The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC

Just picked up 2 of these units from Michal.
Both converters are the Black Mastering versions capable of PCM rates up to 192 and DSD64fs as well as DSD128fs.

We're using one converter with SDIF-3 inputs and the other with USB. I've had them a few days and can say I prefer the Mytek in both PCM and DSD compared to the Korg MR2000s.

I have many files recorded into the Korg at DSD128fs and playing the same files through the computer into the Mytek, I much prefer the later. The headphone output is awesome as well. No grain in the upper freq. and enough bass to make your ear flap! I'm using Sen HD800 and Audeze LCD-3

For $1400, this DAC is a no brainer. I'm now doing comparisons with my highend converters now... stay tuned!

Thanks Michal!
Attached Thumbnails
Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC-photo.jpg  
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
we will!
I am very curious another product from mytek
great company and very very good converters
keep us updated
a little 'testing/testing' with well known contenders soon ?
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
we will!a little 'testing/testing' with well known contenders soon ?
along with the Korg MR2000s, I'll be doing comparisons with the DAD AX24, EMM Labs DAC8 IV, Playback Designs MPS-5 in DSD and the Weiss DAC1-MkII, Forssell MADA-2 and Lynx Hilo in PCM
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would say, last 3 will interest me the most..
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

I would be really stoked to hear a test using all of these great DACs. Thank you in advance sir!
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
We did a shootout a few years back and chose the 8x192, and later picked up the DSD card as well.

It's probably one of the very best converters I've heard.

Thor
Old 26th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
Both converters are the Black Mastering versions capable of PCM rates up to 192 and DSD64fs as well as DSD128fs.

We're using one converter with SDIF-3 inputs and the other with USB. I've had them a few days and can say I prefer the Mytek in both PCM and DSD compared to the Korg MR2000s.

I have many files recorded into the Korg at DSD128fs and playing the same files through the computer into the Mytek, I much prefer the later. The headphone output is awesome as well. No grain in the upper freq. and enough bass to make your ear flap! I'm using Sen HD800 and Audeze LCD-3

For $1400, this DAC is a no brainer. I'm now doing comparisons with my highend converters now... stay tuned!

Thanks Michal!
Could you share your impressions with us? I am so curious about the Mytek quality !!
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Nut

me too!
Old 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post

Thanks Michal!
How does the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC sound compared to the more expensive converters??
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin View Post
How does the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC sound compared to the more expensive converters??
I've had this in the system 24/7 for about 2 weeks now and can say I prefer this over the DAC section in the Korg MR2000s. This thing really shines in the bass department. The leading transients on plucked bass are sharp and authoritative. There is no grain or smearing in the high end. I can play the same DSD file from the Sonoma going through the PD MPS-5 and then from HQPlayer going into the Mytek and I prefer the bass from the Mytek! In the mid region, it’s an even playing field. I can’t tell them apart. On bells, cymbals, and recorded sibilance, I prefer the PB. It’s not night and day though and you can’t make the determination from an A/B comparison. The factor I go upon is, does it capture your attention when you’re doing something else? When I’m doing tape transfers, breaking in equipment and such, I do other things like editing or house cleaning. If I hear something out of the ordinary, I can immediately catch it. I was breaking in the Mytek and Muddy Waters was playing. I immediately stopped what I was doing and actually wanted to turn it up and listen! This thing got my attention. It’s something on the order of like listening to CD’s all day and then suddenly a 24-bit file gets played. It gets your attention and you don’t want to do anything else but relax and enjoy the music!
I'll try FLAC and wav files in the next week.
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've been trying out this DAC for the past couple of days as my monitor DAC (PCM only at this point)

Sounds great; extremely clear and detailed.

BUT ... there's a ~1-second lock-lag and occasionally some clicks when switching the source signal feeding its input (the AES input is fed by my Crookwood digital router).

I've grown acclimated to a DAC that switches pretty much instantaneously in the same role, making A/B comparisons at the source-selector much better.

I'm really not sure how comparable DACs (Weiss DAC2, Lavry, et al) would do in the same usage. The Mytek does sound excellent, but ...
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi Dave , I had the same hick- up with an apogee , switched to benchmark and all was okay ....

It would be interesting to use crookwood own DA I think ....
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
It would be interesting to use crookwood own DA I think ....
The Crookwood is a good one, but it's also the converter that the Mytek is auditioning to upgrade.

It's a tough call.. The fact that there's some occasional clicking in the Mytek's lock-lag is a little disconcerting, too.
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Things like that would irritate workflow way to much ... I guess you tried different clocking options ?
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
Things like that would irritate workflow way to much ... I guess you tried different clocking options ?
Well, the sources I'm switching between are fed by the same clock, but all signals come into the DAC simply via AES. The Crookwood DAC has no problem with this, but this one ... Yeah, the lag is annoying and the clicks, though inconsistent and fairly minor, are not so cool, either.

The thing sounds good enough to almost consider having two of them for easier A/B in the analog domain, but ... I'm going to try out some other options.
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

did you compare the mytek to the hilo? any thoughts.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
did you compare the mytek to the hilo? any thoughts.
I have on a lot of different material. Give me a ring please if you would like to chat about it.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I have on a lot of different material. Give me a ring please if you would like to chat about it.
thanks will keep that in mind, But a few weeks after I made that post I ended up getting a hilo. Love it, works for my needs right now.

The 1500$ price tag on the mytek is very attractive.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Addict

Any updates on these comparisons? Maybe?
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know. If you have any questions, issues with your Mytek converters or just want to inform us about anything please write an e-mail to me or call.

Have a great weekend.

Best
Adam
Old 2nd May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Don't forget the break-in time on the Mytek Stereo192.

Says on this review:
Quote:
"I did listen to the mastering version near the end of the review period, primarily to see if the 400-plus hours of playing time I had put on the standard version had any effect on the sound compared to a brand-new unit with no playing time. There was a profound difference. The unused mastering version had a midrange glare and harder edge that was not present in the broken-in sample. Anyone evaluating a Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC that has not been thoroughly broken-in hasn’t really heard how a Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC can sound. I recommend at least 200 hours with an active signal. I left my review sample tethered to a Logitech Duet tuned to my local public radio’s Internet feed for nearly two weeks before I placed it into my desktop system."
Here's the link to the review.

Three New DSD-Capable DACs | The Absolute Sound
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search