The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SADIE what do you think? DAW Software
Old 8th June 2006

Verified Member
SADIE what do you think?

This is a post that I've put on the PSW mastering forum and I apologize if you've already seen it, but this is an important decision for me and I want to make sure that I get as much feedback as possible. So if you didn't see this before and have some relevant info I'd really appreciate your experiences.

I've been using my Sonic Solutions DAW for about 8 years and have been very happy with the results, until recently. I'm convinced that the Sonic is on its last legs and since there doesn't appear to be a Sonic "solution" currently available I have been looking at two options to replace my old machine.
One of those options is to go to the Sadie rack mounted 4 channel mastering unit. The other option is going to a custom configured PC using pieces from several mfg's. I am not experienced in the PC world so would be relying on someone else to put this together for me. Tom Bethel has been very kind in sharing his experience and time with me and if I go that route I will have a machine built to his design.
I'm comfortable with that, but since I have used "turn-key" solutions in the past the Sadie looks good to me. I've also had several of my past projects go thru Sadies and felt the final output was to a very high standard.
Of course the Sadie is more expensive. But it is currently much less than I had seen in the past and with the selling of some equipment I can make the stretch.
My style of mastering currently employs outside analog and digital processing so plug ins etc. aren't my biggest concerns. Audio quality, user interface, reliability and support are very important to me.
So, what say ye?
Is the Sadie a thing of joy to own and use? Or would you buy something else if you had to replace your system today?
Thank you very much for your time and thoughts,
Rick Sutton
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

I've used the DSD8 for a while but I believe SADiE has stopped production/support of this unit. They still update and support the PCM side regularly. Which reminds me, I need to download ver. 5.5.1
It's the best "all-in-one" unit that I have ever used. I also like the Master/Fader control surfaces that go with it. It's especially useful for surround Mastering. If you are going to be using outboard, I'd definately look into the Balanced (BOB 800B) option.
You can do DDP images of your final pre-master with checksum with many options for dithering. I'd certainly buy one again!
If you want something more economical, I'd suggest going the Sequoia route and mix/match converters. A good Sequoia unit with Prism converters would be just as good and also allow you more options. As always...YMMV..

Regards,
Old 9th June 2006
Mastering

For you, Rick, in your application, SADiE will truly be a joy to use. You'll get the tech support and performance and reliability and sonic quality that you dreamed you'd get from your Sonic. Where SADiE 5 PCM-8 is weak is in the area of plug-in bandwidth. As long as you're using outboard or VERY FEW if any plugins, you'll love your SADiE and get more work done with less hassle than you ever dreamed.

That said, yes, Sequoia is much cheaper than SADiE. I would recommend Sequoia if you're a reasonable do-it-yourselfer and can handle a little less strong tech support. You can also get a Sequoia turnkey system made for you for more money, but less than the cost of a SADiE. I'm considering moving to Sequoia if only for the reasons of plugins. Not because of any other weakness in SADiE.

BK
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I don't recall if this was mentioned on PSW, but have you looked into Soundblade?

http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/...ndblade01.html
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Addict

I LOVE using the SADiE DSD/PCM-8 in mastering. It is indeed supported by SADiE.
Old 20th June 2006

Verified Member
Well, after all the dust has cleared and I took a few u turns, I sent the deposit check off to Sadie today. Had several talks with Sonic, but they just can't seem to get Soundblade on the street and I thought that the choice of the Metric Halo interface was just too odd to pay over $2000 for the AES I/O that I would need. The interface had mic pre's, converters, digital signal processing, all kinds of stuff that I wouldn't use. Also, the thought of being a very early adopter had me worried. Looked at Sonic's lower price solution but it wouldn't record so that wasn't an option. Almost had a PC built, but that got difficult to get in a timely manner.......so it's onward and upward and time to learn the Sadie way of doing things.
Thanks for everyone's input, I feel that it is a move that I can be comfortable with and not want to move up to something better in the near future. Sonic was good for my business and I stayed with it for 8 years. Hopefully Sadie will be as good to me.
Rick
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton
Thanks for everyone's input, I feel that it is a move that I can be comfortable with and not want to move up to something better in the near future. Sonic was good for my business and I stayed with it for 8 years. Hopefully Sadie will be as good to me.
Rick
You made the right choice.
You should get many years of enjoyment!

Regards,
Old 5th September 2009
Mastering

Dear All: I am selling one of my two SADiE systems, loaded with thousands of dollars of CEDAR noise-reduction EXTRAS and mastering extras. I hope it is not inappropriate to post the ebay link here. My apologies if this is not correct form for Gearslutz, in which case, please ask me to remove this post!

SADiE System 5 Mastering DAW Loaded with extras! - eBay (item 220476270829 end time Sep-14-09 19:00:30 PDT)
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
Dear All: I am selling one of my two SADiE systems, loaded with thousands of dollars of CEDAR noise-reduction EXTRAS and mastering extras. I hope it is not inappropriate to post the ebay link here. My apologies if this is not correct form for Gearslutz, in which case, please ask me to remove this post!

SADiE System 5 Mastering DAW Loaded with extras! - eBay (item 220476270829 end time Sep-14-09 19:00:30 PDT)
Sequoia here we come, is it?
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
Sequoia here we come, is it?

I'd be lost without Sequoia! Absolutely love it.
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Sadie now native.
SADiE News page
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Sadie now native.
SADiE News page

What great news, i had a feeling that this would eventually happen. i guess that a native Pro Tools will not be far behind
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Sadie now native.
SADiE News page
A bit later than I suspected, but good to hear nonethless - thanks David. I'm comfortable with my SADiE hardware for the moment, but a native solution running on a laptop may well be in my future for uploads and other tasks - I look forward to sitting out in the garden on a nice day with a pair of cans doing the odd (some of them very odd!) edit or simple compilation, for example.
Old 6th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Anyone knows how much it wil cost?
Old 6th September 2009

Verified Member
Since this post has been resurrected I thought I'd give an update.
3 years in on the Sadie now and very happy with the move to a new platform.
I still have the old Sonic system around but after learning Sadie I find that I never turn the Sonic on anymore.....so much for "old loves"!
Anyway, all's good..........cheers,
Rick
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i've been using sadie for a good few years now...i have version 5.62. we changed over, rather than go to sonic solutions hd system. sonics seemed primative in a complicated way where as sadie was the opposite. i wouldn't be without it
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
3 years in on the Sadie now and very happy with the move to a new platform.
Good for you Rick, glad it worked out.

I have an ME friend who's really struggling with another DAW at the moment, and I feel quite guilty that SADiE has been on the whole (touch wood etc.) so trouble-free.

Certainly being only a one-hour drive from Prism HQ at Stretham does no harm: had a recent lightning strike/power outage which caused various wierdnesses, the excellent Mark O got me back up in half a day. That'll teach me not to have a surge-protected UPS, but I've learnt my lesson now and that 'shot across the bows' could have been so much worse.
Old 6th September 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
Anyone knows how much it wil cost?
I can't say anymore, but it will be very affordable! with good upgrade paths.

I'm excited about it. Saw it running on a laptop, all good!

-T
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
I can't say anymore, but it will be very affordable! with good upgrade paths.

I'm excited about it. Saw it running on a laptop, all good!

-T
Quote:
The new products are application based and are focusing on the core SADiE expertise of Radio Production, TV/Film Post, Mastering, Archiving & Restoration, and high-level Sound Design
The above Quote from the Sadie news page, Do you know if their will be one exclusively for good old MTR and Mixing ?
Old 7th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
This is going to put the willies up the other DAW manufacturers.
That's possible, but it remains to be seen what the price point is and how reliable and flexible the new systems will be. Also, there have been a number of other native DAWs out there for some time with consequent maturity and loyal user bases - Prism will be well aware there's quite a lot of catchup to play in that specific market area.
Old 7th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, there have been a number of other native DAWs out there for some time with consequent maturity and loyal user bases - Prism will be well aware there's quite a lot of catchup to play in that specific market area.
Today 07:25 AM

Indeed, this may have come a little to late.
Old 7th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
That's possible, but it remains to be seen what the price point is and how reliable and flexible the new systems will be. Also, there have been a number of other native DAWs out there for some time with consequent maturity and loyal user bases - Prism will be well aware there's quite a lot of catchup to play in that specific market area.
The last time I saw Chris Allen from Prism, I asked him if there was any possibility of them getting Sadie working on OSX in the future.

He said that it wouldn't be likely!
Old 10th September 2009
I had questions about the use of Sadie Native on Vista/Windows 7 64 bit operating systems. The rep said 64 bit will not be supported on the release, but it will probably come in the future. Window 7 and Vista will be supported.

As for price, he said it hasn't been set, but will be "competitive" for a program of this caliber. Probably meaning somewhere along the lines of Pyramix Native or Sequoia. We shall see.

Overall, just having this program native is great news.
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
Couldn't agree more: we've been with SADiE since the turn of the century and though we have other hardware (Pyramix) and software (Seqioua) workstations for various tasks, it's SADiE which we still regard as our main machine.

All the best,

Eric

Philosophers Barn Mastering
@URM Audio Ltd
Norfolk UK

I can imagine.

I worked for more then 10 years on sadies and till now after working with wavelab/burner and sequoia I still think its the best editor for me.

Saturday i go to the IBC and the first place will be the sadie stand.
Nice people btw.
Old 11th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
Couldn't agree more: we've been with SADiE since the turn of the century and though we have other hardware (Pyramix) and software (Seqioua) workstations for various tasks, it's SADiE which we still regard as our main machine.

All the best,

Eric

Philosophers Barn Mastering
@URM Audio Ltd
Norfolk UK
I wonder if they plan on Re-introducing SADiE DSD, an updated version
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I wonder if they plan on Re-introducing SADiE DSD, an updated version
A DSD workstation absolutely requires a dedicated hardware platform. A native software version will not work for DSD.

But I sure would love to see Prism/SADiE continue the work on the DSD-8. It is still one of my favorite audio tools!

Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX View Post
A DSD workstation absolutely requires a dedicated hardware platform.
I disagree. A DSD workstation requires DSD capable AD and DA - which would have to involve some sort of specialized sound card to at least carry the DSD stream to external converters at the minimum - but there's no reason why current faster cpu's couldn't handle 6 channels of playback and recording of DSD in a well coded native app.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
I disagree. A DSD workstation requires DSD capable AD and DA - which would have to involve some sort of specialized sound card to at least carry the DSD stream to external converters at the minimum - but there's no reason why current faster cpu's couldn't handle 6 channels of playback and recording of DSD in a well coded native app.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yes that is what I was thinking about, the card and the DSD editing software being sold together, let users install the card into their own PC, instead of having a Dedicated DSD workstation. Of course those who want a complete workstation they can have that to offer.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Yes that is what I was thinking about, the card and the DSD editing software being sold together, let users install the card into their own PC, instead of having a Dedicated DSD workstation. Of course those who want a complete workstation they can have that to offer.
I don't think so. For one thing, Philips offer a card / software system already, for another thing, the previous DSD hardware was BIG (not only a PC card but a whole other board), so they'd have to design brand new hardware... and I don't think there's a market for it.

TBH, Sadie going native, imo, is just too little too late. I doubt they have enough leverage at this point to increase their market share considerably by going native.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A new-look SADiE website has gone up in recent days with some further info. about the new software.

SADiE home page

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search