The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Room pictures... Studio Monitors
Old 6th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
The Esotar tweeter is amazing, if slightly hyped if you look at it on paper. But in the box (or in the Eggleston, or older Sonus Fabers etc.) it's smooth as silk and as detailed as anything I've heard.
agreed! thumbsup
Old 10th January 2007
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi, Homero
I was downloading some pics here to show you and just found you right here!
Nice to see ya!!
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
off topic sorry.... Barry is a genius. His new Lathe setup/test LP is a life saver...

phil
Is that thing out yet? I gotta pick that up if it is.

I'm not using the SP66 transfer console that he maintains should be in the Smithsonian anymore. It was fun restoring it and assembling all the docs. I like the treasure hunt. I bet he's told to throw the other one away once a week. I'm just getting going in the new space with the SP75. I hope it sounds as good. I'm a little nervous it won't. That SP66 sounded fabulous. Tons of iron yet sounded pretty clean. Nothing ever sounded worse coming out the other side. The SP75 is an A/B console is much more flexible.
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by will q View Post
here's a shot.. room's good, still working on a few things...
Ferrari fan I see
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice grammaphone. I gotta cylinder type. Is yours a disk player? I can't tell from that tiny picture.
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nice grammaphone. I gotta cylinder type. Is yours a disk player? I can't tell from that tiny picture.
Thanks,,,,, i do all my mixe on this grammaphone..
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold View Post
Is that thing out yet? I gotta pick that up if it is.

I'm not using the SP66 transfer console that he maintains should be in the Smithsonian anymore. It was fun restoring it and assembling all the docs. I like the treasure hunt. I bet he's told to throw the other one away once a week. I'm just getting going in the new space with the SP75. I hope it sounds as good. I'm a little nervous it won't. That SP66 sounded fabulous. Tons of iron yet sounded pretty clean. Nothing ever sounded worse coming out the other side. The SP75 is an A/B console is much more flexible.
Hi Paul!

Yeah, it's out... haven't really used it yet but did some quick tones... it's gonna be good for some time to come.
It'll even help us calibrate our Mastering Lab Phono pre, as well which is a bitch to set up!

Nicely documented cut per cut on the back sleeve.

Get it!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Finally started taking some snap shots of my room so thought I'd bump this thread back up top for my contribution -

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
a great looking room...

Are you able to post pics of other rooms at Airshow?
I'd like to see Dominic's studio!

phil
Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay - best bet is to check out the website. All room pix and all gear lests (except Charlie's) have been updated. Dom's is Studio B.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaster View Post
Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay - best bet is to check out the website. All room pix and all gear lests (except Charlie's) have been updated. Dom's is Studio B.
Thanks, David!

I could get into some trouble in those rooms for sure.
Formidable!

One question though: Everyone has a Sontec except for you?

I thought you were the "Boss"?

Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Some great photos there. Bruce, nice colour scheme, too.

Our latest pics are on our website and a few extras on MySpace.
We'll be updating however when reconfiguring the rack with the Sontec. The Lavry Blue DACs (currently at rear of the rack to make space for the Gold ADC) and other stuff will go in the side rack.
We're looking forward to Room 2 (also Augspurger-designed) in the not too distant future too - it's all there, just needing finishings. And I'm loving these Duntechs and Legend subs. The big comfy black couch sits on a slightly raised floor area at the rear wall, so ear level there is still with tweeters. Nicely thought out - great work by Tony here & George A.

http://www.myspace.com/adamdempsey

Last edited by Adam Dempsey; 30th January 2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
One question though: Everyone has a Sontec except for you?

I thought you were the "Boss"?
Ha Ha! Goes to show it's the workman, not the tools (or something like that)

Here's my Sontec story. Charlie has my old Sontec which I purchased new from Burgess in 1995. In 1998 or so, after my move to Colorado, it started to develop, ahem, problems, which drove me f**king nuts. Needing equipment I could depend on I bought a Prism MEA-2 and sent the Sontec to Burgess; he fixed and returned it in record time - 2 months - and I bequethed it to Charlie since he's closer to Goldbond, VA if it came to that. Of course it's been trouble-free since then :( One of these days I'll get another one, but I've become so use to the stuff I have now.

Last edited by glassmaster; 30th January 2007 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: oops
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear
I'm self taught at a lot of things in music and audio. I see Bob Katz's room and it seems like a room you can get some meaningful work done in. I see some of these other rooms and wonder what's the big deal with the consoles, etc., blocking the loudspeakers. Am I seeing a defect in these rooms where none really exists?
Old 4th February 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves View Post
I'm self taught at a lot of things in music and audio. I see Bob Katz's room and it seems like a room you can get some meaningful work done in. I see some of these other rooms and wonder what's the big deal with the consoles, etc., blocking the loudspeakers. Am I seeing a defect in these rooms where none really exists?
You don't want consoles with a very large footprint, and you want them open underneath. You also don't want obstructions in the way of speakers, especially mids and tweeters. If the woofer looks a little low in a picture, it may not actually be that low where line of sight to the ear at the monitoring position is concerned, and also, low frequencies will diffract around objects, so you can sometimes get away with it, whereas with mids and tweets, they should be completely in the clear, and then some. Anything that creates a first specular reflection at the listening position is going to create comb filtering and cause trouble.

Without specific examples, I don't know which rooms you are talking about, and can't comment further. Most rooms have consoles, and with proper design and consideration, they don't detract from the monitoring, and indeed can be a great help with ergonomics and workflow. However, many rooms do have nightmare consoles and problems all over the place. It's something to minful of, but not to be paranoid about.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Just took some fresh photos of my small music temple

Main studio room:

The entrance room:

Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Just took some fresh photos of my small music temple
very nice
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Looks great, Ivo. It's well worth a money shot of the mastering position without using a flash though, in my humble (photography hobbyist) opinion.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomshanka View Post
It's well worth a money shot of the mastering position without using a flash though, in my humble (photography hobbyist) opinion.
Yes, it was just a quick pre-shot heh I will have a friend here with his huge dimmed lights and his "Crane Song" camera within few days, so more serious photos will be hopefully taken ...
Old 5th February 2007
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Very nice Ivo!

mmmm...yummy Gyrafs there.....heh
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I apologize if I will sound ignorant - because most of you are obviously all well established mastering guys...

So - I always thought that you position those big speakers in a really big room and listen from a fair distance - like say in a film mixing stage - a studio replica of a movie theatre... So I thought if you have big speakers with extended bass - you listen from a fair distance - so those long bass waves develop naturally - but from the pictures it looks like most of you are sitting in a nearfield position - like subwoofers in a BK studio only - what - 2m away? What am I missing, seeing, concluding wrong?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
I apologize if I will sound ignorant - because most of you are obviously all well established mastering guys...
So - I always thought that you position those big speakers in a really big room and listen from a fair distance - like say in a film mixing stage - a studio replica of a movie theatre...
Yep. Now I'm saving for a real big private theater. Cool.
Old 5th February 2007

Verified Member
Quote:

So - I always thought that you position those big speakers in a really big room and listen from a fair distance - like say in a film mixing stage - a studio replica of a movie theatre... So I thought if you have big speakers with extended bass - you listen from a fair distance - so those long bass waves develop naturally - but from the pictures it looks like most of you are sitting in a nearfield position - like subwoofers in a BK studio only - what - 2m away? What am I missing, seeing, concluding wrong?
Common misconception. You don't need to get very far back to hear the bass. It's a pressure wave that passes you and your ears react. Think about this one for a moment... how can you hear a 20 ft. wave (56.5 Hz) with eardrums that are so tiny?

Anyway, some very large speakers indeed are helped by having a larger room, but certainly not anything like the size of a dub stage for film. In a dub stage, you want a fair amount of reflection and some natural room reverberation so that you get an ambient feel that will match the end-user experience in a movie theater. Almost nobody listenes to music in a room that large. It's either a living room, or a car, or perhaps headphones and ear buds these days. Having a very large, live room like a dub stage would not be the best reference environment for music. Still, a very small room is bad for low end because of the modal response, and large, full-range speakers played even moderately loud can overload a small room.

Most mastering engineers really don't listen in the close field, but rather in the mid field. You do want full range speakers rather than bookshelf sized monitors, and many models are quite happy in the mid field. You are also limited as to where your listening position should optimally be due to the room dimensions. You don't want to be in the center, and ideally should be at least 10 feet away or more from the rear wall if you are using rear wall mid-band diffusion. Something like a very large Dunlavy needs to be a bit farther away from the listening position than some monitors simply because there are so many drivers in such a large array that you want to be far enough away that everything combines into one wavefront so you aren't getting a disjointed sound, or hearing more of one driver than another.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, this misconception was brought on by mixing engineers that said they can Master. Unfortunately this has become more the norm than not. I see time and time again that clients say "I don't have enough for Mastering". Hell.. .I'm sure most of us would work with these people. I've even seen Mastering for $50. If you can't afford $50... then.. tutt
Listening in the mid/far field has more to do with spatial presentation than bass response. Jay explained the bass part... now the spatial part is when the soundstage has a 3 dimensional character. It has width and depth. You can tell that the drums are in the back and the guitars/vocal is in the front.
If you are going 5.1 or 7.1, the rooms have to be even bigger to get the correct angles of the speakers.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanx guys, I appreciate it. I thought about the distance really more in a way of hearing the space as you explained well, feeling the bass as it evolves more - less pressure more diffusion - but really - as you said well - people don't listen in the theatres - maybe a nice way to master classical music ? On a film dubbing stage with mastering tools? Just kidding. So I guess mid-field it is. The distances on the pictures are probably looking even shorter because of the photo angle and the size of those speakers

And really (keep saving yareck ) - I can't think of a more satisfiying listening situation than a well equipped movie theatre with a well mixed sound of the movie. Well, surround helps a bit. But would prefer to listen to stereo music in such a big space - to just fall into the sound picture.

Thanx again. Best.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Home.....

GR
Rare Form Mastering
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-rfm-main.jpg   More Room pictures...-rfm-rear.jpg  
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
Home.....

GR
Rare Form Mastering
THAT, is one rude room!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
Home.....

GR
Rare Form Mastering
Hey Greg nice looking room you've got there with a good ceiling height too by the looks of it. Just out of curiousity are those Tannoy's your main monitors for mastering? Do you have any subs or any other monitors?

M
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks. I'm very happy with this new room.

I've been using Tannoys forever. Got my first set in the late 70s (Cheviot). Still have them somewhere. I've had these DMT 10s for about 14 years now. The crossovers have been modified but they still sound like Tannoys (for better or worse...). Bottom line is I know them very well. They're certainly not pretty but they have served me well over the years. I have custom subs from Biro Technology (Mithat Konar).

That said, I've had a case of speaker lust lately. I'm having a few shipped in for a listen. PMC IB2, Lipinski, B&W 802n to start. After building this room less than a year ago I think my trusty old Tannoys are now the weak link.

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Now it's my room. After 2-3 years I plan to build a house and a bigger mastering room...
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-obraz-001.jpg   More Room pictures...-obraz-002.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search