The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Room pictures... Studio Monitors
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Groove
Good gosh! Looks like an extremely comfy living room. Give me a room like that and I'll probably fall asleep on occasion while working. :D
Who is to say Bob does not. heh I mean come on the old saying "I can do that in my sleep" might just be true.

Glenn
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Guru

Bob,

> I'm definitely in experiment mode. Can elaborate on that... is that fix an enhancement or a bug? :-) :-) <

It's neither, it just is. For most rooms, the balance of absorption versus frequency of our traps is about ideal. The side openings are part of the equation. But in this case you already have enough treatment for mids and highs, and just want more bass absorption from our traps with less mid/high absorption.

If your MondoTraps were mounted straddling the corners I'd suggest taping a triangle shaped piece of heavy cardboard above and below, to cover those openings. As you have it now, with two traps flat on the wall in each corner, the main "entry point" for mids and highs is the side slots. This is not the first time this has come up! heh

--Ethan
Old 15th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
Bob,

If your MondoTraps were mounted straddling the corners I'd suggest taping a triangle shaped piece of heavy cardboard above and below, to cover those openings. As you have it now, with two traps flat on the wall in each corner, the main "entry point" for mids and highs is the side slots. This is not the first time this has come up! heh

--Ethan
Gotcha... well, cardboard covers coming up! I should do that BEFORE considering the diffusors.

BK
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
Who is to say Bob does not. heh I mean come on the old saying "I can do that in my sleep" might just be true.

Glenn
LOL

And who has not fallen asleep after a 20 hour session.... I know I have.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Doesn't the couch give you back problems?

I think that when making long days an Aeron chair would be more comfortable...
Old 18th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg

I think that when making long days an Aeron chair would be more comfortable...
I've never used an Aeron. So far, so good. It's a very comfortable couch. We'll see after a few weeks of it, it's a new couch. I've done up to 4-8 hour days, but you get up frequently to exercise anyway. Anyway, it seats up to four so it's a good way to join the clients for an "intimate" session.

BK
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg
I was wondering something similar but rather about the placement of the rack. Doesn't it give back problems having to lean over so low to adjust the gear?

(I understand why the rack is where it is. Just wondering about possible back pain).

Alistair
Old 18th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow
I was wondering something similar but rather about the placement of the rack. Doesn't it give back problems having to lean over so low to adjust the gear?

(I understand why the rack is where it is. Just wondering about possible back pain).

Alistair

It's ok, I have long arms. :-). I am not an expert on back pain, but every day I go to the gym and do the abs and the machine that lets me lean back while pulling weights. 30 times each with 100 pounds. My back hasn't felt better in 50 years. I used to get occasional back pains lifting, but that is gone. Maybe that counteracts the stuff I do in the studio, I don't know.

I have to lean very far to the right or left to get to some of the knobs on the far left or right, but so far, so good. Maybe we should consider it exercise? Gotta say limber. Annna one anna two anna....
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Hah! Studio work as exercise.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Alistair
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb
I especially like the blue and red curtains Bob!

JT
Yes Bob, please take note! If you want to improve the cosmetics in your studio more, for goodness sake get rid of those tacky pink & blue curtains! lol

Jokes aside, it's good to see you putting in some bass trapping & improving the acoustics more. It's been a couple of years since I've been in your room & you may remember me mentioning the low mid lump I perceived in your room? I bet you've got it pretty well sorted now, with the Lipinski's & the added LF absorption.

I'm still not 100% happy with my room acoustics, I feel my room is a bit too dead sounding & may require a bit more diffusion added back in to livin up the room a bit more. But like you I have my studio in my house & need to make do with the size & shape of the room to a large extent. It's never going to be perfect, the biggest problem I've found with moving speakers, changing your sub or adjusting any part of your monitoring chain is that you lose your reference point & have to re-learn a different sound & trust it will translate to the outside world. This can be quite disconcerting if you don't have a good amount of time to experiment between jobs.

Matt
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz
Good points, all! The X-250 I bought because it sounded great. I was once a big fan of Class A and I had a Krell. Then I switched to the Hafler, which sounded great for many years until I got the Lipinskis, which ate the Hafler and spit it out raw. So then I tried and tried to avoid Class A, but in the end I had to do it, there's some magic in the Pass that I did not find in any other amp. The most powerful Bryston had enough of a grain or hardness and not enough depth to please me, and its bass was not as deep or solid as the Pass. A lot of this just has to do with how many joules there are in the power supply!

According to the bias meter and at the SPLs I'm running my Pass, I don't think I've ever seen it switch out of Class A. But the bias meter is relatively slow and it might switch momentarily on peaks for all I know. 75 watts is the crossover point if I recall correctly, and that's a lot of poost!

Now, that said, audiophiles are turning around about Class D. The new Evo amp from.... is reported to be much better. All the Class D amps are getting better. I ALMOST bought the previous Evo model, its midrange and high end were closest to the Pass.

So, anyway, I'm REALLY hoping the new Class D amp from Lipinski will equal or better the Pass. I can't afford, for many reasons, including money, to run 5 equal channels of Pass, when I move to surround.
Thanks for the comments Bob.Actually the reason I asked was because when I auditioned the X-250 I was thinking to myself -man,that's gonna make one hell of an amp for a mastering setup-because it was so transparent and devoid of any coloration and almost to a point of being too transparent for non-critical listening.I have the same experience as you have with Brystons-I find them slightly grainy.I have to listen to the Evo now
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member

a vieuw from the couch .... they all get smilling when they hear the low-end ...

not to bad for a start ...

greetings wim/inlinemastering
Old 20th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl

a vieuw from the couch .... they all get smilling when they hear the low-end ...

not to bad for a start ...

greetings wim/inlinemastering

Looks like the lens was coated with LSD. But seriously, put a mirror on the coffee table and find out where the tweeter reflections are headed. Same of course for the floor.

The right way is to do time-domain analysis and fix any spikes within about 20 ms and 15 dB (or more if possible) of the direct sound.

BK
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Looks like the lens was coated with LSD. But seriously, put a mirror on the coffee table and find out where the tweeter reflections are headed. Same of course for the floor.

The right way is to do time-domain analysis and fix any spikes within about 20 ms and 15 dB (or more if possible) of the direct sound.

BK
Hi, Bob

well we all smoke weed here :-( ..... but a carpet would be an option .. thanks for the tip, the rest of the room, like walls and ceilling are treated OK for where the high-end reflections are going ... bass-trapping is really OK .. the low-end is always turning out OK .. accordingly to my clients ...

I forgot about the floor .. but it feels like riding my skateboard in a halfpipe ..... so much fun ..... have to go .. three little kids are waiting for their dad to take them for a bike ride into the woods ( sun is shining ) and they're making to much noise to continue ..

Wim
Old 20th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Hi, Bob

well we all smoke weed here :-( ..... but a carpet would be an option .. thanks for the tip, the rest of the room, like walls and ceilling are treated OK for where the high-end reflections are going ... bass-trapping is really OK .. the low-end is always turning out OK .. accordingly to my clients ...

I forgot about the floor .. but it feels like riding my skateboard in a halfpipe ..... so much fun ..... have to go .. three little kids are waiting for their dad to take them for a bike ride into the woods ( sun is shining ) and they're making to much noise to continue ..

Wim
You might try a very small area rug so as not to ruin the effect of that beautiful floor. If the total high frequency/low frequency balance in the room feels right, then you only need to treat any areas of the floor that may be causing a direct reflection back into the ear.

I love slipping and sliding on a beautiful wood floor!
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
......well we all smoke weed here :-( ..... but a carpet would be an option .. thanks for the tip, the rest of the room, like walls and ceilling are treated OK for where the high-end reflections are going ... bass-trapping is really OK .. the low-end is always turning out OK .. accordingly to my clients ...

I forgot about the floor .. but it feels like riding my skateboard in a halfpipe ..... so much fun ..... have to go .. three little kids are waiting for their dad to take them for a bike ride into the woods ( sun is shining ) and they're making to much noise to continue .....

This just stuck out to me as amusing.thumbsup
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

I dig your lamp man.........

mine was left behind in the dirty garage from the previous owner.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-studio-pix-020.jpg  
Old 30th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed littman
I dig your lamp man.........

mine was left behind in the dirty garage from the previous owner.

Ed
Oh, cute. I want one!

BK
Old 30th June 2006
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i've admired Eds lamp for sometime now.
but i have a thing for lights and lamps
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, cute. I want one!

BK
I have one for sale! heh

/Cojo
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ed and Ethan you must have liked all those B SF movies form the 60 and 70's ... my parents used to have one of those lamps in the 70's ... when I watched all those "scary" SF movies alone .. in black/white .. but with tubes in the TV ...

Beautiful rooms !!!

Greetings

Wim

ww.inlinemastering.com
Old 1st July 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Ed and Ethan you must have liked all those B SF movies form the 60 and 70's ... my parents used to have one of those lamps in the 70's ... when I watched all those "scary" SF movies alone .. in black/white .. but with tubes in the TV ...

Beautiful rooms !!!

Greetings

Wim

ww.inlinemastering.com
I especially liked that Sci-Fi film "The Day The Lamp Stood Still."
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

Beautiful rooms !!!

Greetings

Wim

ww.inlinemastering.com

Thanks!
speaking of movies...this lamp was in the movie good fellas at henry's girlfreinds pad.

Bob Grab it fast.......
Ed
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bob,

> the measured response at the listening position with 2.7 Hz analysis is still rather rocky. I honestly don't know how much "better" "better" can sound, since I've rarely heard another treated room with flatter or more extended bass than I currently have. <

It's impossible to get any room perfectly flat - at least a room the size you'll find in most homes. The flattest and tightest room I've ever heard and measured is my own living room, shown in the photo and waterfall below, but I have 39 traps in there. heh

If you can get the response within a total span of 10 dB you're doing very well, and if you can get it to with 6 dB you could probably franchise the design and layout for a million dollars.

--Ethan

I've watched a few really good films in that room !!!

Ed
Old 7th July 2006
Here for the gear

my few cents

here's a shot.. room's good, still working on a few things...
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-p2-6-18-06-smaller.jpg  
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Will,

Nice room... is that "Dave from Wendy's" attending a session at the back of the room?

I actually thought it was UE's room but this is the suite next to Gehringer's, right?

I see some gear he used to use... isn't there supposed to be a Neve EQ in that rack, Will? (right side)
(I got a working one for sale, btw..)

I aslo see the Digi002 (which I totally love but haven't figured out my best way to situate it in my room)... and notice that I don't see a computer close by.
Do you keep the FW drives and computer far away from the unit? Is the WClock near the 002?

Thanks,

phil
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo
I have one for sale! heh

/Cojo
But is it the real vintage one or just a remake we do not want a lamp that could compromise our real vintage studio light
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear

Phil - good eyes, that's the room after much work (and still tweaking). The neve is out getting cleaned up. I run the 002 with the Mac Mini and I keep a few clock options around the corner near the front of the console.

Will
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just thought I'd toss in a pic of our Studio A :-0
Attached Thumbnails
More Room pictures...-terranova06f.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2006

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Just thought I'd toss in a pic of our Studio A :-0
Showing off the groovy new speakers! Cool!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search