The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hypex Ncore DIY Hardware
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Hypex Ncore

Did you guys see the Ncore modules are shipping on the 12th of June?

Looking forward to building mine.

Has anyone heard them yet?
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As far as I know, the NC400 has been shipping for some months now.

Or is the finally a NC180 coming up?
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Maniac

They had been out of stock. The NC400 is what I ordered.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Oh, OK.

I'm going to build a 6-channel Ncore amp the day the smaller amps come into market. It makes no sense to drive a tweeter with a 400 model.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
Oh, OK.

I'm going to build a 6-channel Ncore amp the day the smaller amps come into market. It makes no sense to drive a tweeter with a 400 model.
Hi!

I'd say that depends on the point of crossing and the sensitivity of the drivers in the system. Some program material actually has the highest peak levels in the mid/higs even though the average power typically is small in the highs.

I assume the 400 modell put out 200W in 8ohm and in many systems you need that or more in order to avoid clipping.

/Peter
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'm interested to read opinions from anyone who gets to hear the Ncore's up against the UcD400HG's. I have a pair of MidiMonO's sitting here now (UcD400HG amps built by Hypex). Waiting until my Tyler D1's get here to hear them!

I'm wondering how the two compare. On paper it seems like the Ncore modules are a big step forward but I'm wondering if that is true from a more practical, real world listening perspective.

FWIW Hypex told me they will have the Ncore available as a complete product in quarter 4 of this year for the other none DIY savvy out there.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

I've had the ncore 400 up for a while now, and they replaced a dual mono UcD700. They're a significant difference in the sound. The UcD sounded quite a bit more aggressive, and perhaps more impressive as well. The ncore is a lot more subtle. It sounds much more like class A amps I've used.

I'm looking forward to a chance to actually A/B them with some Brystons when we move, but I'm very happy with them as is.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Looks like I'll be builiding a new amplifier later this year.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
[QUOTE=Marcocet;8038650]I've had the ncore 400 up for a while now, and they replaced a dual mono UcD700. They're a significant difference in the sound. The UcD sounded quite a bit more aggressive, and perhaps more impressive as well. The ncore is a lot more subtle. It sounds much more like class A amps I've used. /QUOTE]

That's a puzzler. I find nothing aggressive about the UcD. I look forward to more comments from other listeners.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
That's a puzzler. I find nothing aggressive about the UcD. I look forward to more comments from other listeners.
I'm not saying that I would call the UcD amps on their own aggressive, merely that the Ncore seems somehow more sedate, more subtle. Smoother if you will. I find the difference in power amps extremely difficult to put in words I like them both a lot.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If they turn out to be significantly better I'll have to try them on my mids and tweeters. You first, Jaakko!
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
If they turn out to be significantly better I'll have to try them on my mids and tweeters. You first, Jaakko!
I wonder if I should try out the switchers for the PSU's, just for the heck of it. But perhaps I'll chicken out and just build a big linear supply, as always.
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
After emailing directly the designer of the Hypex amplifiers, Mr. Putzeys, he advised to go with the SMPS400 for a Ucd400HG build (one SMPS for each channel).

Also, on a diy audio forum some chaps were discussing SMPS vs Linear PSUs and presented some graphs etc... the graphs were beyond my understanding but there was an overriding opinion that the SMPS sounded better - especially in the bass region. It was also explained that the SMPS is better equipped to deliver vast energy required for bass transients. Sorry it was some time ago I researched this and do not have any direct links to the information. Just after some serious deliberation and research the SMPS seemed the best choice.

I must say I do not regret it - the setup with SMPS sounds absolutely outstanding and has the tightest most controlled bass I have ever experienced.

If you go with the switch mode PSU it's worth installing some power filters before each PSU - these ones work perfect: FN2010B-6-06 - SCHAFFNER - FILTER, 6A, MEDICAL, CHASSIS MOUNT | Farnell United Kingdom

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks for the input, Charles. The fact that Bruno stands behind using switchers is reassuring to me. And it would be interesting to build a new amp with a completely different PSU topology.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Charles. The fact that Bruno stands behind using switchers is reassuring to me. And it would be interesting to build a new amp with a completely different PSU topology.
I will also build an ncore later on this year. I have a UCD400 based amp now (still love it!) with linear PSU now and i had the same 'doubt' about the switched PSU but since they promote it theirselves i will also go for a smps.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
I will also build an ncore later on this year. I have a UCD400 based amp now (still love it!) with linear PSU now and i had the same 'doubt' about the switched PSU but since they promote it theirselves i will also go for a smps.
Since I'm going for a 3-way build, I could also use switchers for the woofers and linears for the mids+tweeters.

One thing about switchers is that if they blow up, they can be tricky to fix. A linear supply could be ghetto-fixed in an hour with junkbox parts.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since I'm going for a 3-way build, I could also use switchers for the woofers and linears for the mids+tweeters.

One thing about switchers is that if they blow up, they can be tricky to fix. A linear supply could be ghetto-fixed in an hour with junkbox parts.
true.. I have one big advantage, Hypex is dutch and so am I
To be honest, i never really checked how an SMPS actually works, i'm also kind of like the transformer type of guy.
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Yes, personally would not attempt to service an SMPS, I'd probably blow myself a new orifice. But the SMPS400 module is almost half the price it was - now at 81 euros. It would be economical to keep a couple of these spare for a straight swap in case of failure.

A question regards Hypex is whether to get another 2 x UCD400HG or Ncore to bi amp a pair of B&W 802 S3... On another thread there was an opinion that bi amping the B&W was a step down sonically - which is strange and contrary to general opinion about bi-amping.

Right now with 2 UCD400HG HxR the sound is really good so maybe "if it aint broke don't fix it" but as always one can't help but wonder....

Last edited by CharlesCola; 6th July 2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added a bit
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I ran my UCD400HXR with the switched PSUs (one per module) and they sounded great. I never compared to a linear PSU with those amps but the SMPS didn't cause me any concern. I'll build some nCore later this year I hope and will definitely go SMPS for convenience.
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Nut
Guys, would you reccomend it for a pair of B&W 801 MATRIX III ?
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisi View Post
Guys, would you reccomend it for a pair of B&W 801 MATRIX III ?
Yes!!!!!!
Old 16th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
I'm running a pair of B&W Nautilus 800's here at TP and got to demo the Ncore. Its absolutely INSANE to see an amplifier the size of a 6 inch veggie subsandwich powering the 300lb+ B&W's but let me tell you, I really didn't even feel like they were inconvenienced by them.
I originally had a Mark Levinson No333 powering them and I currently have Emotovia mono blocks. If I had the money Ncore would be in hand now. They have ZERO noise floor and as mentioned above do feel like a Class A land yacht (tons of power to spare, very dynamic and able to drive complex loads).
Anyway, if you have the means get some, the guy is a freakin' genius.
Old 16th August 2012
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
Yes!!!!!!
Old 16th August 2012
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmoon View Post
I'm running a pair of B&W Nautilus 800's here at TP and got to demo the Ncore. Its absolutely INSANE to see an amplifier the size of a 6 inch veggie subsandwich powering the 300lb+ B&W's but let me tell you, I really didn't even feel like they were inconvenienced by them.
I originally had a Mark Levinson No333 powering them and I currently have Emotovia mono blocks. If I had the money Ncore would be in hand now. They have ZERO noise floor and as mentioned above do feel like a Class A land yacht (tons of power to spare, very dynamic and able to drive complex loads).
Anyway, if you have the means get some, the guy is a freakin' genius.
thanks nick!
I wanted someone to tell me that since a while now!
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So now we're down the track a fair way, have many of you replaced your UCD700HR with NCORE?

If so, what are your observations?

King Willy
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No one?

Guess I'll just stick with the 700Hg HXR modules then...
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Nut

Verified Member
a few of us are waiting for the NCORE but of smaller power..(bi amp)
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

I am running ncores here and have tried the lower powerd ucd400 HXR modules in the studio, both driving my tyler D1s.

I my opinion I preferred the ncores, they were a touch smoother and the bottom end was a touch more solid/defined, but it is getting to the finer end of the scale and the difference is not night and day. I would be happy with either, although I should mention that I don't drive my speakers hard, so maybe there are bigger differences when pushed and some speakers may provide more complicated loads.
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That sounds like my experience when I recently shot out the 400s against the 700s. The difference was not night and day for sure and I thought that if my 700s blew up I could survive on the 400s - they were a little grainier and not as smooth, but I doubt my wife would have even noticed.

King Willy
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search