The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
running order for vinyl mastering, please help
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

running order for vinyl mastering, please help

I working on the running order of an album i produced that will come out on 12" vinyl
the album is 47min long so in tehory i can get two sides of 23.5min (-3db 33 1/3rpm).
but i can't find a musical running order i like that will divide exactly at the middle, the best it goes is 22min+25min is there anyway to put this on vinyl @-3db or must i go with -6db, and if so will the difference be critical.
the music is acoustic singer/songwriter with some a bit louder rock touches...
thanks
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Cutting those side lengths shouldn't be a problem at all - although a 25 minute side is indeed a long one - but if it's dynamic music instead of constantly loud stuff then if you get your sides cut by an experienced ME using a good pitch/depth computer then they should still be able to get a satisfactory level on the masters for you.

You'll need to let the cutting engineer know whether you want them to go for maximum possible level for each side (in which case the 22min side will be about 1 to 2dBVu louder than the 25 minute side) - or if you want them to have both sides cut to the same level.

I'd also recommend making whatever are the quietest songs to be the last ones on the sides so that it is easier to cut them (i.e. the inner grooves always play back with more distortion due to tracing errors - so it's best to have quieter material at these points).

I'd suggest maybe looking into getting Direct Metal Mastering as it is very well suited towards longer sides of this type of genre and in this case I think will get you better peak levels and sound (i.e. better definition of high freq's) than lacquer mastering.

GZ in Czech, Exchange & Abbey Road in London, & Optimal in Germany can all do DMM at this point.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron
You'll need to let the cutting engineer know whether you want them to go for maximum possible level for each side (in which case the 22min side will be about 1 to 2dBVu louder than the 25 minute side) - or if you want them to have both sides cut to the same level.
and what would one recommend to do normally?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search