It was in service for a year straight when I was told it would be 2 weeks... which is why I bought the NSEQ-FF to fill in the space of the rack. And at first, I wasn't connecting with the NSEQ-FF because it didn't have the immediacy.. but if you stick with it. WOW. It's amazing. You have to learn it and earn the love back with it, but it's worth it. When I got back my PEQ-1, I put it in the rack, and tried mastering with it again. It came out way less full and more tinny sounding compared to the NSEQ-FF version. Also, just using the CO gear left a bad taste in my mouth after dealing with their crap all year.

Also, the PEQ-1 is a lot noisier than the NSEQ-FF (tape hiss sounding noisefloor). it's noisier than everything else combined in my chain.

Used to love my Charter Oak gear, but now that I have NSEQ-FF and a Soma in the rack, it definitely sounds inferior and I pretty much can't stand the company for lying to me over and over (have the dated emails, texts, and voicemails to prove it too, but I'll just keep that to myself for now).
Sorry to hear about your bad experience! That is pretty crazy and must have left a really bad taste in your mouth.

As far as the sound goes, I think it really depends on what gear you have in the chain as to what works for you. The way things interact can really change how good/bad something is.

For myself I would describe the Millennia FF as getting brittle sounding really fast in my setup. Its like a transient enhancer on the tops and like a compressor on the bass and can get way to much with just a tiny amount in my setup. I tend to use it a subtle tone machine rather than any serious Eq work. Its just way too full on most of the time on more than a half a dB.

My Peq on the other hand sounds smooth and musical in my chain. It does some kind of evening out of the harshness in the over the top dance music I get sent but it doesn't kill the transients. Not usable on everything tho but I use it more than the Millennia FF.

I wish it had a bypass for each band. That would be fantastic.

I have had 2 units here and I must say they both sounded quite different so I am not sure about consistency of the build. The other unit made the mixes sound scooped in the mids.

Its not anywhere near the quality of Soma, GML, Maselec etc etc but for under $2K new I am quite happy to have it as an option.

My ones noise floor is about -85dB
Old 9th June 2015
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
To be clear, you guys are talking about the Forssell modified NSEQ-2 (aka "NSEQ-FF"), not the NSEQ-2 or NSEQ-4. I'm still curious to hear if anyone's compared the latter with the FF.

When I use the NSEQ-FF it's typically one or two bands at most, as more of a sweetener than a primary EQ, although it's super clean. The phase shift on the low band (Q = 1) can do amazing things for adding heft and unmasking things higher up, even one click (0.5dB). It's worth noting also that even on the finest +/- range the step sizes aren't all 0.5dB but get coarser the further you go. (See older threads about the stock unit vs Fred's mod).

Last edited by Adam Dempsey; 9th June 2015 at 09:49 AM..
Old 10th June 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
 

Yeah NSEQ-FF. I find the same as you. Mostly use 1-2 bands. Great for enhancement.

PEQ-1 is more usable as a balancing Eq despite its somewhat esoteric layout. My unit has a really nice overall tone.
If you drive it hard it acts like some kind of compressor/limiter before it saturates too much so its quite useful in that way for some things.
Very odd machine but I am really into it. IT works really well with ITB electronica that sounds way too digital.
Old 10th June 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
To be clear, you guys are talking about the Forssell modified NSEQ-2 (aka "NSEQ-FF"), not the NSEQ-2 or NSEQ-4. I'm still curious to hear if anyone's compared the latter with the FF.

When I use the NSEQ-FF it's typically one or two bands at most, as more of a sweetener than a primary EQ, although it's super clean. The phase shift on the low band (Q = 1) can do amazing things for adding heft and unmasking things higher up, even one click (0.5dB). It's worth noting also that even on the finest +/- range the step sizes aren't all 0.5dB but get coarser the further you go. (See older threads about the stock unit vs Fred's mod).
I still use my NSEQ-FF all day, every day when mastering, in tandem with the Sontec 432.

It's an incredibly good sounding combo, together or separately.

I used the NSEQ-2 which I bought in 2000 iirc, daily for a few years, but when I did the FF upgrade, the difference was a notch or two better, world class.

So mega-kudos to Fred Forssell for designing ~and~ later improving the EQ.

Best, JT
Old 13th June 2015
  #28
Same here I been using the FF ver for a long time, I like the sonic print the deepness in the lows and the air in 21K !
Old 13th June 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBM View Post
Same here I been using the FF ver for a long time, I like the sonic print the deepness in the lows and the air in 21K !
Exactly! And a single click in the low mids can really warm up a thin vocal.

Best, JT
Old 14th June 2015
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Exactly! And a single click in the low mids can really warm up a thin vocal.

Best, JT
Also brings out the punch of kick on a high Q setting soooo well. The Q knobs really make this machine shine over the PEQ-1 for me. It can go broad like a PEQ-1, but it also can get quite surgical or specific if wanted.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search