The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheapest decent subwoofer for mastering ??? Studio Monitors
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

Cheapest decent subwoofer for mastering ???

After the great post "cheapest decent speakers"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/67861-cheapest-decent-speakers-mastering.html

let´s talk about a good sub for mastering and low $

I have bluesky system one and I think low end is the best zone of this system, very accurate
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

I feel this is totally independant on your speaker system. It has to integrate seamlessly. Also subwoofer placment is a big issue. Even though bass frequencies are non-directional, it can play havoc with room boundries.
That being said, most manufacturers have done their homework/research and have built subs that integrate well with thier own monitors. Be careful mixing/matching.
Good brands to look for? REL and Velodyne

I'm using a Wilson WATCH Dog... but that's $12,500 !!!

Regards,
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Mackie HRS120 but I would only use it to fill in the low octaves 50Hz and under. If you are using it for more then that, change your satellite speakers.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to use a pair of Velodyne VX10's -- CHEAP - but quite nice for what I was using them for - Which was *just* filling in the ultra-lows a whisker.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

i have (going up in price)
- creative 5.1 (sub?? not even lows!! )
- yamaha ysw-45 (small, not really good, used as centerspeaker-sub)
- tannoy 15" sub (sucks)
- rel Q200 x2 (good for Hifi)
- mackie hrs-150 (now that's a sub, no comparison poss. with any of the above)

i would recommend a powerfull & big sub,
even at very low levels there is much more info and clarity if you have some reserve...

grtz,

wim
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Velodyne for sale if anyones interested.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Nut

TRY A USED

M&K ...they are jawdropping and very musical.
Old 23rd June 2006
Motown legend

Verified Member
Hsu gets my vote.
Old 23rd June 2006
Here for the gear

Currently using a Velodyne VRP-1000. Works well for my small room...
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
what about the Dynaudio BM9S ( for the BM5A) and BM12S?
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

I agree +++ with Bob's Hsu recommendation. I have been going on about those for a while, that is what I picked after many years with Infinity, Tannoy, Electrovoice, Paradigm, JBL, etc. Just no comparison at all, Dr. Hsu's designs are *true* subwoofers.

I got a pair of their cheapest STF-1 (used to be $249, now are $299 I think) just to try and see what they could do. Was expecting to have to trade them up to the VTF series or beyond. Well, that did not happen. These smallest subs perform effortlessly with clean output to 28 Hz, and fall off smoothly after that.

A big deal with Hsu products is the use of a 4th order crossover that can be set as low as 30 Hz. Perfect integration with all the mains I have tried, very fast and easy to dial in. Yes they are ported and that is not my favorite. But does not seem to hamper them as much as other ported models I have owned, they have a very clean sound and are *not* one-note thumpers. Another advantage is they don't weigh more than I do and are very compact. Easy to position.

30-day money back trial, can't go wrong. One of the best equipment values I have purchased.

Steve
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
I agree +++ with Bob's Hsu recommendation.
Me too. Squeegybug recommended them to me, and I bought a pair a year ago. Dr. Hsu sold them to me - he is a very nice, knowledgeable man. They sound great with my Von Schweikerts.
Old 6th April 2008
Has anyone ever tried a pair of SVS Subwoofers.

SVSound - Box Subwoofers - SVS SB12-Plus
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

i have bsky sub12 for sale

and i agree about the placement !
Old 12th April 2008
another vote for Hsu. Bought a pair of cylindrical passive 10 inchers in 1994 and have got nothing but compliments about the bass since. They still sound as good as when I got them. They are capable of making things rattle at frequencies too low to be heard as a pitch.
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

I just love posting on really old gearslutz threads. One of my fav things to do. That being said, the JBL LSR4312SP sub is a lil monster. It's a clean & deep sounding sub. Calibrate by ear w/ some material ur familiar with & away u go into the land of low end. It's $1K. Don't know if u consider that cheap or not. U get a lot of bang for ur buck w/ this & if u want to run a stereo pair of them u would be really well off IMO (for this budget $$ that is).

Last edited by Filthrill; 21st July 2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Very old topic and at the time the Focal CMS Sub did not exist...

Bob Hodas recommends it on Pensado's place, I had two and enjoyed them very much.

Also, don't buy subwoofers without variable phase adjustment as it will make them almost impossible to adjust and calibrate without it.
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
when I was looking for a sub supporting main monitors, I've found an article in SOS magazine, if I remember correctly, CLA was talking about what kind of sub he use during mixing,
he mention he use hifi sub and it works great,
so I did research on hifi sub market (more budget then pro-audio
and I got mj acoustics pro sub
closed construction, level phase and lfe filter
I set mine to work only from around 45-50Hz, when PMC tb2 start to loosing energy
it works great, and it took me some time to set it up correctly
anyway I'd love to get passive pmc subwoofer with crossover,
to give tb2 bit less work in sub area
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
These things are amazing and you can buy them completed, or Build the box yourself if your pretty handy with tools

Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products

I own a pair. Enjoy bud
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I plan to try out the Focal CMS sub in my new room, just for kicks really (excuse the pun) as I've never tried to calibrate a 2.1 system before. Just waiting on my new room first to see if it's even worth it, but it would be nice to see what the Focals would sound like with a little extension.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
These things are amazing and you can buy them completed, or Build the box yourself if your pretty handy with tools

I own a pair. Enjoy bud
These look really nice. Kinda looks like the Blue Sky subwoofer. Leave off the silver cone driver & it's pretty much the same price as the JBL LSR sub.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

I had a Blue Sky sub but it blew up on me on three separate occasions requiring me to ship it back to the company. Their power amps are questionable. I'd say avoid those if you can. YMMV.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

The best Sub is one that integrates pefectly with your monitors, so for this it really depends on what speakers you have in the control room.

Adam Audio have quite a comprehensive range depending on your speakers and they also work with other branded monitors. ATC and Focal also make decent Subs.

Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerk View Post
I had a Blue Sky sub but it blew up on me on three separate occasions requiring me to ship it back to the company. Their power amps are questionable. I'd say avoid those if you can. YMMV.
Yeah I think their hype came & went. Don't hear anything about BS anymore. Time for new (or old) players in the game.
Old 22nd July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post

I own a pair. Enjoy bud
I've heard nothing but good about these. I find their website a little confusing when just trying to find prices, though.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I've heard nothing but good about these. I find their website a little confusing when just trying to find prices, though.
Yeah but it doesn't hurt that they have kind words from people over at sterling

I tried them at the encouragement of an acoustician who give them the thumbs up. After trying them I fell in love. I love the fact that they go all the way down to 16hz and give me the opportunity to work down to the fundamental C note. Lots of other stuff out there, I'm sure, but the price point was excellent, for the one Velodyne or B&W I could get I got two of these. Financially it also made sense to me. I guess I'm just not about hype and more about trying things out and listening to how they work in my room. Heard them loved them.
Old 22nd July 2012
Did you get the DIY or pre-made version? Ported or sealed?

I like the idea of sealed and servo feedback.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I used to use a pair of Velodyne VX10's -- CHEAP - but quite nice for what I was using them for - Which was *just* filling in the ultra-lows a whisker.
do the tyler decade1 need additional subwoofers?
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
JL Audio Fathom were the best sounding of the one's we auditioned (including REL & Velodyne). We went with the f112 model.

JL Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search