The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
to EQ before compression or to compress before EQ ..
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
to EQ before compression or to compress before EQ ..

Question : what is with you're expirience the most used setup in your analog chain ... first you're EQ's and then your compressors or a mixed setup ( or are you using a patchbay ) ... like EQ1 - COMP1 -EQ2 - COMP2 and do you vary a lot .. or is your setup always the same sequence ... you old dogs !!!! :-)

right now my setup most of the times WEISS EQ1 -> DA -> then the Tubetech smc-2B -> NSEQ-2 and after The NSEQ-2 there's the manley-vari-mu ... and back into the AD - L2 -> DAW

I'm thinking of doing the swap of the TUBETECH after the NSEQ-2 .. main reason is that I feel the tubetech is not that open in the top-end .. but mayby that's the character of the unit ... and it's getting used way less then the manley ... ( yes I have to addmit ... )

I can switch to a XLR patch .. but my analog chain is connected by nice van den HUL cable with top XLR connectors .. that's why i don't transfer the analog chain to a xlr-patchbay ..

greetings Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 19th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl
Question : what is with you're expirience the most used setup in your analog chain ... first you're EQ's and then your compressors or a mixed setup ( or are you using a patchbay ) ... like EQ1 - COMP1 -EQ2 - COMP2 and do you vary a lot .. or is your setup always the same sequence ... you old dogs !!!! :-)

right now my setup most of the times WEISS EQ1 -> DA -> then the Tubetech smc-2B -> NSEQ-2 and after The NSEQ-2 there's the manley-vari-mu ... and back into the AD - L2 -> DAW

I'm thinking of doing the swap of the TUBETECH after the NSEQ-2 .. main reason is that I feel the tubetech is not that open in the top-end .. but mayby that's the character of the unit ... and it's getting used way less then the manley ... ( yes I have to addmit ... )

I can switch to a XLR patch .. but my analog chain is connected by nice van den HUL cable with top XLR connectors .. that's why i don't transfer the analog chain to a xlr-patchbay ..

greetings Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
It can be pretty subtle, but there are enough occasions where it's better to compress before EQ so that would be my general recommendation. A frequency boost in front of the compressor can cause that range to be knocked down a bit when that is not the intended effect. That said, I've got my analog compressor in front of my EQ, but most times my digital compressor after the EQ with no obvious harm. But if I have a sibilance problem and at the same time I need to get some presence out of a frequency range, it's probably better to De-ess first, and/or compress first.

I have two Weiss DS1-Mk2's and in my most common digital patch, one is in front of the EQ and one is after, so I'll put any compression chores that might not like a severe or strong EQ boost into the first compressor.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Basically what he^^^ said. Comp will change the eq of the signal in alot of cases, so I like to eq after comp. However, you can change the way your comp reacts to a signal by boosting certain freqs - therefore you'd do that pre comp. But then you'd probably eq after the comp as well in that case.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I just go with corrective EQ first (the vast majority of the time) and perhaps shaping after. Sometimes shaping before... Depends on the mood. But corrective EQ almost always before any dynamics.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Basically what he^^^ said. Comp will change the eq of the signal in alot of cases, so I like to eq after comp. However, you can change the way your comp reacts to a signal by boosting certain freqs - therefore you'd do that pre comp. But then you'd probably eq after the comp as well in that case.
You also could consider to bus the signal and eq it as radical as you like to change the reaction from the compressor and feed it to the side chain input.
and put the mastering eq behind the compressor.
the side chain eq can be of the lesser quality type because it will be out of the signal path so you can save a few dollars/euro's. but you will need 2 eq's for this approach.

The other way around you can eq first but buss the clean signal and you're compressor will be react the same with or without eq
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
if needed... both.

JT
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think that if the material delivered is in need of hefty eqing, i have found this best to do before compression.

But as JT said sometimes both.

Sometimes eq compression more eq then compression.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thank's all for you reply's enjoy reading them .. sometimes you ask what you already know .....

But .. what is always last ... EQ or compression ... I think it's logic to have a compressor the last ..... in the end of the chain it should be the compressor.. and in a later ( digital ) stage the limiting ( if needed ) ... or do you sometimes get some mojo EQ ( sontec ) after the last compressor before hitting the AD .. mayby that way that EQ sonic vibe/harmonics/trancients are preserved better ...

I should do some work now ....

greetings/thanks ... enjoy the music ...

wim
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think its safe to say a limiter will go last in this day and age.

But i sometimes throw in some high end just before the limiter.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
I think its safe to say a limiter will go last in this day and age.

But i sometimes throw in some high end just before the limiter.

Interesting ......
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

it depends on the material i get.

my chain (80% on mastering) is the deesing, Comp, EQing, Multiband Comp, Eqing, Softlimiting.

the multiband compression is often working as dynamik eqing, wich is working more subtle compression, adding more punch on certain bands.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search