"Sleigh Bells" in Christmas Tunes
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
"Sleigh Bells" in Christmas Tunes

Every year from November onwards I get a fair share of Christmas tunes to master. One thing that a lot of songs have in common is the liberal use of "sleigh bells" for that Christmas feel.

I was wondering whether the mastering community has developed any special techniques for dealing with this seasonal instrument?

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Other than telling them "You know, you generally want to record jingle bells from across the room - Not from 6 inches away..." it's a bit of a crapshoot.

When you have 36 almost simultaneous 100+dBSPL transients going off every second (something that analog meters won't even notice and few digital meters react to properly) I think a lot of people don't understand the importance of space and distance anymore with such instruments. Glockenspiel, triangle, slapstick, bells, etc.

You can try knocking down certain "irritants" with a FFT EQ, some of the "grating" noise can be softened with a good de-esser, but it's really program-dependent.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search