The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SADIE what do you think? DAW Software
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
I don't think so. For one thing, Philips offer a card / software system already, for another thing, the previous DSD hardware was BIG (not only a PC card but a whole other board), so they'd have to design brand new hardware... and I don't think there's a market for it.

TBH, Sadie going native, imo, is just too little too late. I doubt they have enough leverage at this point to increase their market share considerably by going native.
I think you should take a look at a basic Sonoma DSD Kit , take away the Meitner Converters and you would see what i am talking about

Quote:
Sonoma/Meitner 8 track kit (No Computer)

The Sonoma/Meitner 8 track kit includes:

* Sonoma PCI card
* Meitner MK IV 8 channel DSD A to D converter
* Meitner MK IV 8 channel DSD D to A converter
* 30 meter optical cable set
* Sonoma System Software USB Key, Software, and License
And that is a Basic start for getting into DSD
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

WOW SADiE 6 Looks pretty
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I think you should take a look at a basic Sonoma DSD Kit , take away the Meitner Converters and you would see what i am talking about
I understand what you're proposing, it's not rocket science. I was saying that in order to offer that, Sadie would have to design brand new hardware (the one in the DSD8 is a whole daughterboard, not just a PCI card) and I just don't see enough of a market for it to make it worthwhile.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand what you're proposing, it's not rocket science. I was saying that in order to offer that, Sadie would have to design brand new hardware (the one in the DSD8 is a whole daughterboard, not just a PCI card) and I just don't see enough of a market for it to make it worthwhile.
Well Naturally they would have to build new hardware, and I'm not saying that such a thing would be easy to do or cost effective, my idea just a way they can package it, so that it would be "within reach". Again just an Idea.
You don't see a market for an affordable HW/SW Combo for DSD or for DSD itself?
Because if you look at the sales of the Korg DSD units i think that DSD can still have a future.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
You don't see a market for an affordable HW/SW Combo for DSD or for DSD itself?
Because if you look at the sales of the Korg DSD units i think that DSD can still have a future.
That's true. But I'm not sure it would work in the price range that Sadie usually target their products for. I mean a DSD card / capable DAW software combo for $1000 would probably be interesting to some, if DSD is integrated well. But for, say, $5000 things would, I think, look quite different.
Old 12th September 2009
Mastering

Quote:
That's true. But I'm not sure it would work in the price range that Sadie usually target their products for. I mean a DSD card / capable DAW software combo for $1000 would probably be interesting to some, if DSD is integrated well. But for, say, $5000 things would, I think, look quite different.
You also have to understand the original architecture of SADiE's DSD workstation. What they did was to use all their original software and hardware talking to a hardware daughter card that I think was supplied by Sony. So translating this to an all-native workstation would be incredibly difficult and require complete native translation to DSD. It's not gonna happen....

Pyramix has transcoding solutions and works in DXD (high sample rate 8 bit PCM, I believe) that they believe is down-convertable to everything. And I believe them, at least audibly, since I've auditioned the 352 kHz DXD versions of various programs and it does seem to be the "uber-master" sonically. There IS A LOSS going to single rate DSD to my ears. It's a pleasant-sounding (euphonic) loss and a very nice delivery medium to my ears, though!

To be honest, anything at or above 192 kHz/24 bit PCM sounds like the analog source to my ears, in blind shootouts.

I really wish that SACD, especially multichannel SACD took off. The ability to just pop in a disc into a player and instantly get surround with no muss, fuss, videos or menus is quite nice. I can't stress that more highly. There are a few audiophile labels publishing in Blu-Ray and SACD and the Blu-Ray takes so long to load and then put up and you still need the video (most times) so it's a Royal Pain to play surround music unless it's on SACD. Take a look at the 2L label from Norway for some very progressive (and continually-being released) physical Classical surround product on Blu-Ray and SACD.

BK
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz View Post
You also have to understand the original architecture of SADiE's DSD workstation. What they did was to use all their original software and hardware talking to a hardware daughter card that I think was supplied by Sony.
A huge daughter-board even.

Quote:
So translating this to an all-native workstation would be incredibly difficult and require complete native translation to DSD. It's not gonna happen....
Indeed. As I wrote, it would require completely new hardware and, as you suggest, a software for native handling of DSD too.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok , understood

Quote:
I really wish that SACD, especially multichannel SACD took off. The ability to just pop in a disc into a player and instantly get surround with no muss, fuss, videos or menus is quite nice.
I totally agree with you Bob. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search