The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pair of tubetech EQ1 A(M) who works(ed) with them
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
pair of tubetech EQ1 A(M) who works(ed) with them

Next to my NSEQ-2 and Weiss I'm looking for some MAJOR analog EQ .... Sontech or Fairman TMEQ1 ... or these tubetech ( pair ) ...

Do you think 7 bands on a analog are way too-much ... Service to the tubetech is easy here in holland ...

what are the going prices on a good serviced sontech EQ ....

Please tell me what you guys think about it ...

greetings Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You want a MAJOR analog EQ? Try the SPL PQ EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl
Next to my NSEQ-2 and Weiss I'm looking for some MAJOR analog EQ .... Sontech or Fairman TMEQ1 ... or these tubetech ( pair ) ...

greetings Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
I have an SPL PQ EQ in for trial and it is an amazing unit. At 13 grand US, it is very expensive but the sound and flexibility is seductive. You mentioned you wanted a major eq and this certainly fits the bill(pun intended)!

This unit offers 2 separate modes. Proportion Q (variable, for creative work) and Constant Q (where the bandwidth does not change the amplitude so good for corrective work). The former is spectacular and the latter has a big problem.

The problem is that the Constant Q mode, in link mode, seems to be off by 10 Hz from side to side. We are dialoging with SPL to see if they consider this to be in spec for this mode of operation. They say they did an exhaustive burn-in and tested it completely and sound convinced that the unit is working as it should. If this is true, then I won't keep it.

Let's presume that the Constant Q can somehow calibrated. If so, we have here a spectacularly well-built unit with recallable settings, 2 types of eq (selectable on a band by band basis) and an amazing sound, unlike no other, at least that I've heard. Unlike other analog dual mono eqs, this unit has a link mode for all or any of the bands. Using it is somewhat like using my Weiss EQ as you only need to use one knob to control both sides.

Even at 13 grand, if one has the budget, this would be worth buying. However, I don't have an unlimited budget and vowed to myself that if this unit did not knock me out in every way, I would not keep it. So, if the Constant Q cannot be used the way I want to use it, I will not keep it. An important criterion for my one and only non-tube/non-digital precision analog eq is that I can notch out troublesome frequencies with ease. With the sides out this much (in link mode, which is the way I would want to use the unit most of the time), the notches are not clearly defined and not useful for corrective work.

I intend to write a review, one way or the other (although this is a very good start), for future prospective buyers. At the moment, there only seems to be one review in English on the entire internet and it is by a magazine reviewer, back a few years ago when the unit first came out. The only other endorsement one has to go on is that the distributor says that it is one of Bob Ludwig's favourite eqs. Fortunately for Bob, he has other analogue eqs for precision notching work and so can afford to own this unit for the wonderful sound of the Proportional eq. I, unfortunately, do not have that luxury!
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Nut

imo you should go for the faiman....

best eq i've ever tried ..... used it for four years and preferred it to anything else (eg. avalon/gml etc.)

tubetech is really good.... but has an unmistakable tubetech flavour to it.... and sometimes too soft in the bottom end
Old 17th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterstroem
imo you should go for the faiman....

best eq i've ever tried ..... used it for four years and preferred it to anything else (eg. avalon/gml etc.)

tubetech is really good.... but has an unmistakable tubetech flavour to it.... and sometimes too soft in the bottom end
I agree. Too fuzzy... If you ever need that "flavor" the source must be pretty darn screwed up!
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thank you for the replys ... I know a masteringhouse which works with the SPL here in holland .. personally I would not put that amount of money in a SPL unit ...

Fairman would be a option for a test here .... but i would like to know if a rev. sontech is in the same price league .....

greetings Wim
Old 26th July 2006
Here for the gear

Hi there, I recently bought a Sontec MEP 250 EX in immaculate condition (Euro 1500) and I must tell you the thing sounds fantastic - although I have not heard Fairman so cannot make a comparison here. On the Sontec everything sounds so smooth and yet alive ! This is one piece of equipment I use on everything that needs a touch of class added to it. Although it is not a mastering EQ I have mastered some songs using it and to my ears it is close enough, especially when you get the added benefit of the great sound ... BUT ....

Thats the good part now for the 'warning' ...

Beware because it is almost impossible to get replacement parts for the Sontecs, should anything go wrong. Burgess Macneal is living in Virginia somewhere and from what I understand is no longer actively involved in his business - even if in some threads I read he is still making EQs?? There are many people out there trying to either get their hands on Sontec parts (including yours truly) or trying to make clones using API or Jensen discrete opamps. The Sontec has handmade discrete output opamps, unfortunately with all the transistors blacked out you don't know what was used... My Sontec is treated like a baby with all the eletronic protection available looking after her for this reason...

I will also advise you that the Sontec MEP 250 models A, B and C have NE5532 opamps in the EQ section where as the EX model is fully discrete in the EQ and audio chain. Hope this helps your decision.

By the way any know where I can get Sontec opamps ... I want to have some spares on hand?

Cheers,
Coffeeman.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi Wim,

You may find the Massive Passive suitable for 'colour'. It is a very versitile EQ, and you can become quite creative with the curves once you get used to them.

It's kinda similar to the pultecs, not quite as sweet, but as a combination with the Weiss and NSEQ-2 I think you would be happy with the flexability and sound. Plus it is a very sexy and well made unit for the price.

I think I may have mentioned before that Manley also do a Pultec copy that may be worth comparing to the Tube techs. You couldn't go wrong either way.

You can NEVER have too many bands of EQ IMO.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
These are what you should buy:

http://www.vintageking.com/Used-Bran...7925-17924used

Can't recommend them highly enough!
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ben thanks for the link ... :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search