The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper DDP GUI
Old 25th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
My markers : pretty much only the title. Sometimes I'll include 'Street/Clean/INST' etc.. in the title marker/region.
i'm thinking about what nice (and moreover) generic approach:
(1) rename your markers to include all additional data like ISRCs
(2) add my markers (having the data like ISRCs included) on top of yours
(3) converting your markers to regions and adding my markers

it would only work generically if the markers have only the name.
whats your view? maybe you have additional ideas?

Quote:
... THANKS so much for this script!!
you're welcome. i'm glad you like it!
Gear Addict

Quote:
My markers : pretty much only the title. Sometimes I'll include 'Street/Clean/INST' etc.. in the title marker/region.

I'll include 'Timbo-Master' and a date rev : "170925" on Output render with Wild-cards, so none of that needs to be in a marker.

... THANKS so much for this script!!
You can make or ask for a script (or a custom action if already existing) to make all this in one go before you run karumbas script.
I just did a similar thing but according to my own workflow.
Lives for gear

My gut would say option #2 , or #3 ..

The thing I love about your script is that I don't need to worry about marker management with ISRC, etc ... I would prefer it to be entered only in your GUI.

I'm fine with Markers to Regions
>Export render Digital Delivery (24-bit deliverables)
> DDP_GUI authoring (ISRC, your track markers are created)
>Render DDP export (at 16-bit)

That would be pretty killer
Old 25th September 2017
Deleted e461f65
Cheers to karumba for making it and also making it available to users (this is inspiring to say the least)

I have not used the script but from the users' comments, so far, I am starting to wonder how straight forward it is, compared to just using reaper's instructions for ddp export.

My work starts with Generic stuff regardeless DAW
I make sure to always snap to CD frames .
I just import the files, volume match them roughly, line them up, nudge all of them two seconds to the right to allow the pregap, extend or shrink each item's start to be 10 frames of silence, and start listening to the album ...
...while I do that, I may tweak the item's volume a bit more and push them forward or backwards on the timeline until it feels right, ...then I take care of fade outs and maybe rearrange the regions as I usually extend the item's end to include the silence between tracks>>>

Then I move to Reaper related actions.
Create regions for each item, which I "name" using reaper's instructions for the DDP export (ie.#tracktitle |PERFORMER=bestbandoftheuniverse|ISRC=007),
Then I place the first marker at the start of the project (! marker)
If I am happy with the sequence I will finally place the last marker with the album metadata... (ie. @ Alb umtitle|PERFORMER=bestbandoftheuniverse|LANGUAGE=English)

now my timeline is ready and my album metadata in and ready to be exported within the DDP ...by now I also have heard the material a couple of times and have a fairly good idea of what I need to do with every track, so I go on to processing ...listen, evaluate, export wavs, convert regions to markers, export ddp, QC, done
Disclaimer: I rarely have to export mp3s and I do not care about it or about tagging them at this point of my life (when I need to, I got jaikoz)

The only reason I see on using a table-like system is in order to avoid typing a couple of words...but that' s what ctrl+c was invented for

Apostolos

Last edited by Deleted e461f65; 25th September 2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 30th September 2017 | Show parent
Deleted 2ef94c5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
I am convinced now that you haven't tried a ddp export off reaper...
I know you were talking to Justin P., but the one thing preventing me from truly diving into the script is my preference for 3rd party SRC. I cannot tolerate going from 96 to 44khz using Reaper's SRC, or else this script would be a huge time saver.

Am I missing some obvious way to make this work? I figure by the time I batch convert 94->44 using RX6 and then create a new 44khz Reaper session, I might as well assemble in Hofa and get PQ Sheets and client playable DDPs to boot.
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
I know you were talking to Justin P., but the one thing preventing me from truly diving into the script is my preference for 3rd party SRC. I cannot tolerate going from 96 to 44khz using Reaper's SRC, or else this script would be a huge time saver.

Am I missing some obvious way to make this work? I figure by the time I batch convert 94->44 using RX6 and then create a new 44khz Reaper session, I might as well assemble in Hofa and get PQ Sheets and client playable DDPs to boot.
I'm sure there is a script for in REAPER or one could be made but the way I do it in WaveLab is:

All processing done at 96k including final limiting. Once I am happy with the sound, I render a new continuous file of the entire project that is 32-bit fp/96k to print all the processing to a new file. A new montage is automatically made with the markers and project info/CD-Text etc. automatically transferred over. I just add a dither piugin and I can easily render 24-bit/96k WAV files of the project if/when needed.

Then I SRC that rendered continuous 96k WAV file to 32-bit fp/44.1k using a 3rd party app (Saracon).

After that, WaveLab has a custom montage copy function so with the 2nd 96k montage open with the processing printed, I can have WaveLab recreate the montage project at 44.1k (or 48k if needed) with all the project info/CD-Text etc. automatically transferred over. No additional work or data entry needed.

I add a 16-bit dither plugin and then I can render DDP or 16-bit/44.1k WAV, or remove the dither and make mp3s of each album track.

Again, all the info is just entered once in the very first montage, and there is no messing around. It's all carried over and pushed to all applicable places (ID3 metadata, Cd-Text, etc.)

What I typed looks like a lot but it's so fast/simple/effective that it's worth doing in another app besides REAPER.

I could see REAPER being able to do this but it would take some very specific and customized scripting.
Deleted 2ef94c5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
WaveLab has a custom montage copy function so with the 2nd 96k montage open with the processing printed, I can have WaveLab recreate the montage project at 44.1k (or 48k if needed) with all the project info/CD-Text etc. automatically transferred over. No additional work or data entry needed.

I add a 16-bit dither plugin and then I can render DDP or 16-bit/44.1k WAV, or remove the dither and make mp3s of each album track.

Again, all the info is just entered once in the very first montage, and there is no messing around. It's all carried over and pushed to all applicable places (ID3 metadata...
Ok, if Hofa 2.0 doesn't deliver a multi-output workflow close to Wavelab then I will make the leap.

I think I spend at least an hour a day juggling multiple outputs for the active project: Redbook and MFiT WAVs (ISRC BWF embedded), DDP, vinyl PM, MP3 and 24/96 flac. Id like them all outputting from single batch exports pulling from *one* metadata pool.
Deleted e461f65
Quote:

I also output 96K files and convert to 44.1, using external SRC ...so I know what you are saying.

I can only save you a couple of minutes, by suggesting you don't have to start a new reaper project, but import the SRCed audio back in the same one and just change the audio settings/preferences.
As Justin is doing in wavelab, all the info is just entered once, in the very first session and you dont have to use a second application unless you need id3 tagging on your mp3s.
Old 1st October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure there is a script for in REAPER or one could be made but the way I do it in WaveLab is:

All processing done at 96k including final limiting. Once I am happy with the sound, I render a new continuous file of the entire project that is 32-bit fp/96k to print all the processing to a new file. A new montage is automatically made with the markers and project info/CD-Text etc. automatically transferred over. I just add a dither piugin and I can easily render 24-bit/96k WAV files of the project if/when needed.

Then I SRC that rendered continuous 96k WAV file to 32-bit fp/44.1k using a 3rd party app (Saracon).

After that, WaveLab has a custom montage copy function so with the 2nd 96k montage open with the processing printed, I can have WaveLab recreate the montage project at 44.1k (or 48k if needed) with all the project info/CD-Text etc. automatically transferred over. No additional work or data entry needed.

Again, all the info is just entered once in the very first montage, and there is no messing around. It's all carried over and pushed to all applicable places (ID3 metadata, Cd-Text, etc.)

What I typed looks like a lot but it's so fast/simple/effective that it's worth doing in another app besides REAPER.

I could see REAPER being able to do this but it would take some very specific and customized scripting.
This is basically what I do in Reaper. No extra scripts used besides Karumba's and a create markers from region script.

- Capture 96k, 32 bit. Clean up, fades, levels etc. Then run Karumba's Script, enter metadata once. Then create Regions from those markers.

- Render Project as a whole. 1 continuous 96k 32 bit file.

- Save a copy of the project as a 44.1 version.

- SRC using RX.

- Drag that 32 bit/ 44.1k version into the identical 44.1 project.

- Print. Various versions from the 2 sections.

Markers are all there in both versions, entered once. They line up exactly with the 96k versions and the metadata is the same.

I use an external app to make MP3s, but thats it!

Just to give you an idea of how it compares to a Wavelab workflow.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just render the master as 1 file, and SRC in RX. Takes almost no time.
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
This is basically what I do in Reaper. No extra scripts used besides Karumba's and a create markers from region script.

- Capture 96k, 32 bit. Clean up, fades, levels etc. Then run Karumba's Script, enter metadata once. Then create Regions from those markers.

- SRC using RX.

Markers are all there in both versions, entered once. They line up exactly with the 96k versions and the metadata is the same.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad REAPER isn't that far off from what I'd need should I ever stop using WaveLab but right now WaveLab 9 is super stable and kicking ass.

There are too many little things missing in REAPER that can be done in the WaveLab montage to mention here but a few big things would be very thorough metadata support for WAV and mp3 files, all populated from existing info as well artwork, and ability to create a nice look PQ report. Not so much for digital releases, but for vinyl pre-masters I usually make a 24-bit/96k WAV of each vinyl side and a matching PDF report for each side. Using "CD Track Groups", WaveLab can modify the start times for side B so that the PDF report makes sense with the audio file for side B which starts at zero.

Before WaveLab added this feature, I had to make a new project for side B so that the marker times on the PDF report matched the audio file now it's done automatically.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm glad REAPER isn't that far off from what I'd need should I ever stop using WaveLab but right now WaveLab 9 is super stable and kicking ass.

There are too many little things missing in REAPER that can be done in the WaveLab montage to mention here but a few big things would be very thorough metadata support for WAV and mp3 files, all populated from existing info as well artwork, and ability to create a nice look PQ report. Not so much for digital releases, but for vinyl pre-masters I usually make a 24-bit/96k WAV of each vinyl side and a matching PDF report for each side. Using "CD Track Groups", WaveLab can modify the start times for side B so that the PDF report makes sense with the audio file for side B which starts at zero.

Before WaveLab added this feature, I had to make a new project for side B so that the marker times on the PDF report matched the audio file now it's done automatically.
That sounds cool, Reaper doesn't do that. The closest you can get is rendering each vinyl side as single tracks, but you sure can't create any matching PDF for them. I use the PQ sheet from the Hofa player/maker. Reaper could definitely be more feature rich/streamlined for a true mastering layout.

I came from assembling in Soundblade, so for me its like I found utopia. Yes the sound engine doesn't sound quite as good (it just doesn't I'm sorry), but Soundblade won't even create WAV files that Apple will accept for MFIT. I always had to convert them in Myriad so Apple would accept them. That may have been fixed in the new version, but it was that way for probably a year or 2 after I reported it. And if I rendered the DDP with 1 plugin on a track by accident sometimes it would silence the whole DDP (of course it never went out that way as I'd diligently check). So Reaper feels like an endless well of features.
Gear Addict

Quote:

- SRC using RX.

To me the extra 44,1 project sounds a bit unnecessary. I would just glue everything going to CD as a new take or track and then send that to RX6 via Reaper, convert which makes it a new take. It doesnt matter if the project is running at 96 you can still have a 44,1 file in there. Just untick the "use project sample rate for mixing/FX when you render the DDP so reaper doesnt do an extra conversion there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
To me the extra 44,1 project sounds a bit unnecessary. I would just glue everything going to CD as a new take or track and then send that to RX6 via Reaper, convert which makes it a new take. It doesnt matter if the project is running at 96 you can still have a 44,1 file in there. Just untick the "use project sample rate for mixing/FX when you render the DDP so reaper doesnt do an extra conversion there.
Oh that’s a great suggestion. Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

- SRC using RX.

FWIW, this is also essentially my workflow in Sequoia, which I've replicated in REAPER the few times I've used it for mastering projects.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've updated the DDP GUI script to v1-11. You can download it here:
https://www.finemastering.de/downloads/

The script now works very well together with Wyatt Rice' highly recommended DDP Marker Editor. Recommended workflow is to first use my script & then use Wyatts Editor to add/modify the track entries. Please note, that track songwriter/composer/arranger is only correctly written, when this tag is also specified for the album (e.g. you might want to use "Various")!

You can now also set additional album tags:
  • COMPOSER
  • SONGWRITER
  • GENRE (This is checked against the CD-TEXT and will throw a warning when it couldn't find the typed in genre)
  • ARRANGER
Thanks to Tim Boyce and Wyatt Rice for their valuable support!
Lives for gear

And just to note ... While Jan's DDP PREPARE Script Does check for valid ISO entries and characters ... Wyatts DDP MARKER EDIT script does not ..

So it is possible to use this script first, then edit it to a non-standard CDTEXT entry ... I let Wyatt know, but he doesn't have time to add the checking at the moment. so be aware. . . or if you want this feature, ping him and put in a request.

Big props to JAN for the weekend hustle in making a ton of updates to make these scripts play nicely together. Great package here
Lives for gear

Quote:
And just to note ... While Jan's DDP PREPARE Script Does check for valid ISO entries and characters ... Wyatts DDP MARKER EDIT script does not ..

So it is possible to use this script first, then edit it to a non-standard CDTEXT entry ... I let Wyatt know, but he doesn't have time to add the checking at the moment. so be aware. . . or if you want this feature, ping him and put in a request.

Big props to JAN for the weekend hustle in making a ton of updates to make these scripts play nicely together. Great package here
Thankyou both! Major workflow enhancement.
Old 28th October 2020
Hello and thank you very much for this. Unfortunately I don't understand how to install it. I copied the .py file in the script folder. But the action list can only import .lua extensions, so I don't know what to do. Thanks!
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Hello and thank you very much for this. Unfortunately I don't understand how to install it. I copied the .py file in the script folder. But the action list can only import .lua extensions, so I don't know what to do. Thanks!
It easiest to make a new button for it ...

Rightclick to 'Customize Toolbar'

in the new window that opens, "add"

Then in the Actions window click on "Load ReaScript"

once it's chosen you can hit "select/close"

and you'll nee a new button added to your toolbar. You can then edit it with a better name, or picture, etc ....

I have two buttons, one for the DDP Prepare, and one for the DDP Edit Gui. Makes assembly a breeze!
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
It easiest to make a new button for it ...

Rightclick to 'Customize Toolbar'

in the new window that opens, "add"

Then in the Actions window click on "Load ReaScript"

once it's chosen you can hit "select/close"

and you'll nee a new button added to your toolbar. You can then edit it with a better name, or picture, etc ....

I have two buttons, one for the DDP Prepare, and one for the DDP Edit Gui. Makes assembly a breeze!
Hello and thank you.
I know how to do all this. I have 3 customized toolbars with tens of buttons. My problem is that the script is a *.py file, so "Load ReaScript" doesn't work for me. The python file cannot be recognized or loaded in actions.

I have installed python and sws extensions and I am on Windows 10 Reaper 64bit.
Old 29th October 2020
I see there others here and in Reaper forum who have asked and didn't get an answer. So I'll share this: Apparently you have to change some settings in Reaper after installing python. Also the python version in the download link is not the most recent one, so you could google "download python" to get the latest version. The settings in Reaper are the following:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=62

For some reason all this still doesn't work for me and Reaper ignores the .py file. So I'll stick to the hard way for making DDP's. But maybe someone can be helped from this info.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My problem is that the script is a *.py file, so "Load ReaScript" doesn't work for me. The python file cannot be recognized or loaded in actions.
Have you pointed Reaper to your .py library? ... it's under the preferences pane, there are a few place it could live, but you can browse to where you placed the executable for python.

Sounds like Reaper doesn't know where to run python from
Quote:
Have you pointed Reaper to your .py library? ... it's under the preferences pane, there are a few place it could live, but you can browse to where you placed the executable for python.

Sounds like Reaper doesn't know where to run python from
I didn't know I had to do that because it was not mentioned in the instructions. I found out by searching in the forum. However, I still can't run the script although I directed reaper to the python dll folder as instructed.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see there others here and in Reaper forum who have asked and didn't get an answer. So I'll share this: Apparently you have to change some settings in Reaper after installing python. Also the python version in the download link is not the most recent one, so you could google "download python" to get the latest version. The settings in Reaper are the following:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=62

For some reason all this still doesn't work for me and Reaper ignores the .py file. So I'll stick to the hard way for making DDP's. But maybe someone can be helped from this info.
This is correct, I had to do this too back when I first installed this script. Can't remember exactly how I got it to work, but eventually I did and it has been smooth sailing ever since.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

When in doubt ... blame permissions

I'm on OSx so can't help you specifically. works great here.

but in a Win10 system ... make sure there is nothing set in Defender that is blocking DDLs ... try installing Python to a /usr/home space instead of the system /bin (unix talk, but should be the same idea) .. make sure that whatever user Reaper is running as (probably your login) has access to the python DLL you installed. (not in admin space)

last but not least, check the permissions (chmod, again unix talk, but something similar exists in the windows world).

If you open a terminal as your user ... can you access Python? .. or can you only get access after an admin password prompt? reaper needs to be able to see it as a non-privileged user I bet
Quote:
When in doubt ... blame permissions

I'm on OSx so can't help you specifically. works great here.

but in a Win10 system ... make sure there is nothing set in Defender that is blocking DDLs ... try installing Python to a /usr/home space instead of the system /bin (unix talk, but should be the same idea) .. make sure that whatever user Reaper is running as (probably your login) has access to the python DLL you installed. (not in admin space)

last but not least, check the permissions (chmod, again unix talk, but something similar exists in the windows world).

If you open a terminal as your user ... can you access Python? .. or can you only get access after an admin password prompt? reaper needs to be able to see it as a non-privileged user I bet
Thank you for taking the time to answer! I don't understand a single word really, but I will research about these terms and try again
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
DDP script install

Prepare DDP

Script:
DOWNLOAD PREPARE_DDP_GUI V1.12

https://www.finemastering.de/downloads/

https://www.finemastering.de/wp-cont..._GUI_v1-12.zip

Unzip the file Prepare_DDP_GUI_v1-12.zip and copy the file Prepare_DDP_GUI.py to DDP Karumba folder (put it inside the Reaper’s script folder)
To see the Script folder Reaper-Options-Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder...

The script is written in Python. Due to that, you need Python installed on your system. You can download Python v3.9.x (recommended) here. Please make sure to install either the 32Bit or 64Bit version depending on the Reaper version you are using:
http://www.python.org/download/

You must have Python installed on your computer and enabled in REAPER preferences (Options > Preferences > Plug-Ins > ReaScript)
Once Python is installed, REAPER should automatically detect it, and ReaScript will work. If REAPER does not detect Python, you can enter the Python install directory manually in REAPER preferences. And put the pythonxx.dll in the camp Force Reascript to use specific Pythonxx.dll

See attachment

• The script uses a function of the very popular SWS Extension. It is anyway recommended to any Reaper user, since it is very powerful! You can download it here:
https://www.sws-extension.org/

To enable prepare_ddp_gui
Reaper -Actions -New Actions… -Load ReaScript-Browse y select Prepare_DDP_GUI.py-Open.
You could add it to Main or to any floating toolbar.

Notes:
• You have to place your items on the timeline yourself just as you would like to have them later on the CD, including the desired pause times.
• The first item is not allowed to start earlier than “2 seconds + Pregap for tracks”. This is to ensure red book compatiblity.
• All codes (EAN, ISRC) are checked for correct format.
• Artist, album and song names are checked for unsupported CD-Text characters. The script will output a warning in that case.
• You might want to consider Reaper-DDP-Marker-Editor coded by “WyattRice”

DDP Marker editor
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=476

Reaper-DDP-Marker-Editor
A Reaper plugin extension GUI that edits DDP markers in a listbox.
Original code by Sergej Maršnjak. Many thanks for sharing, and making this possible.
Special thanks to Justin Frankel for fixing bugs, and porting to Mac.
Thanks to Christian Fillion for helping add column drag and drop, ini fixes, and code help.
Thanks to SWS for code snippets, Tim Payne, SNM, and Xenakios.

Directions: This is not a vst plugin.

Download the zip file, extract, and pick the version for your operating system, and place it in the user plugins folder. Example: In Reaper, from the main menu go to "Options","Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder", copy and paste the dll (Windows) or dylib (Mac) in the User plugins folder.

Restart Reaper, go to "Actions" menu, "Show actions list", and in the filter text box, type in DDP, and you will see it there ("DDP marker editor").
I still need to do a manual, but if you right click in the listbox, you guys will get the idea.

Get it here from the stash.
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34295/reaper_ddp_edit_R1.zip
Or direct download is here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/34295/reaper_ddp_edit_R1.zip

The source code lives here: (just in case any of you coders want to add any features, etc, as I don't have time at the moment)
https://github.com/WyattRice/reaper-DDP-Marker-Editor

Enjoy!

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=492
DDP_To_Cue_Writer_V7_Windows_7.zip

http://www.wyattrice.com/DDP_To_Cue_..._Windows_7.zip

DDP video youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faen...ature=emb_logo
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper DDP GUI-reascript-reaper.jpg  
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi audiopc2000, thank you for your excellent compilation of the procedure! I Just confidently produced my first DDP Image using Reaper (which can be used for free until the end of January 2021 due to corona).

One thing that I remain unsure about: Do the song-markers have to be on the 75-frames-per-second grid or not?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedl View Post
Hi audiopc2000, thank you for your excellent compilation of the procedure! I Just confidently produced my first DDP Image using Reaper (which can be used for free until the end of January 2021 due to corona).

One thing that I remain unsure about: Do the song-markers have to be on the 75-frames-per-second grid or not?
I'd say yes.
📝 Reply