The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
For god sake! No more remix/remastered collections!
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

For god sake! No more remix/remastered collections!

I was trying to buy a Mega's Symphony of Destruction on iTunes, and learned that Dave Mustain bought back the Mega catalog then personally remixed and remastered the entire catalog! So now it sounds like a bunch of rough mixes!!!

Ozzy actually re-recorded all of the bass and drum tracks on the classic Blizzard of Oz, and Diary of a Madman, then remixed the whole thing.

I don't need to mention George Lucas' remastered original Star Wars trilogy (at least he's now gonna release the non-altered versions on DVD later this year).

Am I the only one that thinks this is unethical?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
I don't need to mention George Lucas' remastered original Star Wars trilogy (at least he's now gonna release the non-altered versions on DVD later this year).
well, he released it on VHS.

and then Laserdisk (i think...)

and then he "updated" it.

now it will be on DVD...

what do you think are the odds we will see a Blu-Ray version?

gotta keep the ranch open...fewer features are going there!

calling it 'unethical' seems abit naive. who says ya gotta buy it? new technologies. new markets. who's zoomin' whom?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister
well, he released it on VHS.

and then Laserdisk (i think...)

and then he "updated" it.

now it will be on DVD...

what do you think are the odds we will see a Blu-Ray version?

gotta keep the ranch open...fewer features are going there!

calling it 'unethical' seems abit naive. who says ya gotta buy it? new technologies. new markets. who's zoomin' whom?
I think I wasn't clear. I was talking about Star War with all the extra digital stuff put in. I'm all for Remastering to put out the original content in different formats. I don't even care if the do Deluxe editions with bonus features. Just don't take away the option of buying the original content because someone decided 10-20 years later to "make it better".

Even the later Ozzy stuff like No More Tears was remastered to be louder and now sounds really bad. But now if you want to buy that record, and go to Tower or iTunes that's your only option.
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:
Ozzy actually re-recorded all of the bass and drum tracks on the classic Blizzard of Oz, and Diary of a Madman, then remixed the whole thing.
Yeah..but for different reason...that was Sharon's idea to 'punish' Bob Daisley and company for them acutally wanting to get paid for writing all those Ozzy hits!

Poor guys!
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Productions
Yeah..but for different reason...that was Sharon's idea to 'punish' Bob Daisley and company for them acutally wanting to get paid for writing all those Ozzy hits!

Poor guys!
She inadvertently is punishing us all. Those new 'mixes' sound lame. Thanks Sharon.
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:
She inadvertently is punishing us all. Those new 'mixes' sound lame. Thanks Sharon.
Agreed!
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Productions

Poor guys!
I always thought Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake sounded great on those recordings.

Hey, you know, if you have a record player, you just go to the used LP store and get the original versions of that stuff. Usually for a buck or two.
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

I bought "A Night At The Opera" a month back.
I thought it sounded a bit strange; then I saw the giant Waves logo on the flip side....and it all added up heh

ruudman
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was trying to buy a Mega's Symphony of Destruction on iTunes, and learned that Dave Mustain bought back the Mega catalog then personally remixed and remastered the entire catalog! So now it sounds like a bunch of rough mixes!!!

Am I the only one that thinks this is unethical?
Fukin criminal mate.

2 things you mentioned there really piss me.
Ozzy messing with Randy
2 George Lucas.

Though I'm glad he is releasing the originals on dvd i didn't know that....

thanks.
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I wasn't clear. I was talking about Star War with all the extra digital stuff put in. I'm all for Remastering to put out the original content in different formats. I don't even care if the do Deluxe editions with bonus features. Just don't take away the option of buying the original content because someone decided 10-20 years later to "make it better".

Even the later Ozzy stuff like No More Tears was remastered to be louder and now sounds really bad. But now if you want to buy that record, and go to Tower or iTunes that's your only option.

Mate...

Dont explain yourself to some dude who doesnt get it.

If he didnt get it then....
he aint going to get it now.
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Something recorded in the 70's should sound like it's recorded in the 70's! (or 80's to 80's, etc). Music isn't all of a sudden going to become relevant because it's louder. tutt

"Geez, I never like'd Queen before...but now that it's loud I'm gonna buy they're whole catalog!"

To me if Green Day was remastered to be NOT squashed, it would lose something to me. Same as when I hear one of those great, dynamic, not-quite-so-loud records from pre late '90's (my loudness turning point), remastered to try an be a hip cool new loud version.

I should go buy a record player and just dump the audio straight over on to CD...crackles and all...good times. Oh, if I only had the time.

-this whole thread is an excuse for me to use a bunch of smilies-
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Addict

Just to add a counter-view, I am all for remasters and remixes where appropriate.

I have that Mega collection (on CD) and think it sounds absolutely fanstastic. No more weedy bass and drums and tinny highs but lots of balls but still nice clear highs and not obviously limited to hell (I haven't checked the waves but it I don't find it fatiguing even played a the sort of volumes metal should be played at heh

I'm not saying that they don't exist but I haven't found a remaster that was worse than the original and some of the orignals stink (made from third gen masters etc.). I listen mainly to 80s rock/prog/metal but also I'm thinking of Steely Dan, Floyd etc.

And on the Star Wars front, If George Lucas had the technology he would have made those changes at the time - that was how he envisoned it looking. Why would you want the substandard version just becauase it was the 'original'?

The Queen stuff might have the Waves logo on it but sure it's as much down to the skills of the remixer/remasterer. I think the Queen Live at Wembley DVD also has seen some Waves product but that sounds FANTASTIC to my ears, both gutsy and well-defined and exciting..how a quality live gig should sound.

Just my 0.02
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Head

I believe there are about 6 versions of the films remarkable Dolby stereo mix.

Star Wars 35mm monaural mix 1977
Star Wars 35mm Dolby stereo A type
Star Wars 70mm six-track Dolby stereo A type “baby boom.”
Star Wars 1993 THX laserdisc Dolby stereo
Star Wars special edition Dolby stereo SR-D THX 1997
Star Wars DVD special edition Dolby stereo digital surround-EX THX 2004

There is only one version I would like from that list and its this one! Star Wars 70mm six-track Dolby stereo A type “baby boom.” I don’t care how they do it, I know its doable with the technology on hand, George Lucas is holding out with stashed 70mm prints under his bed the greedy git.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Record companies and to some degree film studios are not doing the numbers they have to do to survive. They are, to put in in a word, "hurting".

What could be a better way, in their view of things, than to make A LOT OF MONEY (by not spending too much) releasing something over and over again for the "millions" that have not heard or seen the original but only heard ABOUT the original. In their view of things every time they remake something they can charge more for it since the cost of everything is going up and the consumer is use to paying more for everything.

In the case of Star Wars I personally much prefer the redone film with out all the scenes were you could see the animation as black squares moving along and without the film grain and the botched attempt with hiding the land speeder's undercarriage with a mirror in the original print.

As to remastered CDs some are GRRRRRRRREAT some are so so and some are really botched badly. I am a Simon and Garfunkel fan and I have at least six CDs with various attempts at re-mastering their songs. The original CD I have of them contains pops and clicks and I can only think that the record company in an attempt to get out CDs of their records simply took a record and dubbed it onto a CD. I also have some reissues that are wonderfully done and my favorite is the one that was done in Japan from the original multi-track masters.

If you don't like the current crop of reissues just wait a couple of months or years and someone somewhere will be bringing out yet another redone CD of the same material. It is called capitalism and greed and even though you do not like it - it must be working because the record companies and film studios keep doing it.

A friend of mine has two versions of Casablanca. One that was dubbed directly from the old film with all the scratches and change over marks still on it. The other one is digitally re-mastered and all I can say is WOW! It looks like the original print that was shown to the director and cast and is beautifully done. The first one is viewable but the redone one is simply awesome and shows how beautifully the art of B&W photography had become by the time the film was shot.

What ever floats your boat.....

Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I always thought Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake sounded great on those recordings.
+1!

Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post

Hey, you know, if you have a record player, you just go to the used LP store and get the original versions of that stuff. Usually for a buck or two.
I agree.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
RE: Ozzy remasters

Ummmmm....couple thoughts:

1) unless they've been re-done AGAIN (which they may have, I don't know) -those Ozzy re-masters were done about 10 years ago now

2) none of the 80's Ozzy records really sounded all that "spectacular" from an audiophile point of view anyway, and I don't think they were aiming for it either for what it's worth (early digital delays and reverbs anyone?) - perhaps we're giving the original issues too much credit?

just my thoughts--S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search