The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Abbey Road Online Mastering. Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 20th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by allarms View Post
Cool, but that is compatible with the "loads of as good or even better not famous options out there, some of them you can try for free" idea.
That's if one has the time to do that. And that's the beauty of the internet right, if you have the time to fish for skilled folks then it's all around us. I'm certainly not saying that if you don't have a hit record then you don't deserve respect.
Old 20th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
.. but that was my whole point. If you have a great mix and great song, then taking a slight risk with somebody without a brand name like Abbey Road will most likely result in at least equally good results, sometimes it might even be "different" in a good way.

That's what I tried to say with the word "stagnation". If everybody only uses the status quo nothing ever moves forward. The same "sound" permeates the universe and we are all doomed.
Studios don't govern the type of stagnation in sound that you're suggesting. Studios are just gear, walls, and various different people. You're not going to walk into Abbey Road and walk out sounding like the Beatles or some famous British boy band. I'm also not sure how having a good reputation makes one the status quo, it's called earned respect. And if you have a mastering studio that is competitive with Abbey Road's, then the old adage of "talent attracts...." then you'll be just fine. It's a mater of just doing the work and letting it speak for it's self. Studio's like Abbey Road or more or less appealing to a certain clientele that has a need for their type of service, Class-A.
Old 20th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music 1 View Post
Quote:
8. ABBEY ROAD CREDIT
...we do not grant you any permission to use the Abbey Road and/or the Service’s name, logo and/or brand and/or the name of our individual mastering engineer in any way

This one's also B.S. Sorry, they should send the lawyers on permanent holiday.
wait...so you can't credit the actual engineer????? ......sure does make you question who's ACTUALLY mastering your music
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Head

Just wanted to add...

...that my band have just had our new single mastered online at Abbey Road by Frank Arkwright. Pleasure to work with start to finish and the master sounds great. It was recorded and mixed by us over a week and the mastering took the mix to a new height!

Great stuff. Will definitely be using them and Frank again.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

I'll add that Steve Rooke mastered some material for me in the spring (attended session) at Abbey Road, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Top class service from A-Z, and now that I've worked with him in person, I'll be sending more work his way via the online service.
Old 17th April 2015
Gear interested

Abbey Road Online Mastering Attempts to Make Fools of Everyone

I'm afraid the cynics and skeptics are right about this one.

My use of Abbey Raod Online Mastering services convinced me it's little more than a scam. The mastered track I received from them, about one day after I'd submitted it, was so poorly treated that it was completely unusable.

I've concluded that the engineer, whom I chose especially and paid the extra £20 to engage for the project, must not have even listened to his handiwork at all, but rather merely applied a limiter very crudely, and not much else. No professional would have signed off on the finished job they finally turned in.

The one free revision they provided was just as unacceptable.
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, I had a client recently that received an atrocious master from a very well regarded UK mastering house ( not Abbey Road in this instance).

It was hyper compressed and limited with a very harsh eq curve, lost dynamics and very distorted. It was also not peaking full scale and appeared that whoever was responsible goosed the limiter an extra dB, perhaps in an attempt to make it mfit compliant?

Clearly it must have been done out of hours by a junior engineer, but it goes to show that these places aren't necessarily outputting work that you would expect from their reputation. A shame when you consider they charge up to 3 or 4 times for a poorer result than someone more dedicated but whose name is less well known.

Communication is key and I agree it's the person not the name of the facility that matters.

Cheers

Conundra
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLvis View Post
I'm afraid the cynics and skeptics are right about this one.

My use of Abbey Raod Online Mastering services convinced me it's little more than a scam. The mastered track I received from them, about one day after I'd submitted it, was so poorly treated that it was completely unusable.

I've concluded that the engineer, whom I chose especially and paid the extra £20 to engage for the project, must not have even listened to his handiwork at all, but rather merely applied a limiter very crudely, and not much else. No professional would have signed off on the finished job they finally turned in.

The one free revision they provided was just as unacceptable.
Could you post a snippet of the unmastered and the mastered version? Would be great.
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

nearly all mastering engineers have clients who working before with other studios/engineers and the reason to change was, that they wasn't 100% happy - so we hear more often bad than good experiences with other competitors ;-)

Last edited by teebaum; 17th April 2015 at 02:43 PM..
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Addict

Verified Member
A new client told me this few days back "PS: Your master killed the Abbey Road Online Mastering-version I received, just so you know "

I didn't hear their master though and I'm not here to dis any other studio but it's not the first time I hear this....just saying....
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

A name like Abbey Road has a lot of gravitas. A band I was in 20 years ago insisted on getting their material mastered there, largely to mention them on the CD. They were huge Beatles fans.

When I was at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt yesterday, I noticed that Abbey Road was now also offering an audio engineering and music production course.

Last edited by Chris Bauer; 18th April 2015 at 12:48 PM..
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
nearly all mastering engineers have clients who working before with other studios/engineers and the reason to change was, that they wasn't 100% happy - so we hear more often bad than good experiences with other competitors ;-)
Right...and add to this the fact that no one here will write about lost shootouts or client who went elsewhere...:-)
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibu View Post
Right...and add to this the fact that no one here will write about lost shootouts or client who went elsewhere...:-)

... and you also didn't know when they try a other engineer after they worked with you - so you know only, when your the winner - good for the ego ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah View Post
A new client told me this few days back "PS: Your master killed the Abbey Road Online Mastering-version I received, just so you know "

I didn't hear their master though and I'm not here to dis any other studio but it's not the first time I hear this....just saying....
i love companies who unaware fill my agenda
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

double post
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Addict

Verified Member
right back at ya
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Could you post a snippet of the unmastered and the mastered version? Would be great.
Trolls only post nonsense, don't get your hopes up...FWIW.
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMS View Post
Trolls only post nonsense, don't get your hopes up...FWIW.
Oh, I never do ... Audio examples to back up a statement is as rare as guilt free masturbation in this place.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Bumping this one.

Was hoping for some more experiences regarding this service? Close to finish a five track EP and considering getting the tracks mastered online by AR... Getting the AR name in the EP booklet is part of the deal I guess, but they have great gear and (more important) great mastering engineers I assume? Any input is appreciated.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Abbey Road mastering exprience

I sent one of my track to Abbey road online service and got it mastered by Sean Magee (so actually paid extra as he is a senior engineer there)
I wasn't too happy as some distortion appeared that wasn't in the original file
He did a revision but still wasn't very glad about it (they're not cheap either)
I ended up having the whole album mastered by Robert Hadley (Mastering labs) who did a much better work

There are so many great ME in the US unless you're doing something super pop I wouldn't really use their service

I'd rather check Brian Lucey, Robert Hadley, Masterdisk
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

If people wouldn't take a blind chance on Abby Road, what else would they consider? The focus on the negative here really needs to be inverted to reality.

None will ever get a strait answer though because the nature of the business is to debunk thee then pimp yourself instead.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBoyZ View Post
I sent one of my track to Abbey road online service and got it mastered by Sean Magee (so actually paid extra as he is a senior engineer there)
I wasn't too happy as some distortion appeared that wasn't in the original file
He did a revision but still wasn't very glad about it (they're not cheap either)
I ended up having the whole album mastered by Robert Hadley (Mastering labs) who did a much better work

There are so many great ME in the US unless you're doing something super pop I wouldn't really use their service

I'd rather check Brian Lucey, Robert Hadley, Masterdisk
Thanks. Open to other options as well, of course. The genre is sort of a blues, pop, soul hybrid. It would be at home in AR I'd say but if you (or anyone else) have other suggestions, they're welcome!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

For this style I would seriously consider Robert Hadley. Mastering labs was shut down but he has his own studio now (as far as I know) and more reasonable prices. He's mastered a lot of Jazz (Ray Charles), blues, pop over the last 20 years. Just check him out he's in the top A league. He mastered one of my album it was perfect the first time.

Robert Hadley | Credits | AllMusic
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Well you can consider a lot of very great mastering engineers
Abbey Road use their name and fame to keep their business floating
I'm not here to debunk anyone but I actually used their online mastering service and it cost me over $160 for a song
I wasn't happy with it nor the revision because first of all they injected distortion that wasn't there in the first place and secondly because it wasn't great musically speaking nothing exciting or worth my money
I had the same tune and the whole album mastered by another engineer that did a much better job
I was sad to find out that Abbey Road didn't meet my expectations because it always look good to put their credit on your album right ? But if it's not good it's not what can I say ?
Now you have some of the best ME in L.A and some charge way less now because business is changing or they go independent
I would also consider some guys in Nashville and NYC
Just look up artists you like and where their album was mastered
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

Thanks for your responses!

Most of my favorite albums are mastered by either Gateway or Sterling and those are out of my league, price wise. I'll still check 'em out and Robert Hadley as well, thanks you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search