The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Room pictures... Studio Monitors
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Hey Streaky,
I was there in the fall of 2002 (or was it 2003?). One of the more "alive" coolvibe mastering studios in London that I visited. I remember Kevin Metcalf chain-smoking, swearing and laughing a lot. I think he had just done a Paul Weller record.

Gordon Vicary was there at that time. Is he still there?

I consider those PMC BB5 mains one of the best sounding speakers ever. I'd still like to get a pair but they are very expensive in North America

Phil
Hey Phil
Thanks for the nice comments mate

Gordon was here, he actually left us in early 2005 and in fact left the whole industry, or at least that was his plan. Kevin is actually attempting to give up smoking as his new year's resolution...he's doing ok so far. He still swears a lot, and laughs a fair bit but never at himself (joke...honest). 2003 Sounds about right for doing a Paul Weller record, he's done the last 4 albums since Illumination.

And yeah the BB5s are pretty awesome, can't really beat them for cranking a track up! It may please you to know that they are hideously expensive here too : (

By the way our assistant here Alex has friends in Toronto - what are the chances of a guided tour of the Lacquer Channel next time he's visiting?
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky View Post
Hey Phil

2003 Sounds about right for doing a Paul Weller record, he's done the last 4 albums since Illumination.
Yes! It was Illumination... I also remember Underworld and Zero7. I have 'em all...love 'em all.

Quote:
By the way our assistant here Alex has friends in Toronto - what are the chances of a guided tour of the Lacquer Channel next time he's visiting?
Anytime. No problem. In fact, definitely send him over... 'cause I need a new assistant. I'll up my profanity a bit so he feels right at home!

Phil
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaster View Post
...and another one.
a great looking room...

David, there's just no way it's this clean all the time???

Are you able to post pics of other rooms at Airshow?
I'd like to see Dominic's studio!

phil
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
a great looking room...

David, there's just no way it's this clean all the time???
Thanks! Actually, I'm a nuerotic nut for neatness in my workspace, so it's usually pretty orderly. Cables & wire, in particular, drive me crazy, so they're all safely stowed & out of sight.

Quote:

Are you able to post pics of other rooms at Airshow?
I'd like to see Dominic's studio!

phil
I'll have to dig for a pic of Dom's lair, but the latest shot is on our website. We've recently remodeled Charlie's room in Virginia, and Jim Wilson's room; those shots should be on the website soon, but I'll see if I can find them sooner.

BTW, the pretty pictures on your Lacquer Channel website inspired us to look into the new line of Sterling Modular furniture, and we chose a 3-bay unit for Jim's room.
Old 5th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
I consider those PMC BB5 mains one of the best sounding speakers ever. I'd still like to get a pair but they are very expensive in North America
Have you heard them in Hank's room (Russ Berger designed) at Mastermix Nashville? They sound stunning. It's a 5.1 setup (smaller MB-1s in back). They're vertical instead of side by side, and free-standing instead of soffited. They work very well in that room.
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll have to dig for a pic of Dom's lair, but the latest shot is on our website. We've recently remodeled Charlie's room in Virginia, and Jim Wilson's room; those shots should be on the website soon, but I'll see if I can find them sooner.
Please do!

Quote:
BTW, the pretty pictures on your Lacquer Channel website inspired us to look into the new line of Sterling Modular furniture, and we chose a 3-bay unit for Jim's room.
Thank you, so far so good with the furniture. We have the "ikea" versions of the SM design. There is one that ships already built that is really expensive! Leon Zervos' room at Sterling in NYC is - by a country mile - the nicest looking design to come from SM.
It's not even wood. It's "gray" and very "moderne" looking. I'd probably get in trouble if I posted a picture.

Phil
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Have you heard them in Hank's room (Russ Berger designed) at Mastermix Nashville? They sound stunning. It's a 5.1 setup (smaller MB-1s in back). They're vertical instead of side by side, and free-standing instead of soffited. They work very well in that room.
Never been to Nashville, but I know about Hank. I agree the room and speaker have to work together. Lots of guys who buy Wilson's or the bigger B&W's for their project studios find themselves in trouble.

Have you heard the Dynaudio C4 stereo and 5.1 setup at Sterling? Best speaker in that building. Chris Athens likes to really rub the impressiveness in when I'm down there but he doesn't have to do that with the C4's. They make their own impression just fine.

Very few out there...seemingly unknown as a mastering speaker?

phil
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Seeing as nobody's posted a picture for a while...here's one of our main room, taken last spring
nice room. pic is from the sound on sound piece? or am i wrong?

markus

www.audiobuff.se
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Okay, just a small project-mastering studio .... but did more than 100 projects last year, 3 day's normal job, three little kids and my wife ... oops .. busy !!!

updated picture from the right, analog chain is in the back ... will be re-designing my room in a couple of month's ...

regards Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus enochson View Post
nice room. pic is from the sound on sound piece? or am i wrong?

markus

www.audiobuff.se
Yes and no! It's just a photo taken of our studio by Pete Cronin that we gave SOS to use in a piece on online mastering services. I wasn't sure whether to use the one with the yellow filter or the blue filter...they both look nice : )
Old 5th January 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Seeing as nobody's posted a picture for a while...here's one of our main room, taken last spring
Looks like you've got a beautiful room. I'm impressed. I've been in many well-appointed rooms, but my room is more "acoustics first, beauty second."

BK
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Nut

My humble mastering suite - all suggestions considered!

-D
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Streaky,

I see you're using a Maselec console, too. We have a slightly different configuration with one MTC-2 and an MTC-6. Great piece if kit, as you guys say.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Never been to Nashville, but I know about Hank. I agree the room and speaker have to work together. Lots of guys who buy Wilson's or the bigger B&W's for their project studios find themselves in trouble.

Have you heard the Dynaudio C4 stereo and 5.1 setup at Sterling? Best speaker in that building. Chris Athens likes to really rub the impressiveness in when I'm down there but he doesn't have to do that with the C4's. They make their own impression just fine.

Very few out there...seemingly unknown as a mastering speaker?

phil

Phil,

I'd prefer if you keep the way I "rub the impressiveness in" between us.

..I mean really.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Phil,

I'd prefer if you keep the way I "rub the impressiveness in" between us.

..I mean really.
There! see what i mean?

Dude, why do i keep putting up with this?

don't answer that.

phil
Old 6th January 2007
Here for the gear

Reference Mastering Photos

Some photos from Reference Mastering Studio

http://www.referencestudio.com.br
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-geral1.jpg   More Room pictures...-panoramica25.jpg  
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homero View Post

Whew! Thanks!

let's move on...

...rethink those PS Audio AC generators.... caps dry up in a matter of months... they use 4 watts to give you one back. I promise you that plugging back into regular outlet will sound better. I "had" one.

Brilliant concept though...

phil
Old 6th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Whew! Thanks!

let's move on...

...rethink those PS Audio AC generators.... caps dry up in a matter of months... they use 4 watts to give you one back. I promise you that plugging back into regular outlet will sound better. I "had" one.

Brilliant concept though...

phil
Indeed, nowadays I am using only one unit (300 watts) for the analog chain, the 1300 watts unit almost have burned itself.
Old 6th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
I've heard them in a couple environments, but not at Sterling. Chris hasn't invited me up yet... ;-)
The place I actually got to listen for real in a good environment was over at NRG studios out in L.A. Jay Baumgardner has them as his main mix monitor in the "raven room," the one with the black trimmed 9000J and the goth decor. The things do indeed sound very good (as did his mix that day). With my known preference for mid domes, a la ATC and Quested etc., they fit my tastes. The Esotar tweeter is amazing, if slightly hyped if you look at it on paper. But in the box (or in the Eggleston, or older Sonus Fabers etc.) it's smooth as silk and as detailed as anything I've heard. A sub helps, but you can cross it (or filter it) pretty low. I could definitely work on C4s.
Old 6th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
You've clearly got too much dcs gear.... You should send me some...
Old 6th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
You've clearly got too much dcs gear.... You should send me some...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/thumb.gif I started with a trio AD, DA, DD then a had a good lucky when a guy that have tried to make some recordings in DSD sold the other trio for me for a very nice price and 12 months to pay for !
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris hasn't invited me up yet... ;-)
I'm sure he'll invite ya... You're not Canadian are you? (that's where the "rubbing" started...)

phil
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Actually, this must be a different C4? I haven't heard these ones?

I'm referring to these:

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=287

phil
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I've heard them in a couple environments, but not at Sterling. Chris hasn't invited me up yet... ;-)
The place I actually got to listen for real in a good environment was over at NRG studios out in L.A. Jay Baumgardner has them as his main mix monitor in the "raven room," the one with the black trimmed 9000J and the goth decor. The things do indeed sound very good (as did his mix that day). With my known preference for mid domes, a la ATC and Quested etc., they fit my tastes. The Esotar tweeter is amazing, if slightly hyped if you look at it on paper. But in the box (or in the Eggleston, or older Sonus Fabers etc.) it's smooth as silk and as detailed as anything I've heard. A sub helps, but you can cross it (or filter it) pretty low. I could definitely work on C4s.

Come on up!
I've got mine crossed over so the mid driver is workin pretty hard [my man Barry Wolifson made the crossover for me a la casa]. I can't blast em quite as loud that way but they sound better [and they get loud enough for me].
Old 6th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
I'm sure he'll invite ya... You're not Canadian are you? (that's where the "rubbing" started...)

phil
Ooooh, with a comment like that, you're just asking for Canadian jokes.... must.... resist...
Part of the wife's family is, so I'd better keep my mouth shut.
Old 6th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Come on up!
I've got mine crossed over so the mid driver is workin pretty hard [my man Barry Wolifson made the crossover for me a la casa]. I can't blast em quite as loud that way but they sound better [and they get loud enough for me].
Next time I'm in town I'm callin'!
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Come on up!
off topic sorry.... Barry is a genius. His new Lathe setup/test LP is a life saver...

phil
Old 6th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Actually, this must be a different C4? I haven't heard these ones?

I'm referring to these:

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=287

phil
Those monitors are from Dynaudio's Hi-Fi Line

http://www.dynaudio.com

The model is "Confidence C4" under the Confidence Line Tab,

They are not amplified monitors.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Two questions to throw out:

- What is the sonic difference between the Confidence C4 and the C4's in Chris' room at Sterling?

- Has anyone heard of Dynaudio Temptation monitors? Is anyone using them for mastering?
Old 6th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
but my room is more "acoustics first, beauty second."

no sh*t?

you could have fooled me

you do great work sir!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search